drinking, can i have a few without falling into bad habits ?

my understanding is that your craving means you have a drinking problem, or a tendency to have one, but if like you say you can control it, then it shouldnt be an issue.

If you recognized you were drinking too much and was able to stop, it doesn’t sound like you have a drinking problem.
This is the worst and most dangerous advice in this thread.

To the TS: the answer is no. You're not one of the people who can have a few. Sorry, you got one of those bad lottery tickets for alcohol consumption, genetically speaking. This will never be anything but a slippery slope to ruin for you.

I disagree. It means he probably wasn't an alcoholic, but he could have been abusing alcohol.

I drank heavily for a few years, then I started seeing it affect my health and was concerned about my liver. I was able to quit without too much effort, and for that reason I would say I wasn't an alcoholic, but I did use alcohol to self medicate and that is a drinking problem.

have you allowed yourself to have enjoy beers though after stopping....

to be real the amount i was drinking would likely have been considered normal for many.

but as someone who was never really a big drinker you notice it as a potential issue much sooner.

Last edited:
Drink 2 beers, and that's it.

Two beers is a good compromise, to fit in & get the beginnings of a slight buzz, and you won't blow over a 0.8 if you're pulled over.

2 beers. No more than that.

If you don't have the self-control to do that, you need to become a man before drinking again.

thats the thing about self control. im not setting a 2 beer limit or any boundries. its more of a can i enjoy a few beers without habits forming.

isnt a 2 beer limit setting yourself up for disaster down the track ?

is that even worth it ?
It is for me. I don't drink to get buzzed, but to relax. For me, more than one is playing with fire. If you need more than one to get there you have a problem imo. I don't ever want to wake up feeling the regret of a hangover but I hit what I considered my rock bottom years ago. I think you have to reach that low point for a one drink limit or total abstinence to be worth it.

For my dad, the limit was 2 or 3. I don't remember. After he saw all the issues I used to have with drinking he stopped completely. Set a boundary and stick to it... and it shouldn't be drinking every day either.

Last edited:

To the TS: the answer is no. You're not one of the people who can have a few. Sorry, you got one of those bad lottery tickets for alcohol consumption, genetically speaking. This will never be anything but a slippery slope to ruin for you.
I don’t know, man. Normally I would agree with you, but he was able to monitor his behavior and make changes on his own. He even has alcohol in the house and doesn’t touch it. I think he’s disciplined enough to have a couple of drinks. He’s demonstrated he’s capable of controlling it.

I don’t know, man. Normally I would agree with you, but he was able to monitor his behavior and make changes on his own. He even has alcohol in the house and doesn’t touch it. I think he’s disciplined enough to have a couple of drinks. He’s demonstrated he’s capable of controlling it.
It wasn't clear from the OP, but I interpreted his language to mean he controlled it by eliminating beer from his life ("now I haven't had any beer for some time").

That is the control. By bringing beer back into the house/life you have now removed the control. Why would you expect a different result than came before with these same conditions?

I don't even know who you are, much less know you well enough to know if you're an alcoholic or not. You know though. Everyone knows if there's really a problem or not, underneath all the denial.

Did you just refer to 12 beers as "a few"?

AA-Meeting.jpg
American piss water.

It wasn't clear from the OP, but I interpreted his language to mean he controlled it by eliminating beer from his life ("now I haven't had any beer for some time").

That is the control. By bringing beer back into the house/life you have now removed the control. Why would you expect a different result than came before with these same conditions?
Admittedly I don’t know much about the situation, but it doesn’t sound like the guy hit rock bottom, or needed an intervention, or rehab. He was like, “I think I’m drinking too much, I need to knock that out.” And then he just did. That sounds more like someone who has a bad habit than a legit problem. Idk though, obviously the safest bet is just to never drink.

Drink 2 beers, and that's it.

Two beers is a good compromise, to fit in & get the beginnings of a slight buzz, and you won't blow over a 0.8 if you're pulled over.

2 beers. No more than that.

If you don't have the self-control to do that, you need to become a man before drinking again.

I started doing this - I'll get a 6 or 4 pack of an at least 9% beer, shotgun just 2 of them in 5-10 min and coast. Gives me nice buzz and I usually no longer go much past that, maybe one more beer, no more.

Right here - if your goal is control, stay away. I'm in the same boat - I drink to get drunk. If I have 2 beers, I'm getting drunk. If I can't have more than 2 beers, I'll make sure they're 10%+

If you stop drinking you will have to replace that empty time with something. Most people who abuse drugs do so because without drugs, they are stuck thinking about their shitty life. If your life is generally ok, then by all means have a few beers, it's unlikely to get out of control. If your life sucks, stop drinking and fix your life.

listen to this man, its the best advice in the thread

You don't have a drinking problem unless you go to AA, so definitely don't do that...

Back