Movies Serious Movie Discussion

I've been on an 80s sci fi/horror kick these last few days. Just watched Dreamscape for the first time - really enjoyed it! Some concepts similar to Inception, although not nearly as in depth.

I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend some lesser known sci fi/horror classics from the 80s. Keep in mind if it's really popular/well known I've probably seen it.

i loved dreamscape when i saw it as a kid.
u might like ENEMY MINE or MY SCIENCE PROJECT
no horror in em but from the same era and i liked them back then too

any recommendations?
The Draughtsman's Contract, A Zed & Two Noughts, Drowning by Numbers, the Baby of Macon, Nightwatching, Goltzius and the Pelican Company. Prospero's Books if you like Shakespeare, Eisenstein in Guanajuato if you like Sergei Eisenstein.

Believe it or not The Cook, etc. is probably his most accessible film. I've struggled to get into his early avant garde short films, they're about as esoteric as it gets.

Maze (2017)
TNGx7Sy.jpg

Noticed it was on Netflix. For anyone who doesn't know, it's about the '83 Maze prison escape; the largest in UK/Irish history, and largest in Europe since the second world war. Thought it was pretty solid, not spectacular but worked well as a tense prison thriller even regardless of the particulars. But of course the situation at the time does frame the whole thing, and in that sense it does a decent job too...it manages to create a bit of a grey area in terms of who is fighting for what, whether it's worth it etc. There is more of a focus in the personal dynamics of the individuals who have found themselves in the situation (so between the warders and the prisoners, and between the warders - one in particular - and, the prisoners families and relationships). Though that dynamic between the warders and republican prisoners doesn't extend to the loyalist prisoners, unfortunately they are fairly one dimensional.

Not nearly as good as Hunger (dealing with the hunger strikes), but not bad. I'd say it's worth a watch anyway.

Going to see 2001: A Space Odyssey re-release later tonight <{jackyeah}>

Yep, and it looked great. Two of the gals I was with hated every minute of it <45>

But it was incredible seeing it on the big screen.

Oh man. That’s awesome. Would love to see that one on the big screen.

Speaking of science fiction, tonight I watched:

Ikarie XB-1 (1963)
1ywLnOF.png

Pretty good! Not spectacular, but you have to allow for when it was released. It's set in 2163 and concerns a manned mission to Alpha Centauri in search of potential alien life. It's certainly very interesting, considering the year it came out, in that it clearly anticipates some of the more serious science fiction that was to come in the late 60s and 70s, obviously with 2001 looming large there. It's kind of a transitional film between the incredibly cheesy 50s style of science fiction - and there is a fair bit of that in terms of the design of the technology, among other things - and the more thoughtful films which would come later. It deals with philosophical themes, as well as the isolation/anxiety of space voyages and fear of the unknown. I'll not spoil it but overall there is a bit more of an optimistic view of space exploration than the utter mystery of 2001 and Solaris, or the pure terror of Alien, but you can clearly see where it influenced some of those later seminal films.

Kubrick is known to have screened it along with other sci-fi films during the filming of 2001, you can see a little bit of the influence in some of those corridor scenes like the one above. On the whole the spaceship is more 50s kitsch than Kubrick realism though, and there is also a focus on the relationships of the ships crew in a way that is more like a conventional drama. I assume Tarkovsky must also have seen it before making Solaris too, with it being a soviet-bloc film (of course it was almost a decade later). Certain aspects also reminded me of Alien (there is an encounter with an abandoned ship), and Sunshine (madness onboard a spaceship). All in all pretty interesting and worth a watch if you like thoughtful sci-fi.

Yall are movie people so fo you have a favorite movie? It's hard when you've seen so many but i think mine still is braveheart. Training day has been there before as well as others tho.

Game Night is fucking fantastic.Best Comedy i've watched this decade at least.
There isn't one even forgettable performance in this with Kyle Chandler, Rachel McAdams, Billy Magnussen and especially Jesse Plemons.

The surprising thing is the really exceptional cinematography that makes the Location look like a board game in establishing shots and has other really nice shots.

The Score by Cliff Martinez is tight.

The only knock on the movie is a slightly too ordinary Finale.

I can't believe this was directed by the same dudes who made the shittastic Vacation Reboot/Sequel.

There isn't one even forgettable performance in this with Kyle Chandler, Rachel McAdams, Billy Magnussen and especially Jesse Plemons.

The surprising thing is the really exceptional cinematography that makes the Location look like a board game in establishing shots and has other really nice shots.

I can't believe this was directed by the same dudes who made the shittastic Vacation Reboot/Sequel.

Agree on game night, saw it in theatres and it was great.

