Jacare should have won that fight vs Gastellum.

Ananth

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Gastellum's chin held up well, but other than that he was getting pinged every minute of fight, except for the brief moment Jacare got knocked down.

Heck, Jacare landed 3-4 huge left hooks, at the end of the second round. Someone like Bisping, Rockhold would have dieded if they were at the end of those.

The third round was very close, but again Jacare had the better shots, got a couple of short take downs as well.

The first round should have been 10-8, if it was under the new rules. Second round was all Jacare until and even after the knockdown. Kelvin had like a couple minutes of good attack in the whole fight.

I think the image of Jacare slipping and sliding out of gassing out swayed the judges.

PS: I thought Kelvin's stand up was really good before - but I think he relies more on his chin than his boxing, someone like Stephen Thompson would destroy him, if he were to go down to WW. Whittaker also is far quicker than Gastellum, and will have a field day.

Nah.

This was one of those fights where there shouldn't be any true complaining. Jacare clearly won round 1, Kelvin clearly won round 2, and round 3 was a toss up. There were no 10-8 rounds.

29-28 for either guy works.

I thought Jacare deserved simply cause he's a cool looking mother fucker

Looks like some of hybrid that came straight out of the Amazon jungle

Nah.

This was one of those fights where there shouldn't be any true complaining. Jacare clearly won round 1, Kelvin clearly won round 2, and round 3 was a toss up. There were no 10-8 rounds.

That's the problem with this scoring system. If round 3 was a toss-up like you say (and it definitely was), then it should be scored 10-10. You shouldn't have to arbitrarily pick a winner. 10-9 Jacare round 1, 10-9 Kelvin round 2, 10-10 round 3. 29-29, fight should be a draw.

That's the problem with this scoring system. If round 3 was a toss-up like you say (and it definitely was), then it should be scored 10-10. You shouldn't have to arbitrarily pick a winner. 10-9 Jacare round 1, 10-9 Kelvin round 2, 10-10 round 3. 29-29, fight should be a draw.

There should be more even rounds given out. That is an issue with the judging.

I don't disagree. That's why fans are really annoying when they cite losses on fighters.

There are plenty of arguments that some of the greatest boxers/mma fighters should have more losses/wins on their records just because 2 or 3 judges chose the other.

Nah.

Man, Jacare got the better shots in. He has tons more mileage than Gastellum, so at moments he looks like he's rocked, but was still throwing and landing haymakers.

Gastellum is relatively new, so it looks like he takes the shots better - and even if he does, he did not look like he was capitalizing much with his supposed advantage. He was getting tagged badly at end of round 3,and lost 2 take downs - himself scoring none.

It all came down to who actually looked good on camera, than actual damage.

That slip in the break after round 2, made it look like Jacare was on his last toes, but he had the better final round.

Never-leave-it-in-the-hands-of-the-judges.jpg

Especially when it's a close one. If it's close, you can't complain.

This. At best, it should have been a draw.

Well, I guess this was one of those times Brazilians got a taste of their own medicine.

I was suprised that Kelvin didn't sit down on a overhand bomb, Jacare had his chin out throwing absolute slop, looked like a terrible version of Brunson

Kelvin is 26 and could take big hits with his extremely durable chin and keep working.

Jacare is nearly 40 and doesn't have the gas tank or durability to be an elite athlete at this point in his life.

Age was the biggest factor in the fight, Jacare was head and shoulders the more skilled fighter, he just doesn't have the physical ability to keep his first round pace or take shots, and Kelvin does.

We're shuffling around geriatric fighters at 185-205-265 because elite athletes that size don't consider MMA a worthwhile first option.

Jacare s cardio and appearance gave kelvin the win. If we objectively score the fight for what is was then kelvin loses. However he looked fresh and unphased and Jacare looked like dadas s&r coach.

i had kelvin winning both times i watched

but i did think jac beat yoel

Love Jacare, Maia, and purists in general. I still am glad Kelvin won even thought I wasn't rooting for him originally. I don't want too see a title shot with someone who's going to gas out end of round 2.

We're shuffling around geriatric fighters at 185-205-265 because elite athletes that size don't consider MMA a worthwhile first option.
That makes no sense.

Nah.

This is true

upload_2018-5-16_19-54-44.png

upload_2018-5-16_19-55-47.png

It's as close as it pretty much can be.

That makes no sense.

Heavyweight has the oldest average age of all divisions. That is a metric you don't want in athletics. We're shuffling around 40 year olds because the sport is having trouble attracting young, high caliber athletes.

The overall quality - and literal depth by numbers - at 150/170 is cartoonishly better than the upper weight divisions. That isn't just personified because of the size of humans, the NFL, NBA, MLB are not populated with average sized humans. Money is what attracts the appropriately sized elite athletes.

If the starting pay to get your head punched in at the highest level of MMA went up from 12k, you would see young, elite athletes enter the sport virtually overnight. Right now the risk -vs- reward is so terrible you just don't see it.

We crown EIGHT new All-American Division I heavyweight wrestlers each year. Where are they? You would be shocked at how many are teaching high school gym for 45k/year plus benefits. Thats how bad the risk -vs- reward is in the UFC right now.

Don't Leave It in the Hands of the Judges.

Back