Why am I so weak

P

Pugilistic

I've been lifting weights and "working out" in general for a long time now. I spent many years boxing along with a few years competing professionally. I did compound lifts to supplement my boxing training but now after retiring from boxing, I am focused almost entirely on lifting. But considering my age, size, and how much I've been working out, I feel like I am incredibly weak.

I tested myself this week and got :
115kg Squat
140kg Deadlift
105kg Bench
70kg Overhead Press

I'm 5'5 (resident sherdog manlet) and now fluctuate around 71-72kg (156-158lbs). Some people around me are impressed but I know that's nothing when I see that there are women out there who are smaller than me but can Deadlift much more than me.

I was on starting strength for a long time then a little more than two months ago I moved to a new gym and did one cycle of 5/3/1. I increased 5kg on all my lifts (except for the overhead press) but I felt like 5/3/1 didn't have enough volume so I made up my own program which is basically 5/3/1 but doing all the lifts twice a week and at a lower intensity the second time. Then I increased 5kg on my bench and overhead press, added 10kg to my squat, and got no progress on my deadlift (140 felt much easier than last time but just could not hit 145).

I'm a beginner when it comes to powerlifting movements but I feel like my progress is very slow. I know the answer is to just keep training, but I wonder if I am doing something wrong and if there is a program that is better for me.

I've been lifting weights and "working out" in general for a long time now. I spent many years boxing along with a few years competing professionally. I did compound lifts to supplement my boxing training but now after retiring from boxing, I am focused almost entirely on lifting. But considering my age, size, and how much I've been working out, I feel like I am incredibly weak.

115kg Squat
140kg Deadlift
105kg Bench
70kg Overhead Press

I'm 5'5 (resident sherdog manlet) and now fluctuate around 71-72kg (156-158lbs). Some people around me are impressed but I know that's nothing when I see that there are women out there who are smaller than me but can Deadlift much more than me.

I was on starting strength for a long time then a little more than two months ago I moved to a new gym and did one cycle of 5/3/1. I increased 5kg on all my lifts (except for the overhead press) but I felt like 5/3/1 didn't have enough volume so I made up my own program which is basically 5/3/1 but doing all the lifts twice a week and at a lower intensity the second time. Then I increased 5kg on my bench and overhead press, added 10kg to my squat, and got no progress on my deadlift (140 felt much easier than last time but just could not hit 145).

I'm a beginner when it comes to powerlifting movements but I feel like my progress is very slow. I know the answer is to just keep training, but I wonder if I am doing something wrong and if there is a program that is better for me.
The_b6281d_6642418.jpg

NO one is great in all the lifts , you don´t seem weak and I am sure it did help you with boxing.

It's not terrible for your weight really. Your bench and OHP are pretty decent.

1,6xBW Squat
2xBW DL
1,4xBW Bench
0,9xBW Strict OHP

All reasonable for a combat athlete in striking sports. It takes time and consistency improving from that point and obviously if you want to only focus on lifting then I understand why you would want to get more out of your training.

If you are still improving with whatever program you are doing, then you are improving. If you are stuck then try to change things around. More volume, pauses, variations of the lifts and practicing form might help with sticking points. If you are overworked then sometimes you need to dial it down.

Also don't compare yourself to others. They might have affinity for it, they put in more time, they take roids, they have different genetics, different leverages and so on. That doesn't mean you can't improve, but don't let it get you down. Just focus on the way YOU can improve YOURSELF and stay consistent. It's a marathon, not a sprint. If it's something you want to do, keep it up!

It's not terrible for your weight really. Your bench and OHP are pretty decent.

1,6xBW Squat
2xBW DL
1,4xBW Bench
0,9xBW Strict OHP

All reasonable for a combat athlete in striking sports. It takes time and consistency improving from that point and obviously if you want to only focus on lifting then I understand why you would want to get more out of your training.

If you are still improving with whatever program you are doing, then you are improving. If you are stuck then try to change things around. More volume, pauses, variations of the lifts and practicing form might help with sticking points. If you are overworked then sometimes you need to dial it down.

