Wonderboy wants oblique kicks banned - blames them for MCL Tear

Nope. Absolutely not. Learn to defend against the strike, or suffer the consequences. Literally, just about any strike you could possibly throw in a fight has the potential to cause serious injury.

Broken ribs, ruptured spleen, fractured orbitals, etc. It comes with the territory.

While we're on the subject, get rid of that ridiculous ban on 12-6 elbows.

In a sport setting is a piece of shit thing to do. Beat up your opponent, but no need to cripple him.

Whittaker spammed oblique kicks on Yoel but only managed to hurt his own foot.

I say keep them.

Yeah...Why stop there, Lets ban Leglocks as well. Better yet, let's just ban all leg kicks and attacks to the legs

Nope. Absolutely not. Learn to defend against the strike, or suffer the consequences. Literally, just about any strike you could possibly throw in a fight has the potential to cause serious injury.

Broken ribs, ruptured spleen, fractured orbitals, etc. It comes with the territory.

While we're on the subject, get rid of that ridiculous ban on 12-6 elbows.
And allow knees to a downed opponent.

F*k WB it's part of fighting get more fight game and deal with them or throw your own, just stop whining and people hate on Woodley for whining...

It is a tough situation. Especially for Wonderboy. He is the king of the art of kicks and all his shots are clean for the most part. He could easily do this if he was a asshole like Till , Jones and 90% of WinkJohns team.

If Stephen thompson chose to. He could be a asshole to. With ease he could bust up the divisions knee's. He has to much respect though to do that I think. Others have no qualms.

Highly doubt they will get banned. In the meantime all fighters can really do about it is fight fire with fire. For every Oblique kick your opponent throws , Throw your own. Or learn to avoid it. Or straight up kick the guy in the balls after every Oblique. He will learn fast probably before you get any points deducted that he should probably stop trying to mangle your knee if he cherishes his jewels.

In the end though Wonderboy is no saint. His highlight real consists of him throwing insane spinning shit with the sole intention of his heal breaking your face. Knee injuries suck but so do broken jaws, fractured skulls and orbitals. You are entering in the cage with someone who wants to physically harm you. Can never forget that.

If they ban this then where does it stop? They gonna start banning flying knees and shit to so we don't get another face mashed in like that Cyborg dude ate from MVP? It really sucks for him but its the name of the game. Wonderboy and the rest all know the worst case scenario's in the fight business. They are not pretty scenario's either. Busted knee is a bad one. Brain damage and Death is probably the worst.

Compare the amount (and severity) of knee injuries to those kicks to any other strike in MMA.

Oblique kicks are foul, ill intentioned, techniques that can ruin someone's career or at the very least take them out of commission for very long stretches of time.

And before anyone quotes me about any strike being dangerous, no other strike takes you out for this long. You can turn around from a KO in a short as 2 months. Broken ribs will take you out for maybe 3 months. Knee injuries can take you out for years.

You can lessen knee injuries by banning oblique kicks. This lets you fighters spend more time in the cage then they do in the hospital. It also keeps they in peak condition, as knee injuries can permanently effect a fighters ability in the cage.

impact damage isnt the same as a knee hyperextension

i'd rather have all my brain cells and a jacked knee than walking around like a 70 alzheimer's patient when i'm in my 40's shitting in a diaper with 2 good knees.

I agree. I hate them.

I always thought if any mma fighter who is good with oblique kicks had to get in a street fight for whatever reason...
they could easily end a fight with one oblique kick. Wouldnt even have to throw punches

Never liked those kicks. Fuck the guys who throw them as well as the ones defending the guys that throw them...
2dran2o.gif

I agree with Wonderboy. It just seems like a cheap move, like a headbutt or a strike to the throat. It can be fight ending and do bad things. It’s not like a kneebar, where you have the decision to tap - this instantaneously damages ligaments....

Rampage is going to kill Jon Jones... His words. Dude can't even practice wrestling anymore... but not sure if he even trains anymore...
Let's not forget to take into account how insanely lazy Rampage is and was before that fight.
Rampage has always sucked at blocking any sort of leg kick.

impact damage isnt the same as a knee hyperextension

It's fighting

We need to allow more techniques
Not ban more

I'm kinda split on the subject. I see both sides of the argument, with heel hooks and ankle locks you have a chance to tap before serious damage can occur. While oblique kicks you can damage a knee with a well placed strike, although the chances of it happening are quite small and I can't really remember when a fighter has gotten a knee ligament torn from it.

Generally I'm for more techniques though.

i'd rather have all my brain cells and a jacked knee than walking around like a 70 alzheimer's patient when i'm in my 40's shitting in a diaper with 2 good knees.
I wasnt just specifying a headkick.... but even with that example you wouldnt say that at the time. A blown ACL is far more painful than any headkick, not to mention the surgery and rehab required

Back