Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So they finally got this on the ballot, I didn't vote on Tuesday, I don't really vote anymore last time I voted was for Obama the first time around and California Governor Jerry Brown, what do you guys think of this? Good or bad move?

HT_Calif_3_split_180613KA_hpMain_13x7_608.jpg

California residents will get a chance to vote on a measure to divide the Golden State into three separate states, election officials said Tuesday.

Proponents of the CAL 3 initiative submitted more than 402,468 valid signatures as of Tuesday, making it eligible for the Nov. 6 general election ballot, according to the California Secretary of State’s office.

The office did not say exactly how many total signatures were submitted, but backers said the petition drew more than 600,000 from residents across the state’s 58 counties, dwarfing the 365,000 signatures required to qualify for the ballot.

Adding the initiative to the ballot would be the first step in a long process that would ultimately require approval from Congress.

Draper proposed similar measures in 2012 and 2014, but those efforts failed after election officials invalidated many of the signatures collected.

“The unanimous support for CAL 3 from all 58 of California’s counties to reach this unprecedented milestone in the legislative process is the signal that across California, we are united behind CAL 3 to create a brighter future for everyone,” Draper said in a statement in April after the signatures were collected.

Draper says the spilt would create three separate governments, boost education and infrastructure, and lower taxes, but critics claim it could do more harm than good.

“It’s not like you’re starting from scratch, you have to blow up everything,” Steven Maviglio, who helped defeat Draper’s previous effort, told local reporters earlier this year. “There are so many fundamentally flawed aspects to this.”

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/proposal-...er-ballot-085603479--abc-news-topstories.html

Im not sure i want that to happen due to electoral college issues and not being sure the break down or if this makes it so that California types decide everything from now on

Can the rest of us vote on No ya cant ?

If this passes we dont have to hear the "California has a bigger economy than X country" anymore. About time that state was humbled.

Im not sure i want that to happen due to electoral college issues and not being sure the break down or if this makes it so that California types decide everything from now on

California has 55 electoral votes. That's the most of any state whatsoever, and that's the purpose of this proposal.

At one point I would have said this is ridiculous and stands no chance. But recently I have lost a lot of faith, and I honestly would not be shocked anymore.

So you don't care if it helps out the tens of millions of people who live in Cali?

Unfortunately I think that's the case.

California has 55 electoral votes. That's the most of any state whatsoever, and that's the purpose of this proposal.

how many will each new state have ? im feeling like this would magnify Californians power by 3

6 anti gun senators instead of 2 too right ?

Do you realize this helps republicans and not dems?

how many will each new state have ? im feeling like this would magnify Californians power by 3

6 anti gun senators instead of 2 too right ?

Why would it do that? Northern California is as die hard, neckbearded Republican pro gun as you can find. That's one of the reasons this is being pushed, Because the majority of the population is in L.A., San Diego and San Francisco, thus the state is a shoe in for the Dems every 4 years.

Do you realize this helps republicans and not dems?

Im not sure 2 super liberal states with high populations and one maybe conservative one is helpful

and I dont want to help republicans either

Im just not sure how this would play out with other issues not just elections

Can we just solve this by making all 50 states electoral votes be by proportion instead of winner take all....

Why would it do that? Northern California is as die hard, neckbearded Republican pro gun as you can find. That's one of the reasons this is being pushed, Because the majority of the population is in L.A., San Diego and San Francisco, thus the state is a shoe in for the Dems every 4 years.

Well i did say im not sure californias lay out like that I thought they were all super liberal out that way

I also thought electorate was based off population?

So youd still have 2 super liberal states and 1 small red one if things go according to plan ?

So you don't care if it helps out the tens of millions of people who live in Cali?

Unfortunately I think that's the case.

I admit I dont know the state that well and my first thought was now there will be 3 instead of one and wasnt thinking that one of them might not be as liberal

Kind of a damning comment on our political system underlying this - that political unities with different demographic and political philosophies consider splitting the state a more palatable option than working with the other side. That being said, depending on what kind of neck-so-red-it-looks-like-they're-wearing-a-scarf voter group one was dealing with, I kind of get it. Is California really this split ideologically?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back