Also don't compare yourself to others. They might have affinity for it, they put in more time, they take roids, they have different genetics, different leverages and so on. That doesn't mean you can't improve, but don't let it get you down. Just focus on the way YOU can improve YOURSELF and stay consistent. It's a marathon, not a sprint. If it's something you want to do, keep it up!

It's kind of weird how weak my lower body is compared to my upper body. Must be genetics or something. Some of my friends have a bigger squat than me but a weaker bench.
But yeah, I know the answer is to keep training. I guess I just have to play around with different programs to see what works the best. Going to try madcow 5x5 next month. I need to stop watching worldclass powerlifters because they make me feel so weak. I feel pathetic when I see a 52kg woman deadlift 50kg more than me.

Yeah deadlift seems not so good but I wish a squat like that with my 1,78. Guess longs legs don´t help for that, anyway I am going to search about Mad Cow.

quote-number-one-like-yourself-number-two-you-have-to-eat-healthy-and-number-three-you-ve-richard-simmons-27-22-37.jpg

@Pugilistic
a couple things.
1. if you feel your squats and dead are seriously lacking there may be a technical flaw in your lift. Do you have access to a coach or somebody who's opinion you respect to help you?
2. also if you are not feeling satisfied with your program i wouldn't recommend flip flopping because that is a great way to stop progressing quickly. but maybe try a intermedite program with higher volume like Madcow which will also have you squatting every time you lift with volume.

those are also some nice lifts good work mane

How often are you squatting?

Most recently, I was doing everything twice as week. But I am going to try madcow. I enjoy squatting so I think I'll like it.

@Pugilistic
a couple things.
1. if you feel your squats and dead are seriously lacking there may be a technical flaw in your lift. Do you have access to a coach or somebody who's opinion you respect to help you?
2. also if you are not feeling satisfied with your program i wouldn't recommend flip flopping because that is a great way to stop progressing quickly. but maybe try a intermedite program with higher volume like Madcow which will also have you squatting every time you lift with volume.

those are also some nice lifts good work mane

Unfortunately I don't have a coach and there isn't a powerlifting gym near me. The PTs at my current gym don't seem to know much better either. I've filmed myself and I think my squat technique looks okay (and it feels good) although my deadlift looks kind of shitty. I do agree. With like the deadlift, I felt like I wasn't efficient with my pull and strength alone wasn't the issue.
I will do Madcow, but from the looks of it it's not a sustainable program long-term. I'll stick with it as long as I make progress but is there any other program with the same amount of frequency? I liked 5/3/1 minus the lack of volume and frequency. I think I'm too much of a beginner to be doing the lifts only once a week.

115kg Squat
140kg Deadlift
105kg Bench
70kg Overhead Press

This is what I was saying in the other thread

I bet when people actually try out what they can lift they will be surprised and the number isn't as high as they think

By actual strength standards youre mainly a novice in those lifts, yet you have been lifting a long time

I also have been lifting a long time, and am weaker than you ha

I feel overall your lifts are perfectly satisfactory, its a good level of strength combined with your skill of boxing

With madcow you should start light and then keep to the cycle that will go a long way towards preserving you through the cycles. I like to start with a 5 rep that is pretty easy or if you fare using the spreadsheets put in a 5 rep max that is 5-10lbs under what you feel would be the five rep max.
Also don’t skip on the accessory work. It really helps round everything out. And like somebody else said make sure to eat more. That should help preserve you through a 9 to 12 week program.

I bet when people actually try out what they can lift they will be surprised and the number isn't as high as they think

By actual strength standards youre mainly a novice in those lifts, yet you have been lifting a long time

I feel overall your lifts are perfectly satisfactory, its a good level of strength combined with your skill of boxing

I'm thinking it might be a programming issue though. When I was doing 5x5, I would make progress then have to put lifting on the back burner because I had a fight coming up, then after the fight, I would go back to lifting but I'd be weaker from the weeks of not lifting and cutting weight. I've only been really focusing on powerlifting style training for about 3 months now. So I'm a total noob. Still, if I allow myself to be a bit arrogant, I do feel I am physically superior to the average guy I see, which probably speaks more to the utter lack of athleticism of the average modern male than my ability.

