Striker submitting a grappler and a grappler KOing a striker?

giphy.gif

Came to say masvidal and pettis but glad they were mentioned on the front page.

Barnett vs Rizzo 2 fits the bill. Though Pedro was not in his best form.

those are good ones, specially pettis and rothwell
thanks for the gifs
I couldn't believe that Pettis sub. He was having success with those body kicks, then he does some cartwheel kicks and I roll my eyes as Goldie is like "Pettis going for a little bit of showtime". The memory of Guida grinding him out was still somewhat fresh, so doing anything to let Benson get on top seemed like a terrible idea to me. Then he pulls off that armbar like it was no problem, and I believe they were just talking about Benson getting his black belt during the walkout.

That just shows the advantage of height. Werdum is not a great striker. But put a 6'4" normal dude against a 5'10 champion... 6'4'" guy wins

Werdum is a good striker when he's at his best.

Fabricio+Werdum+Mocks+and+Attacks+Travis+Browne+-+UFC+on+Fox+11.gif

I was thinking about the unpredictable aspect of MMA, and examples of a fighter primarily being a grappler koing a striker (they're all multidimensional now, but some still have an unbalance in their skillset, with one very strong aspect that compensates the weakness etc. wrestlers are in between as I do not consider all of them as submission artists if they favor GnP)
sometimes it is done in a crafty way, as an overhand following a faked takedown, but can even happen in a regular striking exchange I guess

the fights I tought about are Mir vs Crocop, Gonzaga against poor Crocop again, Werdum against Hunt maybe, alltought Werdum is quite complete in his skillset

Do you guys have any other examples in mind?

and then I wondered about the opposite, a striker submitting a grappler, which intuitively seems much less likely to me, maybe only if the grappler if half koed already or gassing bad.

I thought about hughes almeida, forrest shogun, but hughes is a wrestler, if not a submission artist, and shogun was gassed so it doesn't exactly fit what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have a fight in mind that would be a good example?

so far for Striker subbing Grappler :

anderson vs hendo
cro cop randleman 2
rothwell barnett
pettis henderson

grappler koing striker:

crocop randleman 1
crocop gonzaga
mir crocop
werdum hunt
Reem vs Vitor Gracie...(matter of perspective though...)

That just shows the advantage of height. Werdum is not a great striker. But put a 6'4" normal dude against a 5'10 champion... 6'4'" guy wins
Exactly, that's why Stefan Struve beat the ever loving crap out of Hunt.

More impressed at a striker subbing a high level sub grappler/bjj guy due to the skill involved/necessary in most situations, but it's not as big of a jump out of your chair moment.

Couture beat up Liddell in their first fight & Couture beating up Tim Sylvia (although he didn't get a KO).

Back