Stance problem

Kubas

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello, im doing Muay thai for almost 6 months and i really like it. But I still have a problem with stance. Im right handed but my main leg is left. I have my left leg a lot faster and powerfull then right. My trainer said that I should have left hand in front with left leg in front too. I respect him, but i dont feel really comfortable with have my right leg as main kicking leg. Should i listen to him and just get used to it? :)

Try the south paw stance and see if you like it

this stance is great, but is it okey even if im not left handed? i readed that its for lefthanded.

It's not uncommon for right handers in thailand to switch to south paw
this stance is great, but is it okey even if im not left handed? i readed that its for lefthanded.

Hello, im doing Muay thai for almost 6 months and i really like it. But I still have a problem with stance. Im right handed but my main leg is left. I have my left leg a lot faster and powerfull then right. My trainer said that I should have left hand in front with left leg in front too. I respect him, but i dont feel really comfortable with have my right leg as main kicking leg. Should i listen to him and just get used to it? :)

importand is what u feel, dont focus on one coach to much, importand is your own experience. u can try and train both for example and see what happends.

You can also use orthodox stance and still use the switch kick as your main kick.

Consider that some coaches won't bother wasting time with a southpaw if they only want to do fitness training.

I would suggest training both stances.

If you have a heavy switch kick its a huge advantage. I would say keep doing orthodox and practice your right hand - switch kick combinations

I had the same but opposite issue. Left handed and right footed. My trainer said that kicking is everything in Muay Thai so the leg dictates the stance. So I fight regular stance and it feels completely natural now but I’m kinda annoyed I gave up the natural advantage of having a southpaw stance, especially when I’m just boxing.

Back