Gun Cabinets!

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score
Remember these?

When I was a kid, seemed like everyone had them. Staple furniture in every household, (Or so I thought as a kid) No something of a bygone era I should think. Can't remember the last time I saw one in someone's home.

Now everything must be hidden and locked away for fear of misuse or thievery. Too bad. Gun racks used to be a thing too.

_MG_7576.jpg

912doc-600x600.jpg

1462.9570.jpg

Apparently the Amish Still Make them

http://www.amishwoodworking.com/guncabinets.html

805498c71904a0b20375f67f24c1b997.jpg

Last edited:
I've been considering one for the Fudd guns. Or hanging them on the wall.

I kinda want to get a gun chest. Something similar to the wooden boxes you see guns transported in in movies and shit to store mine.

I don't own a house so I can't really invest in a safe but still want something I can lock a couple in.

I can find them at yard sales and auctions fairly readily now, and they go for next to nothing. As with all large furniture, the young homeowners aren't buying them and older guys already have one. I looked into one but I couldn't convince myself that it was smart to store my guns in an insecure and open place.

We had one growing up. I was just thinking about it a few weeks ago. Whenever we went to visit my grandparents, there was one at their house too.

Just out curiosity where and how do you store your guns in the US?

I keep most of my guns in a steel rifle safe, bolted to the wall in my basement. I also have my home defense handgun in an electronic speed safe bolted to the back of my night stand, and a magnet mount I have screwed high on a closet wall where I can store my ccw.

Just out curiosity where and how do you store your guns in the US?

In Texas? All over the place, One in the refrigerator, one in the bookcase, on the coffee table, in the closet, 5 in the garage, 3 in the bedroom. 4 in the car.

You ever seen Dogs of War with Christopher Walken? All New York Apartments are like that!

I got a big 21 gun safe last year. Barely fit in my downstairs closet in my condo(read apartment). Its not bolted to the floor but you could not get it out of there unless you brought special equipment to move it.

Those old gun cabinets are pretty cool for display in an office or the like. Just too bad you would need to put them away every day. I wonder if you could make a reinforced one with a poly instead of glass and reinforced doors and a lock that would still keep the look.

I got a big 21 gun safe last year. Barely fit in my downstairs closet in my condo(read apartment). Its not bolted to the floor but you could not get it out of there unless you brought special equipment to move it.

Those old gun cabinets are pretty cool for display in an office or the like. Just too bad you would need to put them away every day. I wonder if you could make a reinforced one with a poly instead of glass and reinforced doors and a lock that would still keep the look.

The cabinet would need a solid internal steel frame otherwise you could just saw/drill/hatchet/pry through the wood.

Yeah I think it would just be too bulky to do easily

Something like this could be awesome if done right. It would also be expensive. Steel subframe in wall, steel safe frame sitting in the wall, quality poly or whatever bullet proof glass windows(doors), solid lock & bolts that go into subframe, etc.

101410.285669.jpg

Couple metal safes bolted to the floor. At least for the shit that fits. :oops:

Word. Had my shit bolted to the floor in my basement too when I got it. I was surprised to find out from the delivery guys that alot of people don't bother to do it. But they're much easier to pry on from their backside so a lot of burglars will try and tip them if they can.

I wanted a 'Sturdy' safe or something along those lines (something with real plate steel for walls, not gauge steel) but delivering the one I wanted would have been a bitch do to the weight and so on, so I went with a 'Superior' instead. Decent safe for the price, but they can be broken into with a little know how so I put a lot of thought into positioning and so forth.

Word. Had my shit bolted to the floor in my basement too when I got it. I was surprised to find out from the delivery guys that alot of people don't bother to do it. But they're much easier to pry on from their backside so a lot of burglars will try and tip them if they can.

I wanted a 'Sturdy' safe or something along those lines (something with real plate steel for walls, not gauge steel) but delivering the one I wanted would have been a bitch do to the weight and so on, so I went with a 'Superior' instead. Decent safe for the price, but they can be broken into with a little know how so I put a lot of thought into positioning and so forth.

I think it's one of those things where a little vigilence goes a long way, but you're not gonna stop anyone with a bit of knowledge and determination. Most of my reading concluded that safes were more likely to protect you from fire rather than forced entry. So erring on the side of fire/temperature rating would be the way to go.

I think it's one of those things where a little vigilence goes a long way, but you're not gonna stop anyone with a bit of knowledge and determination. Most of my reading concluded that safes were more likely to protect you from fire rather than forced entry. So erring on the side of fire/temperature rating would be the way to go.

Agreed. I researched for over 2 years -and I have a heavy machining/engineering background on top of that. I basically came to the same conclusion. You're basically looking at fire protection, keeping a kid from accidentally doing something stupid with it, or discouraging crack heads who won't spend more than a glance on it because they just want to smash and grab.

Anyone else? They're going to get in -but those types of thieves usually case a place 1st and are after something specific that they know you have. And I'm not some wealthy bastard that's going to be on that type of thiefs watch list. Unless its for guitars or one of my rides lol. But that's a different ballgame altogether.

Something like this could be awesome if done right. It would also be expensive. Steel subframe in wall, steel safe frame sitting in the wall, quality poly or whatever bullet proof glass windows(doors), solid lock & bolts that go into subframe, etc.

101410.285669.jpg

<DCWhoa>

I’m interested in putting in some tactical wall enclosures and furniture around the house since I own it.
2EED10A0-01EA-4222-9709-9A3CD14ABCE0.jpeg 071A484B-B82A-412E-9A25-54497AE22859.jpeg

Back