Lightweight Snipers

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are the lightest hunting rifles? Like something you could run pretty fast with?

hello-fbi.jpg

What are the lightest hunting rifles? Like something you could run pretty fast with?

What are you looking to hunt?

Kimber makes a number of very lightweight bolt action rifles.

The Fix by Q isn't the lightest but it is still pretty light, modular, stock folds, etc.

Alternatively if you don't need a large caliber you can build some very lightweight AR's.

Kimber Mountain Ascent is under 5lbs. As the name suggests, it’s designed to be light weight and durable for mountain hunting. What type of terrain are you looking to “run pretty fast” through? At what distance (approximately) will your average shot be taken? At what distance will your longest shot be taken? What are you hunting? It wouldn’t be much help to offer suggestions without knowing some of the particulars.

Kimber: ascent/Montana/Adirondack
Weatherby: ultra lightweight
Barrett: fieldcraft
NULA: everything they make

Cheaper options include the savage lightweight hunter, ruger American etc.

Will you be tailoring the round to match the rifle, I.E. light rifle - Lighter round, or will it be Light rifle with a blunderbust round?

Many of the large caliber light weight rifles I've encountered, (Featherweight 300 win mags for instance) will group fro about 3 shots before the heat and the horsepower start opening it up. Plus they're uncomfortable to shoot shots at a time.

Just thoughts, thoughts and more thoughts..

Tikka makes a lightweight rifle that I've heard good things about. Howa used to make a mountain rifle, but it got discontinued this year. I think Browning has a couple lightweight models, but they're on the pricey side if I remember correctly.

I'm of the opinion that spending money on a super lightweight rifle is a purchase to be made once you're invested in quality boots, packs, clothing, etc.

Kimber: ascent/Montana/Adirondack
Weatherby: ultra lightweight
Barrett: fieldcraft
NULA: everything they make

Cheaper options include the savage lightweight hunter, ruger American etc.
The Tikka superlite is also a good option

Tikka makes a lightweight rifle that I've heard good things about. Howa used to make a mountain rifle, but it got discontinued this year. I think Browning has a couple lightweight models, but they're on the pricey side if I remember correctly.

I'm of the opinion that spending money on a super lightweight rifle is a purchase to be made once you're invested in quality boots, packs, clothing, etc.
I have a tikka 223 rem superlite SS, it shoots well and as the name says is very lite and a pleasure to carry.

The Tikka superlite is also a good option

Yeah tikkas are good budget options. I’m not super into plastic stocks and detachable magazines on hunting rifles but they are accurate and have nice actions.

Yeah tikkas are good budget options. I’m not super into plastic stocks and detachable magazines on hunting rifles but they are accurate and have nice actions.
Im not a big fan of plastic (even though half my fireams have plastic stocks) but for the price I couldnt pass it up. I like detachable mags, it just makes for easy shooting, nothing worse than trying to reload in the dark on the back of a moving ute (pick up) , its much easier carrying 2 10 shot magazines

Im not a big fan of plastic (even though half my fireams have plastic stocks) but for the price I couldnt pass it up. I like detachable mags, it just makes for easy shooting, nothing worse than trying to reload in the dark on the back of a moving ute (pick up) , its much easier carrying 2 10 shot magazines

Tikka magazines hold 3 rounds though.

Be careful if you're new to guns and wanting a "lightweight sniper" because it seems a good idea from video games or how you picture it in your head

The lighter the gun, the more that damn thing is going to kick into your shoulder. I'm an experienced hunter, grew up with a 30-06. I have a 7mm rem mag in a fairly light Weatherby lazer etched vanguard S2 (won it in a raffle. So Fing pretty). The kick on that took me longer than I'd like to admit to not subconsciously wince at. Still, at 500 yard shots, not anticipating the kick and involuntarily pushing my shoulder forward is my biggest focus once I start squeezing the trigger

Could always buy like a barreled Howa and drop it into a super lightweight chassis too. Be a tad more expensive though admittedly.

Be careful if you're new to guns and wanting a "lightweight sniper" because it seems a good idea from video games or how you picture it in your head

The lighter the gun, the more that damn thing is going to kick into your shoulder. I'm an experienced hunter, grew up with a 30-06. I have a 7mm rem mag in a fairly light Weatherby lazer etched vanguard S2 (won it in a raffle. So Fing pretty). The kick on that took me longer than I'd like to admit to not subconsciously wince at. Still, at 500 yard shots, not anticipating the kick and involuntarily pushing my shoulder forward is my biggest focus once I start squeezing the trigger

You probably need a 7mag to sit in a tree stand and shoot who’re tails huh???

Seriously though, vanguard s2s are nice rifles, very accurate and very reliable with pretty good factory triggers. However, lightweight is something they are not, in fact I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a scoped up one weigh less than 8.5lbs.

I have one in 375HH and have been a lto big time fan of the s2 over pretty much anything else in that price range, when I used to hunt more pronghorns I had one in 257 weatherby I’d use. In fact I used a weatherby vanguard once while I camped out in the brooks range of Alaska for about a month, the next year I went for 2 months and worked on a simple cabin but took a 700bdl was which basically got ruined from getting. Wet for days on end, I wish I’d taken a vanguard instead.

When I think about lightweight I think sub 7lb with a scope, loaded. Right now I am enjoying a kimber Montana 308 with a nightforce shv 3-10x42 mounted on a Talley rail with nightforce ultra light rings, weighs 6lb7oz all up.

You probably need a 7mag to sit in a tree stand and shoot who’re tails huh???

Seriously though, vanguard s2s are nice rifles, very accurate and very reliable with pretty good factory triggers. However, lightweight is something they are not, in fact I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a scoped up one weigh less than 8.5lbs.

I have one in 375HH and have been a lto big time fan of the s2 over pretty much anything else in that price range, when I used to hunt more pronghorns I had one in 257 weatherby I’d use. In fact I used a weatherby vanguard once while I camped out in the brooks range of Alaska for about a month, the next year I went for 2 months and worked on a simple cabin but took a 700bdl was which basically got ruined from getting. Wet for days on end, I wish I’d taken a vanguard instead.

When I think about lightweight I think sub 7lb with a scope, loaded. Right now I am enjoying a kimber Montana 308 with a nightforce shv 3-10x42 mounted on a Talley rail with nightforce ultra light rings, weighs 6lb7oz all up.

Oh ok. Our lightweight definitions are a bit different. 8.5 pounds plus scope is still plenty light enough to lug around all day. I do long range shooting and some of the guys have bench queens that weigh 12+ easy that they still hunt with over an open field. That sounds like a nightmare to actively hunt with tho.

Yes, I do most of my hunting on white tails in Wisconsin, but I go elk hunting out west about every other year and my best friend just moved up
to Alaska so we’re talking a moose hunt in 2020. 7mm rem covers all my bases without being toooo overkill for the bambis :p

Oh ok. Our lightweight definitions are a bit different. 8.5 pounds plus scope is still plenty light enough to lug around all day. I do long range shooting and some of the guys have bench queens that weigh 12+ easy that they still hunt with over an open field. That sounds like a nightmare to actively hunt with tho.

Yes, I do most of my hunting on white tails in Wisconsin, but I go elk hunting out west about every other year and my best friend just moved up
to Alaska so we’re talking a moose hunt in 2020. 7mm rem covers all my bases without being toooo overkill for the bambis :p

Where does your buddy live in Alaska? I love moose hunting. I live for that shit.

Back