'The Wire' - It gets better after the 1st season, right?

[
post-35374-nicolas-cage-fist-bump-gif-con-8qky.gif

There was an earlier crime series directed by the producer for the wire called Homicide life on the street. I felt it was far better and worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

How well do you remember Homicide?

One of my very favorite scenes ever on television, although it loses a lot of weight if you haven't watched and don't understand exactly what's happening.

Crosetti%2527s%2BFuneral.gif

Last edited:
I loved the second season because it reminded me of my time working with containers at a yard we did the same work those stevedores/longshoreman did. it was pretty accurate.
I used to work in shipping and handling, which is somewhat similar. I was suspected of stealing a few shipments during my time. I didn't do it, but it happens from time-to-time, I'm sure. Yeah, I'd say it was pretty accurate as well.

....and Nick's gf's tits.
There’s audio commentary on the season 2 DVD’s from Dominic West and Michael K Williams and they spend a good five minutes of that episode discussing how great they are...

I’ll go into bat for season 2 any day, way underrated imho.
I like the way it showed more of the next levels up of the drug game, not just the foot soldier level but the big dogs at the top

Season 1-3 were the best. Quit after 3

I've also tried twice and can't get through season one. It's boring.

[
post-35374-nicolas-cage-fist-bump-gif-con-8qky.gif

There was an earlier crime series directed by the producer for the wire called Homicide life on the street. I felt it was far better and worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Phenominal show. I'm still haunted by adeena watson.

Was season 2 the docks? Docks are easily the worst season, but it helps set up the rest of the series.
Nah the last season is easily the worst imo, just loses all touch with reality.

Both a great show and highly overrated at the same time imo.
Breaking Bad was a fun ride, but it was ultimately written by committee, and pandered it's way out of telling a proper story. By the end it was a great big ball of fan service. The Shield was BY FAR the better story. It created a believable character breaking bad over time, and was masterful in showing just how someone actually trying to do the right thing could gradually do more and more wrong things, to support the altruistic motive that doesn't really exist any more. People talk about character development in Walter White, it was virtually non-existent. He wasn't a person, he was a caricature. Worse still was Jessie. He went from stoned idiot to cunning strategist the second they decided to keep him on the show, it was a prime example of inconsistent writing. Breaking Bad kept writing itself into and out of corners, and it didn't do it very well. They literally created scenes with no idea how they were going to write beyond them, and it left some pretty gaping holes.

The Wire was a complex tapestry of characters that told a layered story about the core issues of the drug trade in Baltimore. With one minor exception it never served the fans, every detail served the story. For this reason, there are people that don't like it. There were no grandiose, ridiculous scenes made for the sole reason of making the fans happy. The Wire had twenty times as much going on and you had to really pay attention. I remember a cartoon talking about the wire, it said "that shit's dense".

I loved Breaking Bad and have no issue with people who preferred it to The Wire, but better? That's ridiculous. The quality of writing and level of story in The Wire crushes Breaking Bad, which should not be in the conversation.

Edit - changed "mastermind" to "strategist".
My only gripe with The Wire is some of the acting, and the final season lost the relative realism of the earlier seasons. As someone who lived the show, literally worked law enforcement in the DMV, the little things kind of bugged me probably more than the average viewer.

I prefer The Wire to Breaking Bad but there’s no doubt B.B. has superior acting.

My only gripe with The Wire is some of the acting, and the final season lost the relative realism of the earlier seasons. As someone who lived the show, literally worked law enforcement in the DMV, the little things kind of bugged me probably more than the average viewer.

I prefer The Wire to Breaking Bad but there’s no doubt B.B. has superior acting.

No argument about the acting. Breaking Bad was a Shakespearean drama and there were some stellar performances.

Nothing in it his me as hard as this, though.

There’s audio commentary on the season 2 DVD’s from Dominic West and Michael K Williams and they spend a good five minutes of that episode discussing how great they are...
=) lol

Superior acting?!
<TheWire1>

1st and 3rd season are GOAT worthy.

Agreed. Garbage show imo.

Got 4 or 5 eps through and turned it off. Not on the level of Prison Break.
I hope you are joking because if you aren't you should have your TV watching privileges revoked.

You should at least give the rest of the first season a watch. The show is a slow burn but it is worth the investment and time

How can y’all hate on zig. Either you’re a a college kid who he exposed or a Greek stock boy in a copy store.
The scene when he is in the car after the incident with Gleikas is some of the best acting I ever seen on television. I know a lot of people dislike Ziggy but that has more to do with how well James Ransone played the character. Best damn television I have ever seen

My first viewing of the Wire was a year after the show finished airing and I thought it was pretty good. Decided to go back a year after that and rewatch it and that was when I realized just how good the show truly was. I am now about to start my 6th viewing of the whole series. It is by far my favorite television show with Breaking Bad coming in at a very close second.

You don't think it did?

Jesus, half the cast of The Wire weren't even actors.
A lot of the cast were the actual people who David Simon based some of the characters on and I have to say some of the acting from those people were on point.

My only pet peeve regarding the show is Dominic West's accent sometimes shows up and its hilarious

As per Breaking Bad the acting on that show is phenomenal. All you have to do is watch the ending scene of Crawl Space. I get chills just thinking about it.

Both Breaking and The Wire are the two best drama shows in television history for me at least

Last edited:
If you don't like it after watching the first season, you probably won't like it at all.

Back