Salamone's takedowns for BJJ are the best wrestling DVDs I've ever seen -- like Rickson

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

This is the only clip I could find on youtube. It's a good clip, but doesn't highlight his incredible "invisible jiu-jitsu" details.

Salamone's "Wrestling Plan For The Jiu-Jitsu Man" is amazing. I've never seen so much detail packed into one instructional. He spends entire DVDs telling you what to do with your arms, your balance, your weight, etc. when you drop and shoot on someone's legs. And these aren't worthless details: they're basically details you would naturally pick up after years of wrestling.

Maybe this DVD series speaks to me in particular because I've been doing some of these things on my own, even though no one ever told me to do them, because it seemed like the only way to make my shots faster and harder. For the last little while I've been trying to incorporate Jack Dempsey's drop step from Championship Boxing into my shoots because it seemed like it would fix a lot of my problems. Imagine my surprise when I find an entire DVD series dedicated to every possible detail of shooting with a drop step. All this time I thought I was just doing some bullshit thing to compensate for the fact that I couldn't shoot properly.

Just like Dempsey, he says you must make contact with your opponent before you hit the ground. He tells you how to prime your shot using your balance and to how to shoot your hands out to gather maximum momentum when you explode forward. He tells you a million little things that, once lined up, immediately change the entire game. I literally can't believe how fast I am now. My 220lbs body is flying through the air like a little guy. Unreal.

I highly recommend you get your hands on this series.

More clips available on his facebook page.

I bought 2 DVDs years ago and they where awsome. I would love to see the rest but I think the series was never finished.

tenor.gif

There's a guy training with us now that was a top 10 D1 wrestler. The details shown in that clip you linked to are the closest thing I've seen online to working with him.

Great stuff

For the last little while I've been trying to incorporate Jack Dempsey's drop step from Championship Boxing into my shoots because it seemed like it would fix a lot of my problems. Imagine my surprise when I find an entire DVD series dedicated to every possible detail of shooting with a drop step.
This one is especially interesting to me https://www.facebook.com/SalamonesWrestlingPlan/videos/207605092672745/ , because what he says about leading with your hands is exactly how a fencing lunge works, but I'd never thought to consciously apply the idea in wrestling.

That doesn't surprise me at all. This guy is the Rickson of smashing into people at waist-height. So many little tweaks.

Ha that's a great line and so true. This guy has such an unusual frame; even his 12 year-old training partner towers over him. He must have just infinite experience wrestling at the belt-lines of his opponents.

Ha that's a great line and so true. This guy has such an unusual frame; even his 12 year-old training partner towers over him. He must have just infinite experience wrestling at the belt-lines of his opponents.

I understand why he was so good, though: even as a middle-aged man in these clips, he's faaaaaast.

Dont take this the wrong way, but comparing Richie Salamone to Rickson isnt the best analogy. Salamone had some competition success, but it was at 105lbs. You get maybe 5 guys in an entire country like America who can even make that weight, let alone have a ton of skill. He was a good wrestler, but lets tone it down a bit.

Some great details on those vids. He really does have an odd build. Seems like a good teacher though.

I bought 2 DVDs years ago and they where awsome. I would love to see the rest but I think the series was never finished.

So this was a multipart set? Do you know how many there is suppose to be? And how many actually got made? Is it worth it to get the ones they did make without the others?

Also does any body know any other good DVDs for wrestling and takedowns for bjj and mma?

Dont take this the wrong way, but comparing Richie Salamone to Rickson isnt the best analogy. Salamone had some competition success, but it was at 105lbs. You get maybe 5 guys in an entire country like America who can even make that weight, let alone have a ton of skill. He was a good wrestler, but lets tone it down a bit.

I think the comparison was more about his teaching emphasis on invisible technique rather than stature in the sport

I was only referring to the quality of his instruction and all the details he was providing that I've never seen before, but make a huge difference. They really blew me away.

"I am finally resurrecting my wrestling instructional series, now called BJJ Wrestling Plan on YouTube. I will begin by putting up my already completed material, about 17 hours. Then I will put up new, yet to be released, pummeling and throwing material. I am a neophyte (and that is using a kind word, other words may be more to the point) with this YouTube and Facebook stuff and it will probably show and be slow going at first but I will become more efficient as I progress. If anyone sees something askew or has suggestions to improve the YouTube channel, please don't hesitate to message me back channel. Please tell your BJJ friends and young wrestlers who are interested in learning the details to make your takedown game successful."

- 3 Hours Ago on his FB page

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAKJuOmKVP9VJMcE0BeSDA - This is going to be the channel it looks

You would have to change things yourself, but the Oklahoma State Wrestling Series is nice, as is the USA coaching syllabus.

I don't really watch 'takedowns for bjj/grappling' but I have watched a little bit of Kohei Yasumi which is quite nice.. but in Japanese

Back