International Trump/Kim Singapore Summit **UPDATE** Korean Denuclearization Agreement Signed

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a Nobel Prize.

We might be luckily experiencing one rare benefit of an outlandish buffoon being in charge- that another less powerful outlandish buffoon looked up to him and was inspired by it. Similar to two bullies who threaten each other repeatedly but end up not fighting, but instead being friends.

I'm not convinced that is true, but it would have to be true according to some arguments. That's the best I can do there, and it's so ridiculous a premise in the shadow of potential nuclear war that it's almost a strawman.

So it's really just back to the consequentialist argument, but there's no evidence that Kim was moved toward peace by the exchange of violence rhetoric than by, say, the Olympics. Or that he was more inspired by the Twitter war than by, say, his achievement of nuclear deterrence.

It could just as easily be the case that peace could have been more easily achieved without the mutual threats of annihilation and the childish asses-at-the-windows show we were all subjected to for months.

Yet there is no uncertainty whatsoever that the overtures, disposition, and hospitality of the Moon regime is directly responsible both in its consequences and by its methods for the peace that is unfolding between North and South Korea, in which the United States is playing a secondary role.

In short, Fuck Trump, Fuck Kim, give the Prize to Moon.

You honestly dont know anything. Neither do i.

All we know is the bullshit left media spams, the ridiculous tweets from trump and the response from kim and the fact that moon praises trump as a main reason as to why all this is happening.

So give credit to where its due as people who DO know are suggesting.

If obama gets the peace prize fir being black than trump should absolutely get it. Not for being orange but for actually creating peace.

Novel idea, i know!

didn't trump actually say hes not gonna be the wolds policemen?
wtf do you even want?

Seems fairly obvious that I think the US President should discuss US Military operations with his Secretary of Defense before he discusses and commits their operations with Rogue Dictator who is at odd with American Foreign Policy Interests.

And Foreign Policy is the main reason I'm anti Trump

Good post. Kim will never give up his nukes. He may say he did, but he won't. Kind of like the Israelis and their nukes. The few nukes NK has will be well hidden. Any movement done at night to prevent satellite photos. NK has atomic bombs only, no thermonuclear ones. That is a whole different technology which they are definitely years away from. Probably no more than 20 bombs at the 15 kiloton range. Rudimentary bombs, big, which means it will not fit on a missile or a plane.

I don't think the guy is in any danger of being deposed. It is a dynasty and he is considered to be 'godlike' to his people. Like the Japanese emperor after WWII. Remember that Mao Zedong killed 78,000,000 Chinese during the 'Cultural Revolution' from 1966 to 1976. Not an enemy or war, but his own people. The Chinese consider him a hero. The Soviet Union went through something similar with Stalin and he too was considered a hero.

Libya and Iraq would be doing fine if both Gaddafi and Saddam were alive today ruling their country. Both countries have gone to shit without their dictator. Democracy does not work in all cultures. We Americans have always failed to learn that. Brazil is another example of that also. The country has gone to shit in the last 40 years. The government is corrupt, the politicians are corrupt, and the culture is corrupt. Russia has also gone through its own problems after 'glasnost' and 'perestroika'. The culture has become corrupt and we now have Putin trying to bring his country and people back in line to the glory days of the old Soviet Union.

Kim should stay in power. NK without a strong leader will most likely default to what Libya and Iraq have become today. Some terrorist group will step in to fill the vacuum and control the nuclear weapons. A new NK that will spread its wings into terrorism (ISIS), hostage takeover, but still under the protection of the nuclear 'cloak'. Pakistan has so far managed to do ok (150 nukes), but I consider them more of a threat than a nuclear armed Iran or North Korea. A corrupt country, government, and culture. They run a nuclear 'black market' of sorts. Sale to the highest bidder.

We do not have the details of the agreement Trump and Kim signed. From what I understand it is vague, broad, and open to interpretation. Kim wants to move NK into the 21st century. The U.S. wants to get rid of any potential war with South Korea or use of nuclear weapons. I think both countries have gained something through the summit and the agreement. Too early to tell... Seems like the Trump, Kim and Rodman combination has worked. All three getting along with each other. I think Rodman has played a bigger part in this matter than most people give him credit for. I think Kim loved the idea of traveling outside of NK, I expect he will be doing more of that.
I agree with all of this except for the opening paragraph. I think that Kim could be willing to give up his nukes IF he gets the chance to modernize his country AND he is guaranteed that he will be safely kept in power. Those are pretty big conditions, but if they were met, I could see Kim putting down the nukes, especially if that's his only path towards getting all the other things he wants.

@Fawlty I just thought of how this might play out: Like the Shah of Iran. The US is going to be expected to honor its deal to prop up the dictator when there is a huge social movement happening underneath him, and we're going to help him or give him political asylum here because it would otherwise invalidate any other agreement that we've made to support a dictator in exchange for something more important like denuclearization.

