Buying a new watch; which brand(s) do you recommend?

9/10 people are only concerned with status symbols whether it’s Air Jordans on welfare or Tag Heuer on food stamps.

A gold plated turd is still a turd and the subterfuge won’t last long.
That's an awfully negative and unhelpful opinion.

Rolex 114300 Oyster Perpetual. $5200.00

Omega Planet Ocean 600M Master Chronometer 39.5 $5200.00

I love the Oysters. By the looks of Rolex's they seem too big for my wrist (I haven't checked them out in person yet so I could be wrong). But I basically have girl wrists, hahah, so need something that isn't bulky at all.

I didnt even read the original post, looks like TS just wants a status symbol.

For the most part, you are correct.

80% status symbol
19% completes an outfit
1% to tell time (have a cellphone but is actually easier to look at my wrist)

That planet ocean is really thick, though.

If you want a more minimalist look with a smaller dial I like the Nomos Glashutte
101-139-tangente-2d-front-masked.jpg

That is a nice looking watch, seems like it would be good for small wrists too. Thank you.

I agree with a lot of the Rolex recommendations here especially if you have little wrists. A used submariner will hold its value for you and fit nicely.

Do Rolex's really fit little wrists well?

From my own experience, my suggestion is to start thinking first with these standard watches which naturally will run up to that 5K budget. The reason why I say to think of these first is because there's a lot of models in between which you might be sucked in by but long-term they don't hold up in style, timelessness, or resale value. For example, many collectors started off hating Rolex but ended with owning them due to irresistable draw, especially as they becomes more knowledgeable in watches. So start with the basics then expand the criteria to see if you truly can live with a lesser watch or one that is not as popular.

Any used Rolex within budget but if modern and new is the criteria,
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm
Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-39-ref-114300-White-Dial-Baselworld-2018-4.jpg

That Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm is beauuutiful. Love it. Guess I'll have to go in person to see how it fits on my wrist, because I would love to have that watch.

I love the Oysters. By the looks of Rolex's they seem too big for my wrist (I haven't checked them out in person yet so I could be wrong). But I basically have girl wrists, hahah, so need something that isn't bulky at all.

For the most part, you are correct.

80% status symbol
19% completes an outfit
1% to tell time (have a cellphone but is actually easier to look at my wrist)

That is a nice looking watch, seems like it would be good for small wrists too. Thank you.

Do Rolex's really fit little wrists well?

That Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm is beauuutiful. Love it. Guess I'll have to go in person to see how it fits on my wrist, because I would love to have that watch.

Before spending the money, understand what will be the use of the watch and learn about complications to see which ones do you consider a must.

Go anywhere, do anything?
Date?
Dressy?
Sporty?
Chronograph?
Material?
Usable with different straps?

With that in mind, you can start to define the style you want, and afterwards, you can search for models that have those specific characteristics.

I consider legibility as a must, therefore, I avoid chronographs and dressy watches that lack lume. Date is important for me (i dislike date day complication). If I'm having something glued to my wrist, I'd rather have an additional benefit than just time and day, so I like the diver bezel. Watches that comply with my wants are classified as tool watches. Check the pelagos.

@Sonny gtfih and drop some knowledge

Omega-Planet-Ocean-GMT-6.jpg

This is what I wear, Omega Seamaster GMT, 600m wr and a pressure cap, large yet not offensively, stylish yet not gaudy and of course it feels and performs like a 70s vixen running with wild horses.

An absolute man’s watch, but TS maybe your wrist is too thin? You could definitely try one out in store, the staff at Omega are very well trained, they may even suggest something more fitting for a male with suspiciously feminine arms such as yours.

Before spending the money, understand what will be the use of the watch and learn about complications to see which ones do you consider a must.

Go anywhere, do anything?
Date?
Dressy?
Sporty?
Chronograph?
Material?
Usable with different straps?

With that in mind, you can start to define the style you want, and afterwards, you can search for models that have those specific characteristics.

I consider legibility as a must, therefore, I avoid chronographs and dressy watches that lack lume. Date is important for me (i dislike date day complication). If I'm having something glued to my wrist, I'd rather have an additional benefit than just time and day, so I like the diver bezel. Watches that comply with my wants are classified as tool watches. Check the pelagos.

@Sonny gtfih and drop some knowledge
Yep. This is good advice.

Seeing as how you’re going to be investing a considerable amount of money into this, you definitely want to be sure about what you want.

That said? For a do it all, every occasion watch, I like the Explorer(black dial). It’s fairly invisible to the naked eye. Subs with a date are pretty noticeable, GMT’s even more so. To me the explorer is bulletproof with a reliable movement. It doesn’t look out of place on a bracelet, leather strap, nato or even a bund strap. It’s classy, sporty and won’t fail you during a zombie apocalypse.

If you want something similar for a cheaper price I would check out the Tudor Heritage Ranger.

The steel Rolex shortage is legit, ladies and gentlemen.

I went in to buy a Submariner on Saturday and they said the best they could do was put me on the wait list 3 months out. I asked them if they had any Batman GMT Master ii's and they basically laughed me out of the store.

In a surprising change of heart, I actually got really intrigued by this Rolex Datejust 41:
Rolex-Datejust-41-Steel-Rolex-Baselworld-2017-Rolex-Predictions-2017-4.jpg

I just can't digest whether or not this is too dressy for my daily routine. Also note 100% sold on that fluted bezel yet.

The steel Rolex shortage is legit, ladies and gentlemen.

I went in to buy a Submariner on Saturday and they said the best they could do was put me on the wait list 3 months out. I asked them if they had any Batman GMT Master ii's and they basically laughed me out of the store.

In a surprising change of heart, I actually got really intrigued by this Rolex Datejust 41:
Rolex-Datejust-41-Steel-Rolex-Baselworld-2017-Rolex-Predictions-2017-4.jpg

I just can't digest whether or not this is too dressy for my daily routine. Also note 100% sold on that fluted bezel yet.
Drop a deposit with the store for the sub, I'm pretty sure you will get a call sooner than you expect.

Don't settle for something you don't want, that's an expensive route to end up with the one you wanted at first.

I like Stuhrling. They’re nice and reasonably priced.

This is the one I have.

s-l1000.jpg

But it’s the men that are supposed to give *me* the money ):
Dont be greedy be charitable with the money men gave you online, spread the wealth, help a brotha out. I will forever be grateful.

If you just need to tell the time while your out in the woods roughing and you're not concerned if you lose it then I'd recommend a Patek Phillipe

Dont be greedy be charitable with the money men gave you online, spread the wealth, help a brotha out. I will forever be grateful.
I actually do donate some of the money so, that’s good enough lol.

I bought a watch years ago for 350 in Miami. Use to wear alot of gold too but then I became a man and figured I didnt need bling bling to make me look cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back