Official Women's Division Discussion #25

An interim belt, which I am generally against, would be great just to piss of Leto. He is a good guy, but fun to fuck with about Shevchenko.

@leto1776

Just to make sure he sees this.

:D
She wants a belt so desperately, I’d be fine with it, if the price was sending fat, disrespectful Dern out of the sport.

You know, I’d say that 95% of the time, I love this sport. That other 5%? Usually consists of occasions that either frustrate me, disappoint me, or disgust me.

Dern vs Cooper is definitely an example of all three that fall into that 5%. That a lazy, unconditioned person who obviously doesn’t take the sport seriously, and is only in it for the minor fame it brings, can bring down a fighter who trains full time, and takes it seriously, with a sloppy ass haymaker is definitely an example of the “anything can happen in mma” mantra can make this sport look bad.

You know, I’d say that 95% of the time, I love this sport. That other 5%? Usually consists of occasions that either frustrate me, disappoint me, or disgust me.

Dern vs Cooper is definitely an example of all three that fall into that 5%. That a lazy, unconditioned person who obviously doesn’t take the sport seriously, and is only in it for the minor fame it brings, can bring down a fighter who trains full time, and takes it seriously, with a sloppy ass haymaker is definitely an example of the “anything can happen in mma” mantra can make this sport look bad.
It might just be that Dern has a lot more natural talent than ABC than "anything can happen."

I would say most of the reason why I don't enjoy MMA as much today is because there always seems to be so much drama that's not pertaining to the actual fights. I was thinking this is probably why the early Ronda era was so special to me. It started to turn me from a casual fan to a hardcore fan. Yes the fights were a bit more exciting but I also don't remember a lot of drama going down back then.

I could be wrong and just was ignorant to the drama because I was a newly turned hardcore fan. I just remember having a lot of highs back then and none of the lows that we seem to get weekly now. My main concerns back then was if anyone could last more than a minute with Ronda. If Ronda could armbar a vet like Tate the way she did everyone else. How did Tecia decimate Felice so badly? Who will win in a battle of top prospects Rose and Tecia. How the heck did Tate survive that headkick only to win the fight anyway.

Who will win in a battle of top prospects Rose and Tecia.
Silly response:

They're 1-1 with both fights being close, Rose is 8-3 and Tecia is 10-2 albeit Rose has beaten better fighters (actually just JJ, we'll soon see if Tecia can beat her too).

Tecia is cooler because she's such a loli noli (near loli), stand ever Short and Proud.

Silly response:

They're 1-1 with both fights being close, Rose is 8-3 and Tecia is 10-2 albeit Rose has beaten better fighters (actually just JJ, we'll soon see if Tecia can beat her too).

Tecia is cooler because she's such a loli noli (near loli), stand ever Short and Proud.
I was talking like I was still back in early Ronda era not currently. Both fighters were 2 - 0 back then and they showed a lot of potential in their previous fights.

I was talking like I was still back in early Ronda era not currently. Both fighters were 2 - 0 back then and they showed a lot of potential in their previous fights.
I know you were, that's why I prefaced it with "silly response" AKA an excuse to espouse the spirit of littleness!

#AlwaysStandShortAndProud
#LolinessIsNextToGodliness

I know you were, that's why I prefaced it with "silly response" AKA an excuse to espouse the spirit of littleness!

#AlwaysStandShortAndProud
#LolinessIsNextToGodliness
gotcha! sorry did not understand your post.

Cooper may have underestimated Dern's speed. Dern threw a jab which prompted a late counter by Cooper. Unfortunately for Cooper, Dern's haymaker landed first.

A few days ago, Brazilian middleweight kickboxer Barbara Nepomuceno announced she had signed with a new management company:

Now, she has already announced her signing with Korean promotion Road FC, and will make her pro mma debut with them:

I would say most of the reason why I don't enjoy MMA as much today is because there always seems to be so much drama that's not pertaining to the actual fights. I was thinking this is probably why the early Ronda era was so special to me. It started to turn me from a casual fan to a hardcore fan. Yes the fights were a bit more exciting but I also don't remember a lot of drama going down back then.

I could be wrong and just was ignorant to the drama because I was a newly turned hardcore fan. I just remember having a lot of highs back then and none of the lows that we seem to get weekly now. My main concerns back then was if anyone could last more than a minute with Ronda. If Ronda could armbar a vet like Tate the way she did everyone else. How did Tecia decimate Felice so badly? Who will win in a battle of top prospects Rose and Tecia. How the heck did Tate survive that headkick only to win the fight anyway.

I think it was there, but it was kept behind the scenes. Now it is showcased.