It goes on.....

That Kim sure does love his people.

<Ellaria01> ........................................ <Dany07>

The left in a nutshell:

Trump insults and provokes Kim Jung Un:

"Oh' my God, you can't talk to Kim that way! He's gonna kill us all! AHHHHHHH!!!!"

Trump compliments Kim in an effort for diplomacy:

"Trump is just bending over for Kim. Can you believe he's complimenting a ruthless dictator? Why is Trump being so nice to Kim?"

Pa-fucking-thetic.

If you think people aren't seeing through the constant bullshit you guys peddle, you're fooling yourselves. Keep crying, geeks.

You honestly dont know anything. Neither do i.

All we know is the bullshit left media spams, the ridiculous tweets from trump and the response from kim and the fact that moon praises trump as a main reason as to why all this is happening.

So give credit to where its due as people who DO know are suggesting.

If obama gets the peace prize fir being black than trump should absolutely get it. Not for being orange but for actually creating peace.

Novel idea, i know!
You may not be able to do better than "we cannot know things," "take it at face value," and "but Obama," but I can.

I'm trying to understand why the left wanted war with millions of Koreans dead instead of peace.

Is it because Trump is the one bringing the peace or is there some logical reason I'm missing?

I never imagined the left to be warmongers but this thread sure convinced me otherwise.

I'm trying to understand why the left wanted war with millions of Koreans dead instead of peace.

Is it because Trump is the one bringing the peace or is there some logical reason I'm missing?

Yes, that is exactly why.

I never imagined the left to be warmongers but this thread sure convinced me otherwise.

Who is directly advocating war and death to millions of Koreans? Is it like the right and Iran?

They are pro death, likely one of the reasons they want Muslims in western nations.

<Ellaria01> ........................................ <Dany07>

The left in a nutshell:

Trump insults and provokes Kim Jung Un:

"Oh' my God, you can't talk to Kim that way! He's gonna kill us all! AHHHHHHH!!!!"

Trump compliments Kim in an effort for diplomacy:

"Trump is just bending over for Kim. Can you believe he's complimenting a ruthless dictator? Why is Trump being so nice to Kim?"

Pa-fucking-thetic.

If you think people aren't seeing through the constant bullshit you guys peddle, you're fooling yourselves. Keep crying, geeks.

Or we're pissed that Trump insults our principle allies while constantly commending a man who should be ground to dust for his crimes. Maybe we're pissed that he legitimated a ruthless dictator, gave up war games, and got nothing but a nebulous promise (something he does himself fruitlessly all the time), after not consulting with any of his key people, and openly admitting he never even prepared. We also know that he does not even read his intelligence briefings, so he has no clue about anything strategic regarding NK.

But by all means, keep sucking that dick in the tundra.

This. But between the icbm missiles, and the economy breaking, but most of all cellphones making it impossible to maintain the dynasty as is. I think NK tried really hard with the icbm gambit to get some sort of opening up like China deals. Trump did make sanctions stick though to be fair
Yep he getd credit for not fucking up as bad as usual
Altgough the massive int smugling gaps opened up by his lazyness in not filling soo many gov posts (still many vacant from obama leaving) prob helped nk squeeze on a few years

Whenever the Obama admin spoke of meeting with men like Kim, the right wing media, and right wingers in general, seemed to have a huge problem with it, and deservedly so. Now the right is gobbling Trump's sack over this meeting absent pre conditions, in which Kim Jong Un got what he wanted while we got nothing but the reaffirmation of an agreement already made which had nothing to do with Trump or America.

It must be hard to be even the least bit measured when you have Trump's dick in your eyes.

Whenever the Obama admin spoke of meeting with men like Kim, the right wing media, and right wingers in general, seemed to have a huge problem with it, and deservedly so. Now the right is gobbling Trump's sack over this meeting absent pre conditions, in which Kim Jong Un got what he wanted while we got nothing but the reaffirmation of an agreement already made which had nothing to do with Trump or America.

It must be hard to be even the least bit measured when you have Trump's dick in your eyes.

I repeat:

North Korea is a piece of shit regime but the only way you can even hope of improving the conditions for the prisoners and the people living in poverty, is by establishing some sort of a dialogue with the regime itself. By somehow getting it through their thick heads that they can also govern a population by giving them carrots instead of the stick.

The problem with NK right now is that they've got no carrots to give. They're isolated from the global market and partake in no trading whatsoever. Technologically and productively they're backwards. The fear of the lash, is all that's keeping the structure in place.

The other possibility is to assassinate the entire government with a squad consisting of Rambos. But that's probably not happening.

People have cried about the plights of North Koreans for 50+ years. But nobody has done jackshit about it. They'll keep crying for them, for another 50 years. Doesn't change the situation at all.

Whatever happens, atleast Trump can say that he tried something. Might not be worth much, but it's still probably worth more than all of the whining and crying.

Back