4. Tennis - no
  5. Volleyball - no
  6. Table tennis - no
  7. Basketball - yes
  8. Baseball - no
  9. Rugby - no
  10. Golf - yes

USA is a non-entity in a lot of the world's most popular sports
So, you typed that into google and used the “popular on the web” results as your ranking order as if that is an actual numbered source?

Also, US doesnt dominate in Baseball....?

Volleyball? Who has the most Olympic golds again?

Sure seems like the States dominate a very significant portion of your list lol.

Yeah, I dont understand why so many Americans have that perception. I'm from the UK and it has always looked to me like America does its own thing in sports for the most part, and generally have minimal involvement in most of the sports that are popular here. They do well in the Olympics but thats just a given since its a first world country of 300+ million people fielding a large team.
Its amazing how we always find an excuse for the dominance lol.

USA is the only country in the world that doesn't really like football. It's weird.
It is growing in popularity -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/filipb...-third-favorite-spectator-sport/#2ff578d33c53

Soccer Will Soon Be America's Third-Favorite Spectator Sport

A Gallup poll released last week found that 7% of Americans named soccer as their favorite sport to watch in a survey completed during December. While that may not sound like much, the figure represents a significant, three-percentage-point gain from just four years ago. Soccer is the only sport to post such a large increase. Football (37%, down from 39%), basketball (11%, down from 12%) and baseball (9%, down from 13%) all showed declining numbers. Hockey was at 4%, up from 3%.

The arrows are clearly pointing in definitive directions, and it is very likely that soccer will surpass baseball in this survey the next time such a poll is taken. Even more telling are the demographics behind those numbers: Only 1% of those polled by Gallup aged 55 or over named soccer as their favorite. But among adults aged 18-34, soccer was the favorite sport of 11%, tying basketball; only 6% of younger adults chose baseball as their favorite sport. Self-defined liberals also showed a greater preference for soccer. Among that political group, the gap between football and soccer was just 15 points.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/filipb...-third-favorite-spectator-sport/#2ff578d33c53

A Gallup poll released last week found that 7% of Americans named soccer as their favorite sport to watch in a survey completed during December. While that may not sound like much, the figure represents a significant, three-percentage-point gain from just four years ago. Soccer is the only sport to post such a large increase. Football (37%, down from 39%), basketball (11%, down from 12%) and baseball (9%, down from 13%) all showed declining numbers. Hockey was at 4%, up from 3%.

The arrows are clearly pointing in definitive directions, and it is very likely that soccer will surpass baseball in this survey the next time such a poll is taken. Even more telling are the demographics behind those numbers: Only 1% of those polled by Gallup aged 55 or over named soccer as their favorite. But among adults aged 18-34, soccer was the favorite sport of 11%, tying basketball; only 6% of younger adults chose baseball as their favorite sport. Self-defined liberals also showed a greater preference for soccer. Among that political group, the gap between football and soccer was just 15 points.
Another thing Soccer has the biggest advantage as after it was invented came a period when loads of other different Contact Football rules where developed but take off the way that Soccer did as just check out the histories of Rugby Union, Rugby League, American Football, Canadian Football, Australian Football and Gaelic Football and thats way too many types of Football code compered to Soccer.

No doubt it’s growing but that poll seems a bit misleading, if it only goes off of favorite sport. Plenty of people like multiple sports, even if it’s not their “favorite”. I’m sure a lot of that % of football follows basketball and baseball too but not soccer

So, you typed that into google and used the “popular on the web” results as your ranking order as if that is an actual numbered source?

Also, US doesnt dominate in Baseball....?

Volleyball? Who has the most Olympic golds again?

Sure seems like the States dominate a very significant portion of your list lol.

Yea I typed it into Google, obviously. If you want to disagree feel free to post a source.

USA does not dominate in baseball or volleyball.

