Muay Thai Gym Q&A

When is the best time to buy tickets: as early as possible, as soon as you know you're going there and have the dates just book it.

When is the best time to go there: during off season (not December-February which is high season)

Which airline: depends if you want a direct flight which is slightly more expansive but quicker or a longer one with a lay over somewhere which is usually cheaper. Use www.skyscanner.com to check out your different options with prices and fly times.

Awesome, thank you. Just curious, why don't you recommend going during the high season? Is it just more expensive or just more crowded in general?

Awesome, thank you. Just curious, why don't you recommend going during the high season? Is it just more expensive or just more crowded in general?

Both. It's more expensive and more crowded.

It's a personal preference and I'm not saying you shouldn't go during high season. It's just that flights are more expensive, accommodation is usually more expensive too, and maybe even other things.

If I go there I personally prefer going off season, for instance in March / April / May as it's cheaper and there's less drunk farang walking about (+ you get songkran then). You also get to speak more / spend more time with the locals depending on where you are in Thailand as those who work in bars, restaurants, etc. are less busy and more chilled.

Both. It's more expensive and more crowded.

It's a personal preference and I'm not saying you shouldn't go during high season. It's just that flights are more expensive, accommodation is usually more expensive too, and maybe even other things.

If I go there I personally prefer going off season, for instance in March / April / May as it's cheaper and there's less drunk farang walking about (+ you get songkran then). You also get to speak more / spend more time with the locals depending on where you are in Thailand as those who work in bars, restaurants, etc. are less busy and more chilled.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately December is the only month that I have this year to be able to take some time off. I'll be heading to Chai Yai camp in Chiang Mai and I'm a bit nervous about traveling to Thailand. Hopefully it should be fun.

If you are looking to go for the main purpose of improving your Muay Thai Skills in a good facility really anywhere on Soi Taied would be able to help you, the issue you have will be you wont get the best value for money when you are there.

If you are looking for value for money you need to go to Bangkok, it will deliver the best level of training with the best prices, you will be able to source your accommodation close to the gym for a good price and will be able to pick from world class gyms all around the city.

If you are set on heading to Phuket I would recommend going to Rattachai and training there, the price is great and the training is superb they are also less busy than some of the other gyms which will allow more one on one time.

all the trainers also offer 1 on 1 sessions should you require this.

give me a shout if you want any more info.
Thanks for the response man. For Muay Thai I don't really mind where I go, but I am eyeing that PTT white to blue belt program, and I wanna check it out at a later date.

As for my straight Muay Thai training I'm looking for the highest quality instruction at the lowest price. How does Rattachai's Muay Thai program compare to PTT's? I wouldn't mind heading to Bