Resources to learn more about shooting steep angles.

bushman505

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lately I’ve been thinking about the direction I want to take my hunting, while I love hunting moose and caribou etc, I’ve found my real passion is sheep hunting.

Looking at my available resources, it seems like now is the time to start thinking long term about completing the grand slam (dall sheep, desert bighorn, Rocky Mountain bighorn and stone sheep) as well as hopefully doing some overseas hunts in the next ~ 5 years hopefully for Marco Polo argali I. Tajikistan or Kyrgistan and hopefully New Zealand for chamois and tahr.

At this point, I know what equipment works for me and what dosent and I know how to train for these hunts but I’m feeling like it’s time to really start stepping up my shooting game, mainly in regards to steep uphill and downhill shots as well as awkward field positions.

In the past I’ve missed shots like these and they have almost cost me a kill, hunting Dall sheep in Alaska, missing and losing and animal would be disappointing, missing. Bighorn in Wyoming or Montana and going home empty handed would be brutal after getting a tag but missing a stone or a Marco Polo could potentially be a lost 20,000 dollars.

I’d like to minimize this risk as best as I can.

Can anybody reccomend websites, books, videos, YouTube stuff to really look into this in depth?

With Dall season approaching I’ve been pushing the recovery on my ankle hard, hiking with a pack and shooting but only out to ~ 300yds at a range.

I’m also wondering if it’s time to step away from the 308 that I usually go with and start looking at something a bit more “modern” for lack of better words, maybe a 6.5cm or a 6.5-300wby, ideally I’d like to be very confident at any angle out to 500yds.

Lately I’ve been thinking about the direction I want to take my hunting, while I love hunting moose and caribou etc, I’ve found my real passion is sheep hunting.

Looking at my available resources, it seems like now is the time to start thinking long term about completing the grand slam (dall sheep, desert bighorn, Rocky Mountain bighorn and stone sheep) as well as hopefully doing some overseas hunts in the next ~ 5 years hopefully for Marco Polo argali I. Tajikistan or Kyrgistan and hopefully New Zealand for chamois and tahr.

At this point, I know what equipment works for me and what dosent and I know how to train for these hunts but I’m feeling like it’s time to really start stepping up my shooting game, mainly in regards to steep uphill and downhill shots as well as awkward field positions.

In the past I’ve missed shots like these and they have almost cost me a kill, hunting Dall sheep in Alaska, missing and losing and animal would be disappointing, missing. Bighorn in Wyoming or Montana and going home empty handed would be brutal after getting a tag but missing a stone or a Marco Polo could potentially be a lost 20,000 dollars.

Can anybody reccomend websites, books, videos, YouTube stuff to really look into this in depth?

With Dall season approaching I’ve been pushing the recovery on my ankle hard, hiking with a pack and shooting but only out to ~ 300yds at a range.

I’m also wondering if it’s time to step away from the 308 that I usually go with and start looking at something a bit more “modern” for lack of better words, maybe a 6.5cm or a 6.5-300wby, ideally I’d like to be very confident at any angle out to 500yds.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/network-topics/tips-tactics-network/hitting-a-high-or-low-angle-shot/

6.5 creedmoor wipes the floor with .308.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/06/jeremy-s/308-is-fat-and-stupid-and-so-are-you/

Some 400-700+ hunting with 6.5 147gr ELD.

I guess tomorrow I need to get to sportsman’s warehouse and pick up a t3x super lite in 6.5.

I had a tikka back in 2009 (30-06) they I used to hunt Barbary sheep in NM and TX, I sold it and while I ever regretted selling it, the tikkas got more and more popular over the years I often thought of picking up another one. About 2 weeks ago, tikka started forcing dealers to sell them for no less than 750.00 which was roughly a 200.00 price increase. Realizing that prices never go down, coupled with the fact that sportsman’s is selling them for 100 dollars off (650.00) I guess the time is now or never as I do t think tikkas carry the value at 750.00 or more, when I got mine it was 389.00 now the secret is out, prices are up. At 389.00 they were the best value in the hunting game, at 750.00 well, it’s a 750.00 rifle.

Also, thinking if I got this route, I may drop it into a chassis down the road.

Get a 22LR and shoot at shit say 100 yards off both uphill and down to get the feel of it.

Hang some small steel as well some bulleye targets

http://www.qualitytargets.com/ihmsa-nra-1-8-thick-silhouette-steel-target-white-set-1-10-scale/

I believe this is a 100 pack
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=MR31C

Its Basically 1 MOA at 100 yards. You can use it to see the apparent differential up and down....

Nothing beats good ol internal processing.

Get a 22LR and shoot at shit say 100 yards off both uphill and down to get the feel of it.

Hang some small steel as well some bulleye targets

http://www.qualitytargets.com/ihmsa-nra-1-8-thick-silhouette-steel-target-white-set-1-10-scale/

I believe this is a 100 pack
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=MR31C

Its Basically 1 MOA at 100 yards. You can use it to see the apparent differential up and down....

Nothing beats good ol internal processing.

I have a bolt action 22 that sort of simulates my hunting rifles. I was thinking of doing exactly that.