With madcow you should start light and then keep to the cycle that will go a long way towards preserving you through the cycles. I like to start with a 5 rep that is pretty easy or if you fare using the spreadsheets put in a 5 rep max that is 5-10lbs under what you feel would be the five rep max.
Also don’t skip on the accessory work. It really helps round everything out. And like somebody else said make sure to eat more. That should help preserve you through a 9 to 12 week program.

I need some clarification on eating more. I feel I'm eating enough. I'm eating fairly "normally" and maintaining my current weight. Surely you can't be suggesting I have to be heavier to be stronger although I realize that helps.

This is wrong.

According to strength standards, his OHP is actually advanced whilst his bench, DL, and Squat are all intermediate level for his BW. 8 more KG for his bench and he is advanced. So your upper body lifts are actually way better than your lower body.

Some of yall may wanna use this to see where youre at. http://www.strengthstandards.co

I have an advanced deadlift and OHP but everything else is garbage. My deadlift and ohp are my best lifts, because theyre probably my favorite. Im definitely gonna shore up on my bench and squat and get them to advanced aswell by the years end.

You may wanna do a PHUL type program, where there are heavy upper and lower body days working in 80-90% range for lower rep ranges and then a more volume upper and lower body days where you work between 70-80% rep ranges with more reps for hypertrophy. You get stronger but also build a good amount of muscle,

Still, if I allow myself to be a bit arrogant, I do feel I am physically superior to the average guy I see, which probably speaks more to the utter lack of athleticism of the average modern male than my ability.
Dont confuse lifting ability for athleticism, many dudes whove never touched a single weight, are extremely fast, agile, and have better cardio than a majority of those who weight lift. I know 95% of the population is sedentary and literally have no athleticism but especially in countries like America etc, theres way more non lifting/training kids who are freaks. Its the damn food they eat I tell ya.

Dont confuse lifting ability for athleticism, many dudes whove never touched a single weight, are extremely fast, agile, and have better cardio than a majority of those who weight lift. I know 95% of the population is sedentary and literally have no athleticism but especially in countries like America etc, theres way more non lifting/training kids who are freaks. Its the damn food they eat I tell ya.

Well I was talking about the people I see in my gyms (both my boxing gym and gym where I lift). I can see most dudes are fairly weak with terrible cardio. But you're right. There are a couple teenagers in my boxing gym whom my trainer works to death everyday and I'm sure they can beat the shit out of me even though I can lift way more than them. But the average guy...

I'll look into the PHUL program. Thanks for that.

I need some clarification on eating more. I feel I'm eating enough. I'm eating fairly "normally" and maintaining my current weight. Surely you can't be suggesting I have to be heavier to be stronger although I realize that helps.
i am not suggesting that.

what i am saying is during a heavy high volume training cycle like madcap that has you adding weight every week especially when the weights start getting heavier a surplus will help your body keep going and be able to hang with the program. Actually Bill star talks about how during these cycles you should eat in excess of what your regular caloric intake is, and then during the reload phase you return to a normal diet. its not as simple as just get bigger lift bigger because you don't need to be a big dude to lift heavy.

i am not suggesting that.

what i am saying is during a heavy high volume training cycle like madcap that has you adding weight every week especially when the weights start getting heavier a surplus will help your body keep going and be able to hang with the program. Actually Bill star talks about how during these cycles you should eat in excess of what your regular caloric intake is, and then during the reload phase you return to a normal diet. its not as simple as just get bigger lift bigger because you don't need to be a big dude to lift heavy.

Okay that makes more sense. because I was like then how are these 52kg women lifting so much weight. I need to look more into the nutrition side of things

I'm starting to be a proponent of sub maximal training, so never sore and more volume over time.

Also training each lift as an accessory on other main lift days, at lower weight higher volume.

Can't stress working out the right accessory lifts also. Shit makes a life or death difference. Oh and plus one for the calorific surplus.

Back