Zodiac (2007)

Great movie. I loved everything about it. I just rewatched it a few weeks ago.

Val Eh Oh
I lived there for a few years. That is what we called the place.

Great movie. Even though I know what happens it always makes me feel tense.

With Vallejo the way it is these days if the Zodiac was active now he would be far from the most dangerous person in the city.

Couldn't find a discussion about this movie here so I figured I'd start one.

Just watched this for the first time recently after the capture of the Golden State Killer sparked my interest in the Zodiac again. This movie is fantastic. I wish that I hadn't taken so long to get to it.

The cast is phenomenal. RDJ, Gyllenhaal, Ruffalo, Cox. This is full of fantastic performances from beginning to end and it looks fantastic. If the performances aren't keeping you interested, how great this is shot should.

It does a great job at making the murder scenes creepy, it probably could've just gone full horror movie and been great. There's also a scene that doesn't involve a murder, but does involve a basement, that is also super well done in that regard.

I'm not exactly sure how accurate the details are to the real thing, but I think it's pretty close based off of what I've read. I'm sure some things are fluffed up a bit to make the movie better or more suspenseful, but they hit the important notes I believe.

zod.gif

But I think this may be in my top 10-15 favorite movies ever.

I'm surprised at the 7.7 on IMDB. That's a good score, but I'd put it at a full point above that. I think some people are turned off at the length but it zoomed by for me.

zodiac-murder-scene.gif

Thoughts?

I just saw Fincher talking about this bottom scene.

Check out The Hillside Stranglers some time if you want to see something real fucked up. It has C Thomas Howell in it.

I ordered the Blu Ray before I passed out last night. Now that it isn't on Netflix I need to have a copy of it.

Was not expecting to love this movie as much as I did.

Great movie, there's a directors commentary by Fincher, makes you appreciate it even more, some clips of it on YouTube

DNA was recently tested on a bloody article of clothing from that victim and they found male blood and have a DNA sample. Unfortunately, Ross is dead, was cremated and his family doesn't want to do any DNA testing on their male relatives.

Now that the GSK case has been solved we know that the family doesn't need to need to 'want' to be involved in DNA testing. They used 4th cousin match from GEDmatch to find DeAngelo and DNA sample from him that came from his garbage, which you don't have any privacy over.

There is a good chance the Zodiac murders were committed by more than one, unrelated, persons.

Great movie, up there with Fincher's best. Hell, I would have a hard time ranking those. By which I mean Fight Club, Seven, Zodiac and The Game.

***spoiler alert*****

The bad guy gets away

Love it. One of my favorite movies of the last 15 years.

The scene with the girl and her baby was pretty interesting. If you have your child with you, probably don't pull over for a stranger in the middle of the night on an empty road, and then accept a ride from him after he obviously sabotaged your vehicle.

I guess that actually happened though? So I should be more upset with the real woman and not the writing for the character.

Apparently, that women's story changed a lot, and she could never keep it straight. It's hard to say what really happened with her, but obviously a scene like that makes the movie because it appeals to the entertainment level.

However, the scene with the couple in the park is basically word for word with the surviving guy's statement. That's one of the most chilling scenes in cinema history for me because something that harrowing actually happened to two people just trying to enjoy a nice day together.

Watched this movie a while back and enjoyed it, not sure I understood the basement scene and all that was going on with it.

Watched this movie a while back and enjoyed it, not sure I understood the basement scene and all that was going on with it.

My take would be that your not sposed to know for sure whats going on and its more Greysmiths paranoia that's the focus.

Saw it once several years ago. Thought the acting was good and it was well shot. Having a basic understanding of the events that took place was enough to keep me interested. Other than that, nothing I can recall particularly stood out about it. Will have to rewatch.

If you loved Zodiac, definitely check out the show Minhunter on netflix, if you haven’t already. It’s basically Zodiac: The Series. Right down to being directed by David Fincher (for a few episodes). High-quality stuff.

It's a very good movie but Robert Graysmith (the real person) got a lot of the facts wrong and his book is riddled with errors. He badly wants Arthur Lee Allen to be the killer to the point that he ignores evidence and tries to make evidence fit ALA.

not particularly interested in watching the movie, Im sure its ok...judging by the cast.

chiming in here to see if any of you((in particular you two)) are watching that It Was Him, TV show about Ed Edwards and what you think of the connections there to the zodiac killings

not particularly interested in watching the movie, Im sure its ok...judging by the cast.

chiming in here to see if any of you((in particular you two)) are watching that It Was Him, TV show about Ed Edwards and what you think of the connections there to the zodiac killings

I actually don’t watch a lot of true crime stuff, I usually hate the genre. There are some rare exceptions, in these cases Fincher sucked me in. Is it good?

Apparently, that women's story changed a lot, and she could never keep it straight. It's hard to say what really happened with her, but obviously a scene like that makes the movie because it appeals to the entertainment level.

Yeah I really enjoyed the scene. It was another one that really succeeded in making the Zodiac seem creepy a shit.

However, the scene with the couple in the park is basically word for word with the surviving guy's statement. That's one of the most chilling scenes in cinema history for me because something that harrowing actually happened to two people just trying to enjoy a nice day together.

Yep. Those kids were just super unlucky. Fantastic scene.

It's interesting that Zodiac was more aggressive toward the girl and the guy survived again.

Back