Pennington vs. Nunes wasn't as much of a blowout as I first thought even though it mostly went the way I expected. Raquel did a pretty job of avoiding Amanda's right hand, she slipped or ducked under most of them and only a few right hands got her clean. Unfortunately she got hit clean with everything else, and dear god, that Rich Franklin clinch defence.

I thought Nunes looked a bit sloppier than her last fight, she was loading up more on her right hand instead of snapping the punches straight in and every time she missed a kick she was spinning all the way around and getting off balance. On the bright side, she's now got a nice left hook that she throws in combos, and she's shown she knows how to control the pacing & momentum of a fight. Also good use of kicks to chop the leg and do damage to the body.

Things I didn't like. Backing up in a straight line and the straight arm push-off to disengage from exchanges. Amanda can get away with it thanks to her speed & reach, but Pennington dinged her a few times with uppercuts when she did that. Someone with more punching power or who can better recognize & take advantage of those openings can do a number on Amanda. Same thing with the missed kicks where she spins around off balance, those are easy takedowns for a good wrestler.

Pennington's kick defence was poor, she got faked out badly and pretty much hit at will. Also checked the low kicks wrong, she was lifting her leg straight up without bracing into the kick, or worse yet, lifting and turning her leg away from the kick. That makes it easy to get knocked way off balance and get hit with follow-up combos, plus it doesn't hurt the kicker so she'll just keep throwing low kicks. With body kicks she just got frozen by feints and ate them, she'd overreact badly to feints, then get frozen in place and hit.

Interesting fight since we got to see how Amanda's game works against an opponent who a)doesn't block punches with her face like Tate or Ronda or b)isn't an elite defensive fighter like Valentina. She remains very effective & dangerous, but you can still see the weaknesses which can be exploited by someone with the right skill set. Nunes used the same overall game plan as she did against Valentina; pressure towards the fence with strikes, setup punches with kicks, and use takedowns to control momentum/seal rounds. Results were very different.

A few days ago, Brazilian middleweight kickboxer Barbara Nepomuceno announced she had signed with a new management company:

Now, she has already announced her signing with Korean promotion Road FC, and will make her pro mma debut with them:

Neat?

I've never seen her fight MMA, but she's already my #2 ranked openweight fighter lol. She's been talking shit about Gabi Garcia for two years, and she fought in Russia against that huge Russian lady people were posting about.

Maybe not Gabi huge, but I think she'd be the biggest person Gabi fought.

What is the most anyone has missed weight by in Women's
MMA and not have the commission or promoter cancel a
fight since I know Mackenzie Dern has had misses of 5 lbs
on one and 7 lbs most recent.

Interesting Info in this article about the TV deal. From a quick read through it seems that the ESPN deal is covering only about 33% of the total cards planned. They still have a ton of content up for negotiation with other channels. They have 12PPVs and PPV prelims and 15 other events(Probably fight nights). They did not even include the fightpass only shows. With all these cards I can see why there is talk of new divisions.

WME got 150mil for only 33% of their content. Meaning they could hit 300mil to 350 mil when all is said and done. Very interesting that they are making more money even during a down period by splitting up what they are offering. Funny how all those MMA media people laughed at the thought that WME could even get close to the 400mil they wanted for their TV rights. Its almost like they forgot that WME does million and billion dollar deals every day.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ests-endless-appetite-money-for-sports-rights

Good interview with Mei Yamagchi. Her rematch with Angela Lee is Friday.

What is the most anyone has missed weight by in Women's
MMA and not have the commission or promoter cancel a
fight since I know Mackenzie Dern has had misses of 5 lbs
on one and 7 lbs most recent.
Jozette Cotton missed weight by 15 pounds for her Bellator fight.

Lots of big misses at 115, Kinberly Novaes was 121 for a strawweight fight against Janaisa Morandin. Maycee Barber weighed in at 123 for a strawweight fight once too, and the last one I can think of is Miranda Maverick coming in at 120.

Janay Harding was 143 against Jessy Jess for a 135 lb bout, but they deducted some points from her.

Cyborg, and Carano both missed by over 5 pounds in elite XC.

Jozette Cotton missed weight by 15 pounds for her Bellator fight.

Lots of big misses at 115, Kinberly Novaes was 121 for a strawweight fight against Janaisa Morandin. Maycee Barber weighed in at 123 for a strawweight fight once too, and the last one I can think of is Miranda Maverick coming in at 120.

Janay Harding was 143 against Jessy Jess for a 135 lb bout, but they deducted some points from her.

Cyborg, and Carano both missed by over 5 pounds in elite XC.
Janay also came in at 145 pounds for a 140 pound fight with Ramona Pascual in the fight before her recent one with Leibrock.

Back