Buying a new watch; which brand(s) do you recommend?

Nothing at all, if you’ve also got some velcro Keds and jean shorts to go with it.
They have nice watches i was looking at them in the south coast plaza mall in orange county

Is this some sort of running joke?

Why do we keep having watch buying threads and who the hell buys a watch anymore?

I had one when I was in high school too, I’ve still got it in a drawer somewhere.

The fact that they finance watches that cost $75-180 should tell you something about who they’re for.

But I’m being a wiseass more than anything, I don’t care at all whatever trinkets others fancy buying. The world would be boring if everyone liked the same shit.

Why you hating bro?

They got some nice watches, I used to buy them as a kid back in the late 80s and early 90s along with Casio and timex from the local Savons drugsstore.

https://www.swatch.com/en_us/

Adults with taste and means?

611-084-L.jpg

If you want an obsolete timepiece for decorative purposes, at least get something nice.

I had one when I was in high school too, I’ve still got it in a drawer somewhere.

The fact that they finance watches that cost $75-180 should tell you something about who they’re for.

But I’m being a wiseass more than anything, I don’t care at all whatever trinkets others fancy buying. The world would be boring if everyone liked the same shit.

75 to 180 bucks is pretty expensive.

From my own experience, my suggestion is to start thinking first with these standard watches which naturally will run up to that 5K budget. The reason why I say to think of these first is because there's a lot of models in between which you might be sucked in by but long-term they don't hold up in style, timelessness, or resale value. For example, many collectors started off hating Rolex but ended with owning them due to irresistable draw, especially as they becomes more knowledgeable in watches. So start with the basics then expand the criteria to see if you truly can live with a lesser watch or one that is not as popular.

The standards:
Omega Speedmaster Professional
sp_moonwatch_prof_31130423001005_vuec_1600x900.jpg

Any used Rolex within budget but if modern and new is the criteria,
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm
Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-39-ref-114300-White-Dial-Baselworld-2018-4.jpg

Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso
Jaeger-LeCoultre-Reverso-Classic-SIHH-2016-aBlogtoWatch-3.jpg

If those are not up your alley or too expensive:
Omega Seamaster Professional 300
96135f3304676de71b159b767ef1a851.jpg

Tudor Black Bay regular or GMT models
Tudor-Black-Bay-GMT-1.jpg

If you really want something weird and original:

Grand Seiko Snowflake
B89A3991.jpg

Montblanc Spirit Orbis Terrarum
IMG_8961.JPG

Rado HyperChrome Captain Cook
rado_hero.jpg

Finally if you come to your senses and want to buy a more affordable timepiece:

Seiko SKX009
20171014_105032_d31feeac-7190-4812-b2c6-f2699ad52b81_1024x1024.jpg

Citizen Nighthawk
CITIZEN_NIGHTHAWK_DIAL2.jpg

Tissot PRC200
T055.417.16.057.00_DETAIL.1.png

The moon watch Omega Speedmaster. I'd like to buy one myself in the next year or so.

I just wear a shirt made out of hundred dollar bills and use my phone. That way people know I make money, and I don't have to learn how to tell time.

One of my uncles worked as a US custom. He would confiscate all kinds of stuff (all kinds!). He got me a tag carrera, a rolex oyster perpetual, a phillipe patek and an IWC watch, all knock offs. Hell, the rolex doesn't even need a battery.

I took a few of them to a jewelry store, and the guy said that the only way he could tell they were fake was because of the weight. The real ones are heavier.

I need to take them out of the box they're packed in and take pics.

Back