Anyone else surprised Conor McGregor retired after Floyd?

The guy went from welfare to multi-millionaire... Is Normal. Plus he is the self-proclaimed King of Ireland... Fighting doesn't seem to be a priority right now.

If Conor is gone then good. Now we can get on with the sport of MMA and see who the best fighters in the world are, instead of dealing with Conor fighting only those guys who are favorable match ups, while McDucking all the best ground fighters.

Mayweather retired him in a fight I didn’t care about and didn’t watch.

He’s so Rhonda and the casuals don’t even know it

Say what you want about Conor, he will come back and flatline Khabib.
If Conor had any intention of fighting Khabib, he would have done so instead of allowing his title to be stripped to avoid that very fight. Conor has always McDucked the best ground fighters and you will never see him in the cage with Khabib. If he did get in there, which he will not, he would be exposed as the one trick pony he is.

Based on what? His concentrated efforts to avoid fighting in the past couple years? If he wanted to fight Khabib, all he has to do is ask Daddy Dana and that fight is on. Has it happened? There's your answer.

I don't understand why people want this fight. Conor will destroy Khabib before he grabs a hold of him.

while McDucking all the best ground fighters.

Tell me which fighter's the 2nd degree BJJ black belt here and which ones the purple belt.

dw9hNeU.gif

Tell me which ones the NCAA All American and lifelong grappler and which ones the striker

56d0bf6031aa1.gif

Conor's ground game is fine.

If Conor had any intention of fighting Khabib, he would have done so instead of allowing his title to be stripped to avoid that very fight. Conor has always McDucked the best ground fighters and you will never see him in the cage with Khabib. If he did get in there, which he will not, he would be exposed as the one trick pony he is.

Im not a McGregor fan, but if you think that Khabib will close the distance without getting caught you are mistaken my friend. Conor has amazing distance management and can punch properly, he may be a one trick pony but until all the other fighters learn how to actually strike, he has a huge advantage.

I remember how all the McGobblers were convinced that Conman would do the Floyd "fight" and then immediately go back to MMA. <45>

"No one at LW is ready, just let Conor get this out of the way and he'll be right back!"

I was certain it would not happen and made a thread to that effect.

There was very little upside for them.

They put all their efforts into making a star and then as soon as he became a popular name outside of MMA circles they screwed themselves.

That said if I was Conor I would be very concerned about spreading out such a payday. He effectively earnt that money in one fight but would be at risk of getting screwed out of his full pay day if the UFC hit debt trouble or legal trouble.

I think an increasing equity stake would have been the best idea. Not that it would be without issues.

He had leverage.

Just because you are under contract doesn't mean you have to fight. He could've just sat out the terms, and made the Floyd fight all on his own once he was released. UFC would've got nothing, and he woulda been gone.

Why would they release him?

I really thought the UFC would have a deal where Conor got incredible money for 5 or more fights. 1 in boxing against Floyd and the rest in the UFC. I figured Conor actually didn't make that much on the Floyd fight, but the value would be spread out. That would be the UFC's guarantee Conor would return to the UFC and continue being a big PPV draw for them.

It looks like they actually just paid him a massive sum of money and have accepted he will retire a 'UFC celebrity'.

Either his celebrity status gives so much exposure to MMA that this is somehow worthwhile to them or they seriously fucked up in the contract negotiations. Either way the fans of the sport got fucked.

Given the space Conor was in financially do you really think he wouldn't have accepted $15 million a fight for 5-10 fights with the UFC after the Floyd fight? Why would they give him one massive payday. They had him under contract. He had no leverage.

tenor.gif

well since they both retired it doesn't matter.

his contract already had him being the highest paid on the roster so there nothing stopping conor from fighting o wait he ducking khabib.

He had leverage.

Just because you are under contract doesn't mean you have to fight. He could've just sat out the terms, and made the Floyd fight all on his own once he was released. UFC would've got nothing, and he woulda been gone.

the terms he signed were being the highest paid fighter on the roster already that he was happy to sign

so it on conor why he wont fight.

Which is why the bus fiasco was a gift from the heavens.

They are THAT lucky.

It's as if Dana told WME, relax fellas, he's pull a Jon Jones and he'll be back in no time.

dolly thing hurt conor big time. it something that if not handled right will cost him a working us visa.

They prob assumed it was a one time last but huge payment for conor - after that he wouldn't fight again - after all they made a ton of money on the fight - now he will prob be like nate and sit around and wait for huge pay days and be forgotten - or maybe he will surprise us all and fight soon, but I just don't think that makes sense as a loss completely destroys millions and millions

Back