Yall are movie people so fo you have a favorite movie? It's hard when you've seen so many but i think mine still is braveheart. Training day has been there before as well as others tho.
Dr. Strangelove
Barry Lyndon
Late Spring
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover

those are up there for me

The Vacation reboot was awesome. You are the first person I’ve ever heard bash it

Watched The Bad and The Beautiful. Great movie with a real sleek wit and energy to the filmmaking. Perhaps Kirk Douglas best performance. Interesting way to make what is basically an anthology movie.
Amazing movie, and yes, IMO that's Douglas' best work. I've always thought Champion was a tremendous, underrated performance of his, and then of course there's Lust for Life, but The Bad and the Beautiful is on another level.
I suppose I should give The Bad And the Beautiful and The Champion a try. I have not been a huge fan of Kirk Douglas until recently after seeing Lonely Are the Brave and The Vikings and I've been thinking of what to watch next.

Btw, how about that brawl against the one armed man in Lonely Are the Brave? One of the best bar fight scenes ever.

Recently saw dr strangelove. Loved it. Have not seen any of the others.

As funny as Peter Sellers was, George C. Scott kind of stole the movie for me. When he is on the phone trying to defuse the situation with his mistress while all this far more important stuff is going down, that was spot on hilarious.

Hereditary was creepy as hell. If you're a horror fan, give it a view. It's one of those films that it's tough to shake after you see it. I thought I'd be good since I did that one in the early afternoon with movie pass and then followed it up with The Incredibles 2 at night, but didn't work out for me lol. Definitely the type of horror film that sticks with you.

It has very few jump scares and instead relies on slow burn eeriness. There is a sense of dread and doom throughout but then there are shocking moments that just jar you. And it's a testament to the craft of this first-time director that he basically relies both on the atmosphere that the technical people craft as well as the phenomenal performances of the actors to truly capture the brutality of some of the events that occur.

Collette has probably never been better. She's always been a quality actress. I think back to how authentic she was in The Sixth Sense. The same goes for this film where so much is asked from her on a visceral, emotional level and she delivers in every facet. Frankly, I would be surprised if she's not on the short list for Academy Awards nominations. It's early in the year, yet, but I'll be hardpressed to find a more striking lead actress performance in the second half of 2018.

Byrne is reliably good. While Collette is emotional and expressive, Byrne's character is far more subdued in his attempt to keep a calm, practical demeanor. The two young actors, Wolff and Millie Shapiro were very convincing. Wolff particularly amazingly conveys what is going on in his character's mind in one horrific, thoroughly unsettling and key scene.

The Incredibles 2 was a ton of fun. Pixar spoiled me a bit a few months back with Coco which I feel is easily one of their best (probably top 3 for me which is saying something). That film just packed such an emotional punch and delivered a message about family that stuck with me more than most live action dramas. The Incredibles 2 is more of just a fun blockbuster type, but it kept the great character work and had some awesome action to rival live action superhero films.

Definitely a worthy successor to the highly lauded first film. If you liked that one, definitely give the sequel a view.

As funny as Peter Sellers was, George C. Scott kind of stole the movie for me. When he is on the phone trying to defuse the situation with his mistress while all this far more important stuff is going down, that was spot on hilarious.

Completely agree he was the seller. Great movie though that hasn't aged. A lot of stuff that old i can't watch, not the case here you can watch that shit 50 years from now and it'd still land.

Going to see 2001: A Space Odyssey re-release later tonight <{jackyeah}>

Had you seen it screened on film before? A friend of mine and I saw it in 70mm in Chicago a little while back and I'm wondering if the re-release is substantially different. Granted, I'm a Blu-ray man myself, so I don't get hard at the thought of celluloid like a lot of movie geeks, but since it's Kubrick, I'm curious about shit I wouldn't normally care about.

I suppose I should give The Bad And the Beautiful and The Champion a try. I have not been a huge fan of Kirk Douglas until recently after seeing Lonely Are the Brave and The Vikings and I've been thinking of what to watch next.

As a HUGE fan of his, I have to ask: What had you seen of his before Lonely Are the Brave and The Vikings that contributed to your low(er) opinion?

In any event, if you're coming around on him, then yes, definitely check out Champion and The Bad and the Beautiful. I'd also recommend Gunfight at the OK Corral, Paths of Glory, Spartacus, and Seven Days in May. And then, a personal favorite of mine, both for the movie (the definition of a hidden gem with an absurdly amazing cast) and for Douglas' performance (his final film before his stroke), is Greedy :D

Btw, how about that brawl against the one armed man in Lonely Are the Brave? One of the best bar fight scenes ever.

Got nothing on Seagal, but yeah, it's a good one. That was Douglas' favorite of his own movies. Underrated film and performance.

Completely agree he was the seller.

Funny enough, he hated his performance in that film and was mortified when he realized that Kubrick used all of his goofiest and craziest takes (and was pissed because Kubrick had told him that those takes were just to loosen him up and set the tone). But Kubrick's vision was spot-on, as always, because Scott kills it in every scene.

Of the many great moments from that character, my favorite is the way he slaps his stomach when he's gameplanning on the phone:

A lot of stuff that old i can't watch

As a classic film fan, I have two questions for you:

1) Why not?

2) What have you tried to watch?

Back