I have a bolt action 22 that sort of simulates my hunting rifles. I was thinking of doing exactly that.

You'll need 22 ammo you can trust to repeat at that distance
This is the best stuff I've found for such shooting:
2134195_XL.JPG

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=2134195

For me its always held 20 shots within 1 MOA at 100 yards.

I went to sportsman’s warehouse and picked up a tikka t3x superlite in 6.5cm today. So that happened. They were on sale for 650.00 and I had 200.00 of gift cards so 450.00 total.

I’m thinking of looking around and seeing if there’s any chassis systems out there that wouldn’t be too heavy. Also trying to decide what scope to put on this rifle. At the moment the 2 choices are a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 with a bdc reticle or my nightforce shv 3-10x42.

I’m leaning towards using the NF so the leupold can go back in my kimber 308 keeping me at 5lb 11oz. So I’ll just need to buy a Talley picitanny rail for the tikka.

I’m actually pretty excited about this gun. Tikkas are well known for their accuracy and value although the value is obviously less nownwirh current prices.

I went to sportsman’s warehouse and picked up a tikka t3x superlite in 6.5cm today. So that happened. They were on sale for 650.00 and I had 200.00 of gift cards so 450.00 total.

I’m thinking of looking around and seeing if there’s any chassis systems out there that wouldn’t be too heavy. Also trying to decide what scope to put on this rifle. At the moment the 2 choices are a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 with a bdc reticle or my nightforce shv 3-10x42.

I’m leaning towards using the NF so the leupold can go back in my kimber 308 keeping me at 5lb 11oz. So I’ll just need to buy a Talley picitanny rail for the tikka.

I’m actually pretty excited about this gun. Tikkas are well known for their accuracy and value although the value is obviously less nownwirh current prices.

The NF sounds like a good choice for it.

The hornady rounds are very accurate. Something to keep in mind for hunting if you want to use their high bc options.

The 143 eld x is a stronger construction, thicker jacket and has an interlock ring. It should be used at closer distances as the 147's grenade pretty violently at close range.

Cross-Sectioned-Hornady-143-grain-ELD-X.jpg

However at longer ranges the 147 excel and are great as the videos show.

The NF sounds like a good choice for it.

The hornady rounds are very accurate. Something to keep in mind for hunting if you want to use their high bc options.

The 143 eld x is a stronger construction, thicker jacket and has an interlock ring. It should be used at closer distances as the 147's grenade pretty violently at close range.

Cross-Sectioned-Hornady-143-grain-ELD-X.jpg

However at longer ranges the 147 excel and are great as the videos show.

It seems like with the NF scope, I should be able to keep it under 7.5lbs which is ok for this rifle, I’m mainly looking to extend my range and improve my shooting skill so I don’t leave anything to chance in the mountains.

Hopefully between practice with this set up, with the 22, then doing laps on the local mountains with my pack on I’ll be ready to do a serious hunt in 2019. For this sheep season, I’m hoping to just do a resident hunt in unit 9, I’m still realistically only 60% recovered from my injury.

Thanks for the advice with the Ammo, I need to start getting serious about that too as I really don’t know much about the 6.5.

@Chesten_Hesten @RerouteToRemain

It’s also cool that the new t3x stock has the ability to change out the grip to a more vertical setup, I’ll probably do that for when I work more on probe shooting.

I got a few boxes of Hornady precision hunter Ammo to start out with as well.

I got a few boxes of Hornady precision hunter Ammo to start out with as well

That is the 143 eld-x right?

As far as other rounds the Swift Scirocco ii 130gr is said to be great, but sometimes difficult for people to find a good load for good groups if you hand load. However Norma and Swift load and sell them with good accuracy reports. Basically everything that people love in other calibers, Barnes lrx(tsx), accubond, accubond LR, partitions, SST superformance, etc. The 140gr berger VLD are great ballistically and accurate but I've read mixed reviews on it's hunting performance.

But the huge advantage of 6.5 is the high BC bullets with high sectional density. Basically any of those rounds will be fine inside 400. The ELD-X 143 and ELD 147 are basically king in the regard of bc.

A report on the 6.5 from an African safari.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2012/02/shooting-65-creedmoor-african-safari

Trying to decide how to mount the nightforce SHV on the tikka t3x sl, I have the nightforce ultralight rings already but I’m trying to decide between a Talley 20moa and a warne mountain tech 20moa, Keanu g towards the warne. Or possibly the mountain tactical version.

I also ordered the horizontal grip unit for the t3x, now sure how often I’ll use it but it’s not like it was a huge investment and cheaper than a McMillan a3 stock or some shitz

Trying to decide how to mount the nightforce SHV on the tikka t3x sl, I have the nightforce ultralight rings already but I’m trying to decide between a Talley 20moa and a warne mountain tech 20moa, Keanu g towards the warne. Or possibly the mountain tactical version.

I also ordered the horizontal grip unit for the t3x, now sure how often I’ll use it but it’s not like it was a huge investment and cheaper than a McMillan a3 stock or some shitz

If you feel like spending money.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-mounts/leap-scope-mount/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back