Recent fights/results/news from Japan II

Tenshin could've won easily if he accepted that he wasn't going to knock him out no matter how hard he tried. Every time he jabbed and circled away from Rodtang's power side, Rodtang couldn't do much, same with the check right hook on the inside and then stepping away, he found the backdoor every time. His style isn't good to beat Thais, not in the way he approaches the fights, anyway. He's way too much invested in his power even if he has the skills not to need it.

His body work was basically non-existent here as well, he was totally headhunting. Not a great performance but it was enough.

I think it is a robbery, but not a disgusting robbery (like first Sittichai vs RvR or Kaew vs Noiri).
It is somewhere between a close decision like Romero vs Whittaker II and Kaew vs Noiri's title fight.

Like you guys have said, Tenshin came in with a good game plan (hit and run) but stupid mentality (I have not
knocked out top fighters for a long time, I want a KO!). He is more skilled than Rodtang, but he does not want
to disappoint the crowd. If there is a rematch, Tenshin is going to win a clear, but boring fight.

When I first watched Tenshin v Rodtung, I thought it was a robbery. But watching it again in more detail, I'm actually surprised how close the 4th and 5th rounds were. I think we can all agree that the first 2 rounds were Tenshin's and the 3rd round was Rodtung's, but I think you could make a decent case for Tenshin winning either of the last 2 rounds. He also did a lot better in the extra round than I remembered, maybe because in the moment, it just FELT like Tenshin was wilting. But on a second viewing, a lot of what I thought were Rodtung's hardest shots were landing on Tenshin's gloves or missing entirely.

This is one of those tough fights to judge though, because the two fighters were both effective but under two very different strategies. Rodtung was moving forward, pressuring, and landing devastating kicks and hooks to the body. While Tenshin was defending effectively, countering with huge shots and combos to the dome, and pivoting away. So much of how you see this fight will depend on how you weigh body shots vs head shots, constant pressure vs hard counters, etc.

I do still think Rodtung is the better fighter, but calling this is a robbery is unfair IMO, it was too close.
"Robbery" has come to mean "a decision I don't agree with" due to its' repeated misuse.

I don't see how you could give Tenshin the 5th. that was all Rodtung.
Only the 3rd was Rodtang's round where he was allowed to work without being countered regularly. Every other round he had to eat punches to give them, it was that round he was able to attack Tenshin's body with impunity.

Haven't seen the whole fight yet. Just saw a long highlight on facebook but looked like Rodtung won pretty clearly. A bit confused about the robbery talk especially with the fight being in Japan but I'll wait till I've seen the whole fight.

As for the fight itself it was really good. I like Rodtung but he needs to learn a bit more boxing defense if he's considering doing this a lot. He's got a good chin but if he gets hit like that against harder punchers he will get stopped.

I don't think there are harder punchers than Tenshin. He also fought a tank and hard puncher in Rotlek, who's naturally 10 pounds heavier. Less taunting maybe. :p

I don't think there are harder punchers than Tenshin. He also fought a tank and hard puncher in Rotlek, who's naturally 10 pounds heavier. Less taunting maybe. :p
Taunting apparently worked though. Tenshin got drawn into a brawl that exhausted his energy and greatly damaged his body.
Now that I think about it Rodtang is now signed to ONE contract, which means we probably will not see a rematch in Rizin. A pity Rodtang lost, his career would have benefited so much from the win.

I had Rodtang winning 3-5 and the extension round. Close fight though, and very entertaining. Havent seen any K-1 yet.

Just gotta wait till Rizin isn't around anymore in 2019 and One signs Tenshin. :p

Didn't see round 1, but I gave 2-5 to Rodthung + the extension that shouldn't have been. Takeru looked defeated and spent at some point -- I think it was round 4, when he received 5 or 6 straight kicks with no answer at all. Rodthung worked him over good with body punches as well.

Takeru wins via crowd roar.

Last edited:
Taunting apparently worked though. Tenshin got drawn into a brawl that exhausted his energy and greatly damaged his body.
Now that I think about it Rodtang is now signed to ONE contract, which means we probably will not see a rematch in Rizin. A pity Rodtang lost, his career would have benefited so much from the win.

