Firearms News thread

The bulk of the P320's don't have safeties, unless she's gotten a hold of one of the military's versions or got a special order for a safety equipped one.

You're familiar with the P320 firing when dropped problem? That's why it came to mind. We can rule it out based on no safety, but who knows. Either way I'm curious as to the make & model.

You're familiar with the P320 firing when dropped problem? That's why it came to mind. We can rule it out based on no safety, but who knows. Either way I'm curious as to the make & model.
Yeah, I have a P320 Compact/Carry. I sent it in for the drop safety fix. They added a bird beak looking physical latch to the firing unit and had to mill a clearance depression on the underside of the slide to allow for it. They also replaced the trigger with a lighter trigger and a lighter trigger spring. Didn't really effect overall feel but you can tell it has lighter pull. Breaks pretty much the same in my opinion. Still gonna replace the trigger with a flat face grayguns trigger like I originally had. Have to purchase a new one though. They kept the old one when they swapped it out and grayguns says not to use the old one anyway. They have a new lightened one for the post upgrade P320.

All the military ones have a safety. Civilian models don't unless you special order it I believe.

Yeah, I have a P320 Compact/Carry. I sent it in for the drop safety fix. They added a bird beak looking physical latch to the firing unit and had to mill a clearance depression on the underside of the slide to allow for it. They also replaced the trigger with a lighter trigger and a lighter trigger spring. Didn't really effect overall feel but you can tell it has lighter pull. Breaks pretty much the same in my opinion. Still gonna replace the trigger with a flat face grayguns trigger like I originally had. Have to purchase a new one though. They kept the old one when they swapped it out and grayguns says not to use the old one anyway. They have a new lightened one for the post upgrade P320.

:eek::eek::eek:

This is why when it comes to guns I'm wary of being an early adapter.

All the military ones have a safety. Civilian models don't unless you special order it I believe.
I believe there is a Massachusetts (or something like that) legal version of the gun that comes with a safety. I suppose you could order one with a safety. I doubt many gun shops keep those in stock.

:eek::eek::eek:

This is why when it comes to guns I'm wary of being an early adapter.
That is why I am holding off on buying the Sig P365. They've already had one revision of the gun and it hasn't even been on the market for six months. It looks like a nice gun, but until it gets a reputation of being reliable I won't be a buyer.

That is why I am holding off on buying the Sig P365. They've already had one revision of the gun and it hasn't even been on the market for six months. It looks like a nice gun, but until it gets a reputation of being reliable I won't be a buyer.

I've been salivating over the Hudson H9. Reviews have been mixed. Plus I don't have the $1k. :(

I'm not an attorney, but wouldn't the confiscation of firearms without a grandfather clause be banned by the fifth and fourteenth amendments? How can a government entity take possession of private property without compensating the owner?

It's like a local government saying that no cars within the city limits shall be allowed to be the color blue by a certain date then impounding the blue cars when the owners don't sell, destroy, or paint their cars another color. Maybe that's not a good analogy, but you get the gist.

Behold Berger's New 184grn 7mm VLD with .695 BC
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0718

berger1.jpg

Fuckingroovin!

Almost 6.5 creedmoor ballistic coefficient numers.

In 7mm with that BC I bet it's very impressive round.

Almost! Ha.

Bullet-wise the 7mm always had a better BC, than just about anything out there. Just a matter of how much powder you get behind it.

Only advantage the 6.5 bullet would have in a creedmoor round would be less recoil, (which does factor into a shooter's ability to repeat consecutive hits)

Bullet-wise the 7mms are king, (I'd say). Round-wise?

It becomes a juggling act between: bullet-weight, velocity, enegry (desired if hunting) recoil, and barrel life; (oh and action length: short, long or magnum)

Both 6.5s and 7mms pressure up cases and wear barrel throats on the quick side.

28 noslers are bad ass mofos.

What's with the G7 Ballistic shit? Metric? The new age transsexual method of BC measurement? Seems confusing and redundant when there was already a scale out there.

Like if you want a monster, get something like this:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...ew-750gr-titanium-tipped-monster-from-berger/

Interestingly:
Hornady's 180grn ELD claims higher than that Beger
https://www.hornady.com/support/ballistic-coefficient

6.5mm 140 gr. ELD Match
0.646 G1
0.326 G7

6.5mm 147 gr. ELD Match
0.697 G1
0.351 G7

7mm 162 gr. ELD Match
0.670 G1
0.338 G7

7mm 180 gr. ELD Match
1 in 8.75" Twist
0.777 G1
0.391 G7

7mm 180 gr. ELD Match
1 in 7.5" Twist
0.816 G1
0.411 G7

Beger's 195grn 7mm Hunter Bullet has pretty big numbers too:

The actual form factor of the 7mm 195 grain Elite Hunter is among the lowest offered by any Berger Bullet, beating the G7 drag standard by 11%. Combined with the high sectional density, this bullet has a G7 BC of 0.387, which is 5% higher than the Berger .30 caliber 230 grain Target Hybrid!

Due to the extremely low drag profile of this bullet, the G1 BC varies a considerable amount across the velocity spectrum. Above 3000 fps, the bullet is flying with a G1 BC of 0.814. As it slows to 1500 fps, the G1 BC falls to 0.706, for an average of 0.754 from 3000 to 1500 fps.

Sometimes I think the getting too deep in ballictics gets queer.
I shot a 7mm-08 in competition back in the 90s, (cause David Tubb was killing it with one) It was great ballistics at 168grn with lower recoil than a 190grn 30cal which guys many shot.

