Foot cramps

Old Man

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've had problems with foot and lower leg cramps since I started BJJ. I started eating bananas before class, and that helped. Lately I've been drinking coconut water on days I train and I think that helps too. Once I chugged a Gatorade before class, and I almost puked when a guy got knee on belly. Not doing that again.

I don't have severe foot cramps like I used to, but I'm still feeling like my feet and lower legs aren't working quite right. Can anyone recommend a supplement or some exercises?

I've had problems with foot and lower leg cramps since I started BJJ. I started eating bananas before class, and that helped. Lately I've been drinking coconut water on days I train and I think that helps too. Once I chugged a Gatorade before class, and I almost puked when a guy got knee on belly. Not doing that again.

I don't have severe foot cramps like I used to, but I'm still feeling like my feet and lower legs aren't working quite right. Can anyone recommend a supplement or some exercises?
I get this too a little bit sometimes. Try elevating your legs and letting the blood drain. I think a hot bath with epsom salt helps too. Stretching plus massage couldn't hurt either.

I've suffered from cramps at night for quite a while now. TBH, nothing seems to be working very effectively. Lots of water, stretching, etc., don't seem to have much effect, if at all.
The only thing that kinda helps is to watch my sodium intake. I can have a light diner but if it is loaded with salt, I know I'll wake up at 1AM with huge cramps. So I now order my fries without salt when dining out, ha !

I've suffered from cramps at night for quite a while now. TBH, nothing seems to be working very effectively. Lots of water, stretching, etc., don't seem to have much effect, if at all.
The only thing that kinda helps is to watch my sodium intake. I can have a light diner but if it is loaded with salt, I know I'll wake up at 1AM with huge cramps. So I now order my fries without salt when dining out, ha !
I suffer from leg cramps at night sometimes, strangely only in periods in which I'm particularly stressed.
Taking Magnesium totally solves the problem, for me.

Mg doesn't do much for me unfortunately, neither does drinking 1+ gallon of water per day.
Last night I woke up every 20 minutes between 11PM and 3AM, then at least every hour until I woke up at 6.30AM.
Let's say I didn't have a great performance at the gym at 7AM...

After making this post I started looking for some type of electrolyte drink. I ended up making my own by taking water and adding lite salt and lemon juice (for taste). Lite salt is 50% salt and 50% potassium chloride. I drink this while I train. This drink has completely solved my problems with leg and foot cramps.

After making this post I started looking for some type of electrolyte drink. I ended up making my own by taking water and adding lite salt and lemon juice (for taste). Lite salt is 50% salt and 50% potassium chloride. I drink this while I train. This drink has completely solved my problems with leg and foot cramps.
I did something simular when I was having cramps for a period of time. It was mostly workout related though, so not something that was much of an issue during the day. I mixed in some salt, lemon, a little honey, a little magnesium and a little zink. Worked real well for me.

I get that too during BJJ, still a looking for a solution...

In grappling we use our legs and feet a lot and in crazy positions too so I think that's actually normal, I wouldn't worry too much. Try stretching, moving around more during the day so you're not too stiff during practices, hydrate well before training and if doesn't change then try some magnesium. Epson salt bath or soaks are great too, very helpful for muscle recovery.

Ever tried compression calf sleeves like joggers wear? Flight attendants are known to wear compression stockings to help blood flow/pressure in legs.

Magnesium + sodium supplements will help with cramps. I drink saltwater throughout the day. Definitely helps with cramps.

Check out Dr. James DiNicolantio's stuff.

Should be easily fixed. I used to have them when I was swimming. Take some electrolyte capsules. Sodium + calcium + magnesium + potassium. You need the calcium with it too.

Back