I think the occasional firefights helped Tenshin. They were about even as far as I could tell, but the crowd was most in the fight during those instances and it's easy to perceive Tenshin winning in those moments. I didn't think it was particularly close when Rodthung walked him down with kicks and body punches.

Why an extension round for 5 round fights?

Even if subconscious, it forces the judges into a corner to try and find a winnner rather than going to another extension round (the enxtension was the closest to a 10-10 round in the fight). I don't care for it -- 3 or 5 rounds; it's a psychological fuck for judges and fighters. I mean, do you think Rodthung was even aware of the possibility of a 6th round?

Why an extension round for 5 round fights?

Even if subconscious, it forces the judges into a corner to try and find a winnner rather than going to another extension round (the enxtension was the closest to a 10-10 round in the fight). I don't care for it -- 3 or 5 rounds; it's a psychological fuck for judges and fighters. I mean, do you think Rodthung was even aware of the possibility of a 6th round?

Fight before that was also 6 rounds. I'm sure the contract he signed, had all the rules listed.

Just watched the whole K-1 event.
Good stuff
1. Amazing fights across the card
2. Gonnapar is awesome as always. Rukiya needs to improve defense or go up a weight class.
If he gets a title shot, I am taking him over Koya Urabe. Just don't match him with Wei Rui lol.
3. Crazy tournament with unpredictable result

Bad stuff
1. Terrible judge scorecards spread across the event. It is not obvious, because it is hidden in split/majority decision.
2. Kido vs Glunder is one of the worst reffed fights I have ever seen. Referee is clearly biased toward Kido, disqualifying Glunder for holding? The reason he is holding in the first place is because you refuse to deduct a point from Kido for clinching and kneeing. If the role is reversed, the ref would allow Kido to hold on all day.
I love how the commentators straight up ignored Kido's illegal techniques in the replay (knee in the clinch) and kept on praising him for clearly winning the third round.
The double standard is my biggest complaint about K-1. The judges and referees always favor Japanese fighters >>> foreign fighters affiliated with K-1 (Kaew/Gonnapar/Minoru) >>>> foreign fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see round 1, but I gave 2-5 to Rodthung + the extension that shouldn't have been. Takeru looked defeated and spent at some point -- I think it was round 4, when he received 5 or 6 straight kicks with no answer at all. Rodthung worked him over good with body punches as well.

Takeru wins via crowd roar.
Who do you consider the best nak muay at 126? Iv fallen behind on that division a lot. It seems like a lot of its stars from last year are either retired or moved up to 130+

re: rodtang vs. nasukawa

rounds 1, 2 - tenshin
rounds 3, 5 - rodtang
round 4 could've gone either way but i felt like rodtang maintained his pace/pressure...and the body language of tenshin in his corner showed that he was being worn down.

extra round i gave to rodtang

Rd 1: Rodtung leg kicks and big body kick at end of round. Tenshin landed a jumping knee, some jabs and a sweep.
10-10 Draw
Rd 2: Rodtung moving forward but Tenshin landing more especially in the first half of the round.
10-9 Tenshin
Rd 3: Rodtung aggressive and showcasing his iron chin although that doesn't score well. Tenshin firing off crosses after mid kick blocks.
10-9 Tenshin
Rd 4: Rodtung lands some vicious body kicks, Tenshin not responding as well but had some good moments.
9-10 Rodtung
Rd 5: Rodtung brings the carnage. Tenshin manages to not get rocked but clear round here.
9-10 Rodtung

DRAW <— I'm good with the extension

Rd Ex: Similar to round 5 but Tenshin looking more fatigued. He turns it on in the last minute but not enough to make up for Rodtung's work.

Winner Rodtung <— They got it wrong

RISE asked ONE FC if they can bring back Rodtung for their November show, and Chatri gave his go. Not sure if Tenshin is on board, because of his RIZIN plans. Tenshin also said he wants a rematch.

Last edited:
Back