However David Tubb also killed everyone with the 190grn 30cal. He also killed everyone when he shot a 223.

He switched to a 6.5 too and won, but also got beat by guys shooting 223s.

I tried a 6.5X284 once. It was nice, however the throat burned up within 1600rnds. (that was a bummer)

But one day around 2003, I was out with a buddy, he with his 308, with 155grn Lapua palma bullets, me with my 6.5X284, 140grn VLD shooting the same target at 600 yards. We ended up with the same windage! (he's still shooting that same barrel 5000rnds later)

I was done with 6.5s after that.

I think if I was to do another rifle I'd go .30'06 with a 1/13 twist Krieger Palma barrel, shooting 150-155grn bullets at 3090fps with a 24inch barrel and a suppressor. That way I could get a good overall balance between: Ballistics, killing shit, and barrel life, (and lower recoil and noise).

I've had shooting buddies tell me about kills on shit they've shot at 1000-1300 yards.

Longest thing I ever shot was a buzzard at 460 yards. I would be plenty happy bust'n something,(say a hog) at 600-700 yards That's a long ass way, when you see it. Certainly nothing to scoff at.

What's with the G7 Ballistic shit? Metric? The new age transsexual method of BC measurement? Seems confusing and redundant when there was already a scale out there.

I guess it is a more accurate measurement of the bc and gives more accurate readings from ballistic calculations.

Damn .816 is monstrous.

My impression of the 7mm when i used it for competition was that if you tended to under-correct for wind, or failed to notice, (like I did sometimes) it's wind resistance was noticeable over other cartridges.

You could see it when shooting at a marked paper target with moa scoring rings 20 shots in a row.

If you were already adept at making corrections for 308s or 223s. Well, maybe you didnt need it or didnt know what you were missing.

I remember days where id do well and other days where i got spanked at 600 by guys with seemingly inferior shit.

So many other things can factor in.

Mirage for instance, can waste a score for you with the best bullet there is simply by fooling you into aiming where the target ain't. Then wind resistance goes out the window.

Now, im basing much of my opinion on medium capacity cartridges, and mostly 600 yards, from shooting i did 20 years ago, (fuck has it really been that long!)

I think nowadays you could buy your way out of much of the issues with, scope, weight and higher horsepower rounds.

I've watched guys at 1000 yard matches who i never thought had much skill, but put them behind, $3000. Rifle with a $2500 scope and a 7 mag, with a rear rest and a benchrest bipod, and some will look like world beaters, (sometimes).

A fellow i used to shoot with in San Antonio in the 90s, JJ Conway, won some big matches against big magnums using a 22-250 with an 80grn bullet at 1000 yards. This was when F-class shooting was getting started.
Scroll way down, hes in here:

jjconx225.jpg

https://www.chuckhawks.com/f-class_shooting_2.htm

He switched to a 6.5X284 at one point.
http://www.6mmbr.com/fclass06.html

He was old when i shot against him, and later got too wobbly to shoot offhand so he switched exclusively to f-class.

I dont think hes alive anymore, if he is he's gotta ne in his 90s.

Dube was a stud though.

Don't you have a magnum? .338 or something?

It prolly out performs a 6.5, if you factor out the recoil right?

Almost 6.5 creedmoor ballistic coefficient numers.

In 7mm with that BC I bet it's very impressive round.

Do you have a 6.5 creedmoor?

Whats your impression compared to other stuff?
Get any good groups at far away distances with it?

Goons here seem to concurr the 6.5 creedmoor beats a 7mm-08, due to lack of velocity from the 7mm in that case.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/6-5-creedmore-vs-7mm08.3865654/

Maybe i need to re-look at the .284...

Last edited:
Do you have a 6.5 creedmoor?

Whats your impression compared to other stuff?
Get any good groups at far away distances with it?

Goons here seem to concurr the 6.5 creedmoor beats a 7mm-08, due to lack of velocity from the 7mm in that case.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/6-5-creedmore-vs-7mm08.3865654/

Maybe i need to re-look at the .284...

Only have experience with it vs .308 in any type of long range shooting.

Haven't done groups at long range but get good hits on steel. Closest thing I could say to group testing would be shooting 7" targets at 600 yards. As long as you did your part it was pretty easy to hit.

Only have experience with it vs .308 in any type of long range shooting.

Haven't done groups at long range but get good hits on steel. Closest thing I could say to group testing would be shooting 7" targets at 600 yards. As long as you did your part it was pretty easy to hit.

What about the bigger stuff? Didnt you post some stuff about some magnum rifle you were shooting way out.

Could you feel the difference in the 6.5 over the 308?

What about the bigger stuff? Didnt you post some stuff about some magnum rifle you were shooting way out.

Could you feel the difference in the 6.5 over the 308?

A friends .338 lapua. It is definitely easier to get hits at 1000-1250 vs 6.5.

Yeah 6.5 has less recoil. At 1000 yards it is was also over 2 mils less elevation. About 1 mil less drift. 147gr eld-m vs 175gr gmm smk.

A friends .338 lapua. It is definitely easier to get hits at 1000-1250 vs 6.5.

Yeah 6.5 has less recoil. At 1000 yards it is was also over 2 mils less elevation. About 1 mil less drift. 147gr eld-m vs 175gr gmm smk.

What do you do when less than a mil is needed?

How long did it take you to acquaint with that scale?

Ive always been moa myself.

Back