Baseball world cup (1938-2011)
Gold medals for Cuba: 23
Gold medals for USA: 4

World baseball classic (2013 - )
Japan: 2 victories
Dominican republic: 1 victory
USA: 1 victory

Olympic games baseball:
Gold medals for Cuba: 3
Gold medals for South Korea: 1
Gold medals for USA: 1

VOLLEYBALL at the Olympics:

Soviet Union: 7 golds
Brasil: 5 golds
Japan: 3 golds
China: 3 golds
Cuba: 3 golds
USA: 3 golds

Are you trolling or what?

Yea I typed it into Google, obviously. If you want to disagree feel free to post a source.

USA does not dominate in baseball or volleyball.

Olympic games baseball:

VOLLEYBALL at the Olympics:

Soviet Union: 7 golds
Brasil: 5 golds
Japan: 3 golds
China: 3
Cuba: 3 golds
USA: 3 golds

Are you trolling or what?
Youre good at picking and choosing bits to suit your argument.

So, even with your lists you still have them right at the top? Gotcha.

From Wikipedia on American stereotypes:

Americans may be stereotyped as ignorant of all countries and cultures beyond their own. This stereotype shows them as lacking intellectual curiosity, thus making them ignorant of other cultures, places, or lifestyles outside of their own.
Americans may be seen as arrogant people. They are frequently depicted in foreign media as obsessively nationalistic and obnoxiously patriotic, referring to the U.S. as "the greatest country in the world" and patronising people from other countries.

^ I think the evidence of these stereotypes being largely true is there for all to see, and sherdog forums being no exception.

Not trying to slam them too much or call them Americans stupid but even intelligent Americans are comparatively ignorant to anything outside their borders that doesn't directly affect them. It's arrogance more than anything.
Generalizing an entire population based on minimal interaction with a handful of sports fans seems far less ignorant and arrogant.

Pot meet kettle etc.

Youre good at picking and choosing bits to suit your argument.

So, even with your lists you still have them right at the top? Gotcha.

They are at the top of none of those lists.

{<doc}

Edit: I actually did check the sports I'm not familiar with in my original post, those which USA are top of the lists I said 'yes'.

Again. If you have any evidence to the contrary I would like to see.

Last edited:
Generalizing an entire population based on minimal interaction with a handful of sports fans seems far less ignorant and arrogant.

Pot meet kettle etc.

It's a sterotype. Sterotype are generalisations by their nature. Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone.

And my personal experience with Americans is not limited to sherdog, and it's definitely not limited to sports. Why would you assume?

I said there is evidence, that the sterotype is largely true.

Soccer is a pussy sport

At best it’s a good base for other sports such as improving footwork

Olympic games baseball:

The US doesnt use professional players for the Olympics for baseball, and they didn’t start it in the World Cup until 2006. Some of the best pros don’t play in the WBC either. The last WBC which they won was probably their best team they’ve had and it still wasn’t the absolute best they could put out either.

There’s a good mix in baseball (Caribbean, Central and some of South America, the Far East) but most players are American

This example would be like if England’s world cup team was made up of a bunch of players in League 2

Most popular sports by participation:
  1. Soccer - no
  2. Badminton - no
  3. Field hockey - no
  4. Volleyball - no
  5. Basketball - yes
  6. Tennis - no
  7. Cricket - no
  8. Table tennis - no
  9. Baseball - no
  10. Golf - yes
Most popular by # of fans:
  1. Soccer - no
  2. Cricket - no
  3. Field Hockey - no
  4. Tennis - no
  5. Volleyball - no
  6. Table tennis - no
  7. Basketball - yes
  8. Baseball - no
  9. Rugby - no
  10. Golf - yes

USA is a non-entity in a lot of the world's most popular sports
It requires near criminal gullibility to reprint TopEnd lists with seriousness. That site has been a joke for a decade. They have Field Hockey at #3 on both lists. The fact that this alone wasn't enough of a red flag for you to immediately abandon that source is a red card to your sports knowledge credibility. Then I saw that you actually believe that Cuba and Japan are better than Americans at baseball, and that red card became a scarlet letter.

Here's a proper analysis with a transparent and exhaustive methodology:
https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/
Criteria used
  1. Global base & audience
  2. TV Viewership numbers
  3. Number Professional leagues around the world
  4. TV rights deals
  5. Endorsement & Sponsorship deals
  6. Average athlete salary in top league
  7. Biggest competition & (number of countries represented)
  8. Social media presence
  9. Prominence in sports headlines on media outlets (websites, tv)
  10. Relevancy through the year
  11. Regional dominance
  12. Gender equality
  13. Accessible to general public worldwide
This is a much, much, much, much, much better list:
  1. Football/Soccer
  2. Basketball
  3. Cricket
  4. Tennis
  5. Athletics
  6. Rugby
  7. Formula 1
  8. Boxing
  9. Ice Hockey
  10. Volleyball (counting Beach Volleyball)
  11. Golf
  12. Baseball
  13. American Football
  14. MMA
  15. MotoGP
  16. Field Hockey
  17. Badminton
  18. Cycling
  19. Swimming
  20. Snooker
  21. Table Tennis
  22. Gymnastics
  23. Handball
  24. Wrestling
  25. Skiing
  26. Horse Racing

This has much more to do with Cable (regional) contracts and broadcast exclusivity than it does with growing popularity of the sport, here.

I really thought it would have taken off, by now, after the success of our women, and our increasingly diverse demographic evolution, especially with the brain trauma discoveries and growing awareness afflicting the NFL and Pop Warner, but it just isn't the reality here.

It requires near criminal gullibility to reprint TopEnd lists with seriousness. That site has been a joke for a decade. They have Field Hockey at #3 on both lists. The fact that this alone wasn't enough of a red flag for you to immediately abandon that source is a red card to your sports knowledge credibility. Then I saw that you actually believe that Cuba and Japan are better than Americans at baseball, and that red card became a scarlet letter.

Here's a proper analysis with a transparent and exhaustive methodology:
https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/

This is a much, much, much, much, much better list:
  1. Football/Soccer
  2. Basketball
  3. Cricket
  4. Tennis
  5. Athletics
  6. Rugby
  7. Formula 1
  8. Boxing
  9. Ice Hockey
  10. Volleyball (counting Beach Volleyball)
  11. Golf
  12. Baseball
  13. American Football
  14. MMA
  15. MotoGP
  16. Field Hockey
  17. Badminton
  18. Cycling
  19. Swimming
  20. Snooker
  21. Table Tennis
  22. Gymnastics
  23. Handball
  24. Wrestling
  25. Skiing
  26. Horse Racing
Fair enough, I am pretty ignorant on baseball.
However those criteria are not what I would consider when judging the world most popular sports, other than criteria #1 and #2.
E g. There's no way American Football even close to being bigger than badminton globally, even though there is far more money in it.

Even if we take your list... I was simply disagreeing with the other bloke who said "americans dominate just about every sport in the world", and he would still be wrong.

The US doesnt use professional players for the Olympics for baseball, and they didn’t start it in the World Cup until 2006. Some of the best pros don’t play in the WBC either. The last WBC which they won was probably their best team they’ve had and it still wasn’t the absolute best they could put out either.

There’s a good mix in baseball (Caribbean, Central and some of South America, the Far East) but most players are American

This example would be like if England’s world cup team was made up of a bunch of players in League 2
Why wouldn't they though?

Why wouldn't they though?

The World Cup was limited to amateur players until 1998. Olympics take place during the season. WBC is before season, but a lot of pitchers aren’t interested in doing it because they’re trying to prepare for the season

It's the most popular... But popularity is a terrible way to measure greatness. By that measure, Snow and Bud Light are the two best beers in the world (they both suck). Drake is the greatest rapper, McDonald's has the greatest burgers, etc. Mass appeal <> Greatness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back