Swimming for S and C?

AminoAcid

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Thinking of including it into my lifestyle at least once per week.

Good for mixed martial artists? Yay or nay?

i dont like the people who post in the strenght and conditioning section but i have to do a event which involves swimming ...once i am finished if i pass which i probably wont ( pass).. after that, i am probably not going to post here .. but i am nervous as hell ( about the event) .. i am trying to motivate myself .. okay getting back to the thread , swimming is good but not the greatest for cardio .. i think you should join yoga instead only if you are single.. if you are not single and married or just in a relationship then i think swimming is ideal for you .. swimming is good for loosening the muscle but not great for cardio and weight loss

Demo -- what's your swimming event?
(if you're technically proficient, swimming is excellent for CV fitness. but you probably have got to be one to be that proficient. for landlubbers, agreed - it's probably not the best)

Amino -- am not sure how good swimming would be, particularly in such low volume. to get a good workout, one needs a degree of technical proficiency really to get that great workout. I'd say there are other, better options

It is good for mma, just be careful how your swimming, make sure no pool water gets into your mouth, I use to swim 25 laps every other day and then train muay thai or boxing in the afternoon. Back when I was training it would help out a lot with conditioning especially when you do biking also.

Yay of course. It improves greatly the shoulder conditioning. Which relates to less tired hands and dropping them down.

Also of.course helps with cardio well. Not heavy on joints. So go for it.

One of the best cardio anaerobic exercises you can do. Plus its very very good for the joints.
In terms of conditioning, I still think sprints/running is the best....but swimming is very effective as well.

2 laps in under 35 seconds for beach
rest for 3 minutes then
40 seconds for pool
8 laps in under 3;30
@Wikinger

will running help me swim faster ?; will pushups ;? how about paddling on the surfboard? how about situps ? i would go to the pool but during the summer its easier to take a piss in public on the street of NYC than it is to get a lane at the regulation sized pool ..i can get a lane but its a smaller pool at a smaller gym .. not regulation size so i do freestyle then back stroke freesytle and then back stroke so i dont hurt my back being that its a shallow lane on the way back .. i heard that incline pushups are good for swiming fast but the smaller pool is not crowded

Last edited:
One of the best cardio anaerobic exercises you can do. Plus its very very good for the joints.
In terms of conditioning, I still think sprints/running is the best....but swimming is very effective as well.
only if you can get your own lane .. if you are constantly rumbling around with someone in order to avoid a swimming- collision . all you are pretty much going to do is lubricate the muscles and the joints that is about it but you dont lose many calories .. so no, and the ocean is not great either unless you go past the waves into wear there is no waves which is kind of dangerous.. but a lake or a pond is excellent place to swim
also, where do you plan on sprinting?

Demo -- what's your swimming event?
(if you're technically proficient, swimming is excellent for CV fitness. but you probably have got to be one to be that proficient. for landlubbers, agreed - it's probably not the best)

Amino -- am not sure how good swimming would be, particularly in such low volume. to get a good workout, one needs a degree of technical proficiency really to get that great workout. I'd say there are other, better options
no you have to be a proficient swimmer and have free space to swim and a stale environment you cant be mediocre swimmer which kind of means that you suck and you cant just do a couple of laps .. cross training for swimming is not very precise

As others have said its great and lighter on the joints

Its also fun as well

I go a few (2) times a week, I try to swim 3500m or 2 nautical miles within an hour. It’s ok, boring but ok. I’m recovering. From a severe injury so it’s a good way to get some endurance work.

I go a few (2) times a week, I try to swim 3500m or 2 nautical miles within an hour. It’s ok, boring but ok. I’m recovering. From a severe injury so it’s a good way to get some endurance work.
will it slow down my swimming if i bulk up with just doing pushups ? or i should lay off the weights and upper body calisthenics entirely ? just cardio i just hate swimming i have a surfboard and i live one block from the beach not even a block

will it slow down my swimming if i bulk up with just doing pushups ? or i should lay off the weights and upper body calisthenics entirely ? just cardio i just hate swimming i have a surfboard and i live one block from the beach not even a block

If you hate swimming and are just doing it for cardio, why worry if your strength training will slow you down?

so i can work for the summer

Well then if you want to approach it as a sport, sure. Cut that strength training down to 2x a week, s I’m 5-6x a week and structure your workouts from sprints to long steady swims and everyninf in between.

If you’re trying to mifeguard, they will probably expect you to already be a good swimmer before even talking to you.

so i can work for the summer

Really though, send me a private message and I can better help you. If you are swimming for a job then give me more details and I can help you sort it all out. Sent me a private message though.

Why is that?
It isn't a death setence for fighting ability, but it mimics fighting conditions extremelly poorly, and that's the least of your worries when it comes to swimming. It takes up a lot of calories, especially if the water is cold(it burns fat really well bc of this). The worst thing is, it trains your neuromuscular system to move slowly and with little resistance; basically slow twitch muscles all the way, which isn't something you're looking for if you're a fighter. Also, a really famous Judo and TKD trainer in my country told me the slow, low resistance movements while swimming dull your reflexes, but who knows. If you are really keen on swimming for SnC, there's is a way-how I would go about it, but you kinda have to be an advanced swimmer, at least technique wise. Basically, you swim one length of the pool(or a distance you determine) in butterfly in explosive passion, then you swim back to your starting position in relaxed backstroke. Do it in backstroke to relax between butterfly sets; since it's basically the most passive stroke and when you swim on your back you take the water pressure off your chest/lungs. Structure it like a HIIT workout(eg. 5-10 sets of explosive butterfly, 5-10 sets of active rest in the form of relaxed backstroke). Also, make sure to hydrate properly; a lot of first time swimmers forget to drink water and then become surprised when a dull headache appears.

PS Nothing can replace roadwork, as we clearly saw with conor

Back