The Majority of Americans Have Very Reasonable Abortion Views

A recent Gallup poll confirms:

60% of Americans feel abortion should be legal during the first trimester.

This number plummets to only 28% who feel abortion should be legal during the second trimester.

Just 13% of Americans-- a tiny minority-- feel that abortion should continue to be legal in the third trimester.

83% of Americans support abortion in the first trimester if the mother's life is in danger. 77% support abortion in the first trimester for cases of rape.

Interestingly, there was no statistical difference between men and women in overall support of abortions-- except that men were about 5% more likely to support late stage abortions.

This poll shows that public opinion on abortion has remained stable over time. It has a 4 pt margin of error.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/13/6192...abortion-rights-wanes-as-pregnancy-progresses

My takeaways:
  • The "pro life" vs. "pro choice" terms that this debate usually gets framed under do not adequately reflect the feelings of 60%+ Americans.
  • I'm comforted in the fact that most Americans are not hardliners on this issue.
  • The 13% who support third trimester abortion for any reason should get together with the 17% who don't support first trimester abortion even when the mother's life is in danger. These two groups should move to an island somewhere and leave the rest of us alone.

On a personal level I don't agree with abortion. I don't believe in killing a potential life just because myself and the girl I stuck my dick in might find it inconvenient to raise a child.

On the other hand if somebody else wants to do have an abortion that should be up to them, so I guess that makes me pro choice.

On a personal level I don't agree with abortion. I don't believe in killing a potential life just because myself and the girl I stuck my dick in might find it inconvenient to raise a child.

On the other hand if somebody else wants to do have an abortion that should be up to them, so I guess that makes me pro choice.

I'm pro choice, but honestly, I consider the best description of abortion as "justifiable homocide." I think we should just flat out say that what it is, in practical terms, we put price on life, and we put very little value on early unborn organisms.

This is my problem with the extreme pro-life position.

Say an 11 year old girl gets raped and the resultant pregnancy not only has severe defects but it is a danger to her life.

You are really going to force this child to carry a baby through a terribly difficult pregnancy to a delivery in which she will likely die?

Then what happens? You shrug your shoulders and say, "Eh, God's will"?

On the other hand, I find it repugnant to think that a healthy woman could carry a baby for seven months, then just have second thoughts and blender it up.

But I don't find the two above scenarios equally repugnant. I find the first more repugnant than the second.
How many cases of this are there? Like is it even in the hundreds?

i dont but i am saying 1.3 billion people do. not sure what you getting at

And the Catholic Church covered up for kiddie rape. Why should i be concerned what the church or Alabama (lol) thinks about anything.

Can you give me a run down of how that works? That is the first time I have ever seen that point made anywhere, that legal abortion had a large hand in lowering crime rates. Interesting if true.

This is the wiki page of the study. Note that there are significant criticisms.

I truly don't have a dog in this fight, I used to cite the study religiously, but the criticisms shouldn't be overlooked.

Here’s the hypothesis, counter, and rebuttal.

http://freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/abortion-and-crime-who-should-you-believe/

A recent Gallup poll confirms:

60% of Americans feel abortion should be legal during the first trimester.

This number plummets to only 28% who feel abortion should be legal during the second trimester.

Just 13% of Americans-- a tiny minority-- feel that abortion should continue to be legal in the third trimester.

83% of Americans support abortion in the first trimester if the mother's life is in danger. 77% support abortion in the first trimester for cases of rape.

Interestingly, there was no statistical difference between men and women in overall support of abortions-- except that men were about 5% more likely to support late stage abortions.

This poll shows that public opinion on abortion has remained stable over time. It has a 4 pt margin of error.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/13/6192...abortion-rights-wanes-as-pregnancy-progresses

My takeaways:
  • The "pro life" vs. "pro choice" terms that this debate usually gets framed under do not adequately reflect the feelings of 60%+ Americans.
  • I'm comforted in the fact that most Americans are not hardliners on this issue.
  • The 13% who support third trimester abortion for any reason should get together with the 17% who don't support first trimester abortion even when the mother's life is in danger. These two groups should move to an island somewhere and leave the rest of us alone.

You mean most americans are logically inconsistent. Why is X days after pregnancy ok but X+1 days is baaaad?

Be logically consistent. Either an unborn baby is bad to kill the whole time or not at all.

How many cases of this are there? Like is it even in the hundreds?
There are about 175,000 rapes in the US per year (on the low side, since rape is generally held to be under reported). Using normative numbers for birth control and pregnancy rates, that gets you somewhere around 3,000 rape pregnancies per year.

You mean most americans are logically inconsistent. Why is X days after pregnancy ok but X+1 days is baaaad?

Be logically consistent. Either an unborn baby is bad to kill the whole time or not at all.
That’s terrible logic that presupposes the very black and white categorical definitions that it relies on.

Does a baby become a toddler? Does a toddler become a child? Does a child become an adolescent? Yes, yes, yes. Do any of these things happen at one specific moment? Of course not. They are all gradual changes.

Why is it, therefore, unreasonable to assume that at some point a baby isn’t a baby but a fetus? And at some point before that not a fetus but simply a fertilized egg?

Are you ethically opposed to the “morning after pill”? Because, by your logic, it is just as immoral to take the morning after pill as it is to throw a newborn out a hospital window.

Think, please.

Last edited:
That number should be 100%

Damn straight. It's population control. Look at the majority of women having abortions. They aren't raising upstanding citizens. The fact that they want to murder their would be offspring is all you need to know about how well off that offspring would be if not aborted. They would be starting at the bottom, and most people never rise to the top.

I'm pro choice, but honestly, I consider the best description of abortion as "justifiable homocide." I think we should just flat out say that what it is, in practical terms, we put price on life, and we put very little value on early unborn organisms.

We are starting to put less and less value on the lives of the elderly, the sick, the infirm, hell the left openly celebrates telling people that are just unhappy to go to Switzerland and kill themselves. This also seeps in to how citizens of America can watch millions of civilians but get slaughtered by direct or indirect actions of our government and just shrug. That's what happens when people give up on the church's idea of the sanctity of life. Such compassion, we are truly enlightened.

Y'all mf'ers need sum Jesus

Damn straight. It's population control. Look at the majority of women having abortions. They aren't raising upstanding citizens. The fact that they want to murder their would be offspring is all you need to know about how well off that offspring would be if not aborted. They would be starting at the bottom, and most people never rise to the top.

See gents, right here, that's the compassion of a product of a public school education. Life means nothing.

We are starting to put less and less value on the lives of the elderly, the sick, the infirm, hell the left openly celebrates telling people that are just unhappy to go to Switzerland and kill themselves. This also seeps in to how citizens of America can watch millions of civilians but get slaughtered by direct or indirect actions of our government and just shrug. That's what happens when people give up on the church's idea of the sanctity of life. Such compassion, we are truly enlightened.

Y'all mf'ers need sum Jesus
I agree, actually. It’s not just the radical “lefty” who has given up on the sanctity of life, though. Paul Ryan would have everyone’s grandma living in a cardboard box and eating cat food if he had his way. Rand Paul ain’t much better there, I’m afraid.

See gents, right here, that's the compassion of a product of a public school education. Life means nothing.
More like compassion that’s the product of reddit.

Last edited:
A good start. Well, only half of us still end up being catholic after that. I went through high school.

That was the plan for me, until I convinced my parents otherwise. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. All my best friends were made in my neighborhood and went to public schools.

Had I went to catholic high school, I would have corrupted the fuck out of school buddies. Public school was rough.

13% is not a tiny tiny minority. That's the size of the entire black population.

"That 13% is gigantic. Enormous. Black people."

Because 83% support 1st trimester abortion when the mother's life is in danger, that doesn't necessarily mean that 17% are against it. There's usually some kind of "undecided" option.

"That 17% probably isn't even 17%. It's probably more like, 13% against. And that's like nothing."

Your words betray you, very often.

I've killed many billions of lives in my life just because my pants got tighter. Can't blame a woman for killing 1 if it's gonna ruin her life or lead to the kid having a miserable one.

And the Catholic Church covered up for kiddie rape. Why should i be concerned what the church or Alabama (lol) thinks about anything.
To be fair, just about every human organization that exists has covered up sexual assault.

And just about every organization that involves kids has covered up kiddie rape.

It’s really not ideal.

“Catholic Clergy Aren’t More Likely to Abuse Children Than Any Other Clergy... Or Men in General.”
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...ut-clergy-sexual-abuse-in-the-catholic-church

Back