Social Roseanne tweets outrageously racist comment about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett

I thought she was Iranian?

Of the Mashhad Bowmans?

Her dad was a doctor who was in a program that sent American doctors to work in developing countries, and he lived briefly in Iran (and she was born there as a result), but she's American.

Well to be fair.. Bill Maher does accuse him of looking like an orangutan...
That's fine, but like I said to someone else in another thread, when I was a kid my grandmother and some other relatives would call me a "little monkey" it was acceptable and not a big deal, BUT I'd never think to call a black child a "little monkey" for the obvious negative connotations throughout history of black people being compared to primates. Anyone that tries to make a moral equivalence is either being intentionally oblivious or just trolling.

People called George W Bush a chimp because of his big ears, Trump getting called an orangutan due to his bad orange spray tan is small potatoes and something that should be beneath someone at his position.

I get his meaning though.
In the same way artists can work a canvas, comedians work words. Sometimes what comes out really resounds and not only produces admiration/laughs, but manages to go a little deeper inside us.
Lenny Bruce pissed people off but broke ground for what could be brought up for humor's sake and how. In this way, artists of all kinds change boundaries, and it's the reason they're some of the first up against the wall when strong man revolutions happen.

Comedians should, well, not get special treatment, but they stand apart like other artists. Without change progress isn't possible.
Pushing boundaries is our defense against the conformity factory.

If this were on stage, in the context of a set/bit then maybe, but this isn't that.
A comedian isn't a shark, whose nature we should use to explain why it bit a human.
A comedian is a human who makes money by making people laugh. When they fuck up irl, they don't get to play the Joker card.

Hard to call her racist for what appears to be an accurate (if unflattering) observation.
I don't think she's funny, but accurate (if unflattering) observations are kinda what comedy's about.

0/10
Terrible correction.

Googled your "Haw Haw" and got nothing but Lord Haw-Haw for results.

Googling "ha ha" actually got me a couple results for Nelson.
Nelson made a set of words in shop class in some episode, they were “haw haw” presumably cut out on a scroll saw
https://m.imgur.com/t/reaction/slvxnme

Yes, only when people react to those words do you get upset.
"I know you are but what am I."

I don't think I've been upset for a very long time. I'm just pointing out that insulting someone because of race is no more or less egregious than insulting them because of something else.

I'd also like to point out that you used a shitty analogy, one specifically crafted to try and make my point look as ludicrous as possible, when you're probably smart enough to understand the point.

There are pics out there where people juxtapose images of children with abnormal features to those of bizarre cartoon or movie characters. I'd say that's just as bad as comparing a black person to a monkey, because you're essentially saying the same thing about the people. You're saying "Ha ha, see how dumb they look."

maybe, still pretty fucked up for him to say it

No not at all. Nobody owns words and if the Black community still wants to financially capitalize on that word by selling it to the public in Pop culture and entertainment, it's fair game.

Context matters. His context was not racist.

If the word is so dangerous and hurtful that mere variations of it are forbidden, black people should pillory black entertainers for keeping it alive.

No not at all. Nobody owns words and if the Black community still wants to financially capitalize on that word by selling it to the public in Pop culture and entertainment, it's fair game.

Context matters. His context was not racist.

If the word is so dangerous and hurtful that mere variations of it are forbidden, black people should pillory black entertainers for keeping it alive.
it may have been a joke but he referenced slaves whilst using the word. Whatever way you look at it, its pretty fucked up

Why would they want Trump to act like an adult when most his supporters don't?
You seem really afraid. Most people are pretty good one on one. (my experience) Hate is most always a reaction to fear or jealousy, which are similar emotions.
I doubt anyone here actually hates you.

If this were on stage, in the context of a set/bit then maybe, but this isn't that.
A comedian isn't a shark, whose nature we should use to explain why it bit a human.
A comedian is a human who makes money by making people laugh. When they fuck up irl, they don't get to play the Joker card.

He called himself that, not someone else. It was in very poor taste, but it wasn't racist.
I say it all the time and I'm not racist. Hell, I used to go into a group of black guys on the football team and always said "what's up my n!!gas". They didn't give a fuck because I wasn't using it in a derogatory way. They were my boys. That was also at different time and the country wasn't so easily offended by stuff.

That's fine, but like I said to someone else in another thread, when I was a kid my grandmother and some other relatives would call me a "little monkey" it was acceptable and not a big deal, BUT I'd never think to call a black child a "little monkey" for the obvious negative connotations throughout history of black people being compared to primates. Anyone that tries to make a moral equivalence is either being intentionally oblivious or just trolling.

People called George W Bush a chimp because of his big ears, Trump getting called an orangutan due to his bad orange spray tan is small potatoes and something that should be beneath someone at his position.

I can't disagree with you, hell my mom called me a lil monkey growing up. I'm pretty damn sure all of our parents called us lil monkies at some point in our childhood's.

I was just giving an example of someone calling Trump a monkey.. and yes I know it is a joke about his fucked up orange spray tan, not racist in the slightest imo..

But Roseanne's was pretty blatant..

If you'd read the thread you'd hopefully had learned that comparing someone to an ape based solely on race and skin color (as in what Roseanne did) and the things you posted are not equal. Are these Bush memes based on his skin color and race (or some other discriminatory protected characteristic)m

Ah what the he'll am I kidding for, I know you won't understand that.

Not to mention the fact that blacks as a group have been compared to apes for centuries in order to demean, humiliate and justify their oppression.

Whites as a group have never been compared to apes.

But as always, context and history are the mortal enemies of bigotry defenders.

In the same way artists can work a canvas, comedians work words. Sometimes what comes out really resounds and not only produces admiration/laughs, but manages to go a little deeper inside us.
Lenny Bruce pissed people off but broke ground for what could be brought up for humor's sake and how. In this way, artists of all kinds change boundaries, and it's the reason they're some of the first up against the wall when strong man revolutions happen.

Comedians should, well, not get special treatment, but they stand apart like other artists. Without change progress isn't possible.
Pushing boundaries is our defense against the conformity factory.
I appreciate that, but she's definitely the worst Lenny Bruce ever.

Back