S&C - how to begin? - Fighting

Exothermic

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I’d like to apologize in advance if this is another one of those uncessary threads, I’m an active sherdog lurker usually active in the other categories and found myself in need of some information as I want to start with some actual strength and conditioning training by myself. I’m an active kickboxer who basically has never done some strength training except for the usual routines during the class and of course the boxing work/pad/bag training etc. Now I really am wondering where to start? Calisthenics? Powerlifting? Weights? I’d like to optimize my body and increase my allround body strength, conditioning, resistance and fitness while keeping and actually increasing my speed, fluidity, flexibility etc. I’ve heard from a lot of fighters and allround strength and conditioning coaches that it’s really an essential part of your development and that it shouldn’t be neglected. Any information regarding this? While I don’t really have any strength/power issues during my career that’s mainly due to technique, insight, proper rotation for power delivery and timing. But I suppose if the body and core is stronger the more one can take out of his/her body with the use of proper punch/kick mechanics. Thanks in advance guys, I hope you guys can guide me a bit through the beginning process.

I will start by directing you to the FAQ section. You'll find some good info to read through. Then I would suggest coming back to this thread with questions and shit. But best of luck.

Check out ido portal and mike dolce on youtube.

I personally wouldn't check out Ido portal as a begineer. Feel free to ask questions on the k1 kickboxer thread I started.

Calisthenics and plyometrics worked best for me while doing Muay Thai.

I love weights so I hit them a lot but I reckon it does not do much for the cause. I have done bodybuilding programs, 5x5, 5/3/1.

Altho I would always recommend to squat (even if I fucking hate squats).

Hello guys,

I’d like to apologize in advance if this is another one of those unnecessary threads, I’m an active sherdog lurker usually active in the other categories and found myself in need of some information as I want to start with some actual strength and conditioning training by myself. I’m an active kickboxer who basically has never done some strength training except for the usual routines during the class and of course the boxing work/pad/bag training etc. Now I really am wondering where to start? Calisthenics? Powerlifting? Weights? I’d like to optimize my body and increase my allround body strength, conditioning, resistance and fitness while keeping and actually increasing my speed, fluidity, flexibility etc. I’ve heard from a lot of fighters and allround strength and conditioning coaches that it’s really an essential part of your development and that it shouldn’t be neglected. Any information regarding this? While I don’t really have any strength/power issues during my career that’s mainly due to technique, insight, proper rotation for power delivery and timing. But I suppose if the body and core is stronger the more one can take out of his/her body with the use of proper punch/kick mechanics. Thanks in advance guys, I hope you guys can guide me a bit through the beginning process.

For strikers, speaking to some Muaythai world champions, for strength and conditioning I cam to find out that they really like cable machines. A functional trainer machine with ability to move arms I think is a good place to start. You can do a lot of sports specific movements for striking as well. This is my goto machine You can later on try eccentric loading or compressed air powered like ones. I think this with body weight and kettlebells are more than enough. I use Mike Boyle's 3 sets my 10 concept. I keeps it simple and yet enough effective. No need to complicate it. If get stronger just increase weight and try to keep it at 3 sets and 10 reps. Best of luck!

My guide to becoming a better athlete using S&C
1. Do a dynamic warm up that focuses on mobility and getting your body warm (Limber 11 works great, I’d add in some band face pulls and pull aparts for upper back/shoulders)
2. Do an explosive movement (med ball slams/broad jumps/box jumps/power cleans/etc)
3. Use an established strength program (for beginners I recommend basically any LP, intermediates 5/3/1, and advanced need a real strength coach)
4. Cool down and stretch. Stretch hard and really focus on your weaknesses
5. Repeat over and over again until you die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back