Video of Raquel Pennington's corner after RD 4

You miss the part where Nate was on the stool and looked like he couldn't stand? It may have been the wrong call - but if she was that adamant, she could have said it more than once and then agree with them.

She did say it more than once.

"I'm done. I'm done. I wanna be done."

"No no no no"

"Yes."

Her coach sent her to the slaughter.

I actually do not fault the corner, because if Raquel won, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

We wouldn't be like, "oh, did you see that video of Raquel quitting, and her team keeping her in the fight. They are great!"

No, because that is what a corner is supposed to do.

The problem is that they should've thrown the towel in when she was in a kneeling fetal position leaking all over the canvass.

That is where they f'd up, and it was pretty sadistic if you ask me.

She did say it more than once.

"I'm done. I'm done. I wanna be done."

"No no no no"

"Yes."

Her coach sent her to the slaughter.

Could she have said that to the ref? Or is that not an option?

I actually do not fault the corner, because if Raquel won, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

We wouldn't be like, "oh, did you see that video of Raquel quitting, and her team keeping her in the fight. They are great!"

No, because that is what a corner is supposed to do.

The problem is that they should've thrown the towel in when she was in a kneeling fetal position leaking all over the canvass.

That is where they f'd up, and it was pretty sadistic if you ask me.
Yea, so much better to be sent back out to get your face smashed in, and now perhaps need multiple surgeries and be sidelined for a much longer period.

Your LIFE is on the line when you step into the cage. This is not a video game.

Could she have said that to the ref? Or is that not an option?

She just got bashed for 4 rounds. She was out of her wits and turned to the person she's supposed to be able to trust to save her. What's so hard to understand here?

She just got bashed for 4 rounds. She was out of her wits and turned to the person she's supposed to be able to trust to save her. What's so hard to understand here?

Nothing is hard to understand. She said she was done, her coach pleaded for her to think about it and go back out there... and she went back out there. She could have said no, I'm done and it wouldn't matter what her coach said.

Bad call in hindsight, but if she was completely washed she shouldn't have went back out there. Her coach told her to reconsider and she did.

Was she getting her ass beat? Ahe seems fine even telling her corner she's done. I didn't watch the fight so what happened? Why did she want to quit¿

How, though? She couldn't get Nunes down, she wasn't going to sub Nunes due to being inferior on the ground, and she hadn't KOed/TKOed anybody since her first professional fight, especially with Nunes just eating everything she had been throwing at her.

Yea, so much better to be sent back out to get your face smashed in, and now perhaps need multiple surgeries and be sidelined for a much longer period.

Your LIFE is on the line when you step into the cage. This is not a video game.

Well to be fair, every time a corner sends their fighter out to compete, there is a chance that they will get their face smashed in, regardless if they have already sustained damage or not.

Last edited:
How, though? She couldn't get Nunes down, she wasn't going to sub Nunes due to being inferior on the ground, and she hadn't KOed/TKOed anybody since her first professional fight, especially with Nunes just eating everything she had been throwing at her.

It's a fight. Anything could happen in a fight.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Well to be fair, every time a corner sends their fighter out to compete, there is a chance that they will get their face smashed in, regardless if they have already sustained damage or not.
The fighter is usually not being forced by the corner to fight. The fighter, in this case, said that they were "done" and got pushed to go out anyways.

If you can't see the difference, that's your problem.

That was bullshit stuff from her corner. She got a broken nose ffs.

Corner guy should be banned

Hindsight is 20/20.
The chances of Pennington winning the fight at the 5th there were about as good as a me or you winning the lottery and getting several million dollars. Her leg was battered due to the leg kicks lowering her mobility. She doesn't have much of a submission game, her KO power is practically non-existent, and she hasn't fought in over a year and a half, this is IGNORING her potentially broken nose at this point which also messes up her breathing. Her best shots Amanda ate with ease to the point she just smiled at them each time.

So tell me, outside of Amanda getting a freak accident during that 5th round, how would Pennington win legit? She wanted out, her coach was able to convince her to fight the last round and hope to just get the decision win but it didn't turn out that way.

Really surprised to see anyone defending the corner. That was sickening.

These are professional fucking fighters. Warriors. They want to be out there. Their team is supposed to be the group that looks objectively at the situation and calls the fight even when the fighter still wants to go out. If the fighter has a broken nose and does not want to go out, that's a fucking no-brainer.

If she was done and really wanted to quit she would have tapped. I missed the end but did she ever tap? Then maybe she hit a mental wall and her coach knew how to motivate her to finish. I recall hearing earlier that jacare had a broken arm and needed up winning some open weight bjj match.

I think doctors and refs should have free reign to stop the fight when this happens. It remains obvious that corners will continue to be idiots when it comes to their fighters.

I think doctors and refs should have free reign to stop the fight when this happens. It remains obvious that corners will continue to be idiots when it comes to their fighters.

They do have the power to stop it, as does the fighter.

That is patently false. Many things can happen in a fight, but not "anything".

For example, Pennington isn't suddenly going to shank Nunes with a shiv. The same way she's not going to finish Nunes via KO/TKO or submission. Her only way out would be a freak injury to Nunes, and the chances of that are so negligible, they might as well be none to negative. Betting on those kinds of odds is a sure way to lose money, but of course the coaches are OK with it, because they're not the ones being pummeled for 20 minutes.

Back