Official Judo Thread

I think I saw this one on Facebook on one of the Judo groups.

Anything specific you want to ask, you are wearing the blue belt, correct ?

Leg grabs really change the dynamics of dealing with the big overhand grip, eh? You opponent didn't do it very well, but still...

You pretty much had the guy outclassed. Decent sleeve control on your part and nice Uchi Mata.

I'm open to any critiques that will help or make me better. I know I need to work on my posture and kazushi. Yes I am the one with the blue belt. As I said in another post I am brown and my opponent is a black belt.

I'm open to any critiques that will help or make me better. I know I need to work on my posture and kazushi. Yes I am the one with the blue belt. As I said in another post I am brown and my opponent is a black belt.

So you want the full monty eh...

This is more a list of things because putting it all together is going to take more than a post, but ...

1. You are flat footed at times. Always be on the balls of your feet.
2. Your grip locations don't seem to have rhyme or reason.
3. Actual grip technique is lacking (like how to hook the fingers, turn the wrist, etc.) and the grip is not used for distance management.
4. Big one is that nothing you are doing is really making kuzushi other than your actual attacks, but no problem in this video because your opponent is giving you plenty of self-kuzushi. Attacking with an end technique to make kuzushi is a valid strategy but also very tiring. Eventually you'd want more tools.
5. Are you right or left? Seems like both of you are switching wildly and don't know how to impose a side / adapt your techniques vs. different opponents.
6. Definitely outside the scope of the video, but eventually you'd want a technique that cuts right through your opponent. You know those samurai demos where they cut through a log cleanly (or someone's head)? Maybe it's called zanshin in Judo. In getting ready for your black belt you should start focusing on the elements that make a killer technique. Right now you throw yourself into it, which is great, but it's not power with precision.

This is more a list of things because putting it all together is going to take more than a post, but ...

3. Actual grip technique is lacking (like how to hook the fingers, turn the wrist, etc.) and the grip is not used for distance management.
4. Big one is that nothing you are doing is really making kuzushi other than your actual attacks, but no problem in this video because your opponent is giving you plenty of self-kuzushi. Attacking with an end technique to make kuzushi is a valid strategy but also very tiring. Eventually you'd want more tools.
5. Are you right or left? Seems like both of you are switching wildly and don't know how to impose a side / adapt your techniques vs. different opponents.
6. Definitely outside the scope of the video, but eventually you'd want a technique that cuts right through your opponent. You know those samurai demos where they cut through a log cleanly (or someone's head)? Maybe it's called zanshin in Judo. In getting ready for your black belt you should start focusing on the elements that make a killer technique. Right now you throw yourself into it, which is great, but it's not power with precision.

1. Will work on.

2. I do have preferred grips but at the same time I tend to be very reactionary to what my opponents do instead of imposing the grips I want. Will work on imposing my grips more.

3. Will look into.

4. Agreed. As I stated in another comment I get away with this because of my strength but it is something I definitely shouldn't rely on all the time (or even most of the time).

5. I am right handed but do throw some throws almost exclusively left. I have also always had an issue of coming in with a left handed stance because other than in grappling it is considered a right handed stance.

6. I believe I understand what you are saying but do you know of any examples specifically for judo? Will see if I can find anything on zanshin.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Will begin to try and implement or work on these.

6. I believe I understand what you are saying but do you know of any examples specifically for judo? Will see if I can find anything on zanshin.

Take any demo video of a world level player and you'll see it. And more often than not you'll see it in their contests as well.

Basically, you threw your opponent sort of at the end of your efforts. Whereas to achieve a good cut-through you need to get uke at the beginning of your power curve. And that is only possible if you have had kuzushi and positioning all lined up before you threw.

Take demos of your favorite throw. Say it's uchimata, and then go understand why Suzuki, Inoue, Yoshida, Yamashita, Sugai, etc. do it their way. I'm listing Japanese of a certain era because there is lots of video and books available. But they are all Japanese and yet do it differently, so it's a good lesson on use cases, body types, and strategy.

Once you understand the mechanics better, you can start refining your throw so you can have power and comfort during a match.

Oh and I'm not sure you'll find much material on zanshin. I heard the term at a clinic once and it thought it was the right description for it, but probably not to helpful to Google.

Sorry for the confusion on my part. You looked like more of a black belt than your opponent.

I'd say you pretty much kicked his butt, your overall posture, gripping, and movement were better. You controlled his constant spamming of the big overhand grip pretty well, and did some nice transitional groundwork, and the use of Te Guruma versus the overhand grip was excellent.

If you were my student, I'd have you work on becoming more aware of your posture and foot position, and work on maintain a more constant migi shizentai stance versus heavy pressure.

Those are refinements, not big mistakes on your part.

Maybe you should start posting videos on facebook etc. now on how to do Judo...

I concur with those details.

I'd say that both judoka were kind of "uncontrolled", with the OP here being the more controlled of the two.

1. Will work on.

2. I do have preferred grips but at the same time I tend to be very reactionary to what my opponents do instead of imposing the grips I want. Will work on imposing my grips more.

3. Will look into.

4. Agreed. As I stated in another comment I get away with this because of my strength but it is something I definitely shouldn't rely on all the time (or even most of the time).

5. I am right handed but do throw some throws almost exclusively left. I have also always had an issue of coming in with a left handed stance because other than in grappling it is considered a right handed stance.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Will begin to try and implement or work on these.

Zanshin means something like "alertness remaining". It is a kind of focus and control, physical and mental domination, of an opponent after a technique is completed, plus awareness of one's environment. It's a term from Japanese martial arts. Although I was taught the concept early on in my Judo, along with kiai, it's not something you here so much about nowadays (in the west, at least, in Judo).

It's one of kind of things things that if you have a grasp of it, you know it when you see it or experience it.

it's the difference between catching someone with a throw and making them fall down. that's why the foot sweeps and uchimata are so sexy. crispness with those techniques relies on a combination of impeccable timing and spatial awareness.

fuckin zanshin

it's the difference between catching someone with a throw and making them fall down. that's why the foot sweeps and uchimata are so sexy. crispness with those techniques relies on a combination of impeccable timing and spatial awareness.

fuckin zanshin

Sense of opportunity is critical for footsweeps. Requires a massive amount of drilling and throwing practice to get it right, and then you find out that the better players provide such small opportunities for them, it's incredibly difficult to catch them.

yeah, zanshin...

You have to love a huge Sode.
100%. I have even been trying to use more sode grips these days in randori/competition.
Hifumi Abe is killing it with this technique these days:

Even Hifumi Abe's sister, Uta Abe likes this throw:

Brown belt is back on and I'm back in the judo game again.

Holy shit I'm fat, slow and out of shape.

Back