Was The Rock Overrated?

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The Rock didn't seem too tough in a lot of his matches. When he wrestled HHH in a ladder match HHH took all the big bumps and Rock didn't take much punishment in comparison even though the match was competitive and fairly even. In his matches with Foley, The Rock barely took any bumps at all. Mick did all the hard work. This seems like a trend with The Rock - his opponents usually did all or almost all of the painful bumps and The Rock just took little bumps. Then his finishing move was just a standing elbow drop. Compared to what the other main venters were doing for finishers, it was pretty weak. I think his mic skill was what made people think he was great. He talked a good talk but he didn't back the talk up and for a guy who was always calling other wrestlers "candy-asses", The Rock really seemed squeamish about taking punishment.

I think The Rock was a legend yet it would depend on your interpretation of what a legend was. Rock had the titles, the legacy matches, the self-promotion/mic skills, and in-ring wrestling ability. My thing with Rock was and it might sound really small, however he never worked his way from the bottom to the top as others had. Austin, Bret and Shawn were not given instant gratification. Rock came in immediately as a godfathered (family name) superstar and was pushed to an immediate intercontinental heavyweight title fight. There was no starting point from the bottom as a tomato can or in an insignificant tag team.

IMO, no. He got himself over to being a top 5 all-time biggest draw and most over babyface. He has the look, charisma, mic skills. His in-ring work was very good, but not great. If you want call him overrated on that basis, fair enough.

I’m not a big fan of the rock personally but I don’t think he’s overrated.

Hard to call it one way or the other. Having said that, he's a major reason I stopped watching at around the age of 13.

I think The Rock was a legend yet it would depend on your interpretation of what a legend was. Rock had the titles, the legacy matches, the self-promotion/mic skills, and in-ring wrestling ability. My thing with Rock was and it might sound really small, however he never worked his way from the bottom to the top as others had. Austin, Bret and Shawn were not given instant gratification. Rock came in immediately as a godfathered (family name) superstar and was pushed to an immediate intercontinental heavyweight title fight. There was no starting point from the bottom as a tomato can or in an insignificant tag team.
But didn't fans hate his baby face character until he got his heel gimmick over? He had to put in some work, but I see where you're coming from

ummmm have you SEEN the rock??!!!
when you lookin that damn fine you don't take bumps
can't risk messing up that beautiful face
and dat excellent bod
lawd!
c60ce4cbc3c46139f7bbe524de7a3d6e.gif

it's truly a wonder why they didn't just put him in the center of the ring
and sexy dance his way outta his clothes
then bring me out of the audience to oil him up!
tumblr_m5a5seEA3p1qkjvg5.gif

But didn't fans hate his baby face character until he got his heel gimmick over? He had to put in some work, but I see where you're coming from

Yes they tried hard as hell to shove him down our throats as a baby face.....then came Die Rocky Die.

Sound familiar?

and dat excellent bod
lawd!

"When you lookin that damn fine you don't take bumps." Looks have nothing to do with it. A wrestler who seems to be as squeamish about taking punishment as you seem to be about using proper English presents a problem. It puts the burden almost entirely on the wrestler he's working with. If you think about the matches he had with HHH or Mick Foley, if they hadn't been willing to take all the bumps except for a few of the smaller bumps, those matches not only wouldn't be remembered as classic matches, they wouldn't even be remembered as good matches.

"When you lookin that damn fine you don't take bumps." Looks have nothing to do with it. A wrestler who seems to be as squeamish about taking punishment as you seem to be about using proper English presents a problem. To make a match exciting that puts the burden almost entirely on the wrestler he's working with. If you think about the matches he had with HHH or Mick Foley, if they hadn't been willing to take all the bumps except for a few of the smaller bumps, those matches not only wouldn't be remembered as classic matches, they wouldn't even be remembered as good matches.
Looks have everything to do with anything. Are you ugly? Prolly why you said what you did.

Looks have everything to do with anything. Are you ugly? Prolly why you said what you did.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can understand why the concept of intelligence being more important than looks in almost everything would more than likely be a frightening one for you to accept so I won't try to convince you of it. Ignorance is something we can do something about but stupidity is genetic and the only cure was invented by Col. Colt.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can understand why the concept of intelligence being more important than looks in almost everything would more than likely be a frightening one for you to accept so I won't try to convince you of it. Ignorance is something we can do something about but stupidity is genetic and the only cure was invented by Col. Colt.
Oh yeah you’re def uggo lmao

and dat excellent bod
lawd!

rock isnt into dudes

No, even though the only one of his matches I can really remember is against Hogan, he kept the brand in the national spotlight when Austin started to get tired as the headliner. I'd put him up there with Savage and Flair in the top 5 all time superstars. He's not Hogan or Austin, but he's closer to those two than he is the next tier down.

Back