Do you still recommend starting strength?

Is there a sustitute for the explosion part ?
Here in most gyms they won´t let me do cleans and snatches.

There is no substitute, you only go power snatches if you can't physically rack the bar due to long fore arms.

If your gym lets you deadlift, then they should let you power clean.

Find another gym or do try to discretely do them while nobody is looking.

People in fitness settings do dumbell cleans all the time. If they have a barbell in that gym, then they should expect people to make noise with it.

Thank´s I believe the same, guess I´ll start with texas method if I don´t go for boxing.

Texas Method is an intermediate program. Its not meant for novice lifters. Starting Strength really is the best thing for someone starting off.

Last edited:
There is no substitute, you only go power snatches if you can't physically rack the bar due to long fore arms.

If your gym lets you deadlift, then they should let you power clean.

Find another gym or do try to discretely do them while nobody is looking.

People in fitness settings do dumbell cleans all the time. If they have a barbell in that gym, then they should expect people to make noise with it.

Texas Method is an intermediate program. Its not meant for novice lifters. Starting Strength really is the best thing for someone starting off.
As I said in other threads in the US and other developed and/or big countries you have that situation, here some gyms are way too aesthetic focus and any big lift is kind of look down.

Power clean is the one from the knees right ?
I did olympic lift for over a year and a some power lifting for a few months but I have no ego problems, I ´ll read about the other program Starting Strength , the problem is what I said before.

I didn't like it, but 5/3/1 increased all of my lifts. I would recommend it. As for SS, isn't the new programming based off RPE now? I could be wrong.

Not most novice progressions. But introducing either RPE, Back-off sets, or AMRAP sets in late novice early intermediate is pretty common.

As I said in other threads in the US and other developed and/or big countries you have that situation, here some gyms are way too aesthetic focus and any big lift is kind of look down.

Power clean is the one from the knees right ?
I did olympic lift for over a year and a some power lifting for a few months but I have no ego problems, I ´ll read about the other program Starting Strength , the problem is what I said before.

You begin the bar on the floor, grab the the bar and jump, without using your arms except for gripping. Rack the bar on the front delts. It takes some practice, I am just recently getting it down pretty good.

You begin the bar on the floor, grab the the bar and jump, without using your arms except for gripping. Rack the bar on the front delts. It takes some practice, I am just recently getting it down pretty good.

Standing clean we call it here, I like it more than the regular clean because I am not very good going under but sadly most gyms here won´t let me do it and in both Starting Strength and 5/3/1 this excercise appears.

Been a while since I've done any lifting and going to get back into it.

Had some success with starting strength years ago and am wondering if you all still recommend it or is there something better?

If SS is still the favourite any tips or links on working out what weights I should start with for each lift?

Thanks.

If you're still interested I've just finished my novice linear progression, which took 6 months due to boxing twice and only lifting once a week. I had never lifted regularly before.

I modified SS to suit my needs and just got on with it. I didn't eat 7000 calories and loads of protein, just had a steak and extra eggs and milk for 48 hours after training.

So I did not by any means follow the SS program properly. Of course, I got stronger, but not as much as I could have at the expense of my boxing. I'm 5'9 and 32 btw.

I hope this motivates beginners who are hesitating about programming when they should just get on with it.

Jan 2018 at 72kg
Deadlift 40kg 1x5
Squat 30kg 3x5
Press 20kg 3x5
Chins bw x 2

June 2018 at 69kgs
Deadlift 100kg 1x5
Squat 70kg 3x5
Press 40kg 3x5
Chins bw x 6

As for results, the main thing is I developed a muscular back. My traps are now visible and my rear shoulders are much thicker. My leg muscles are a bit more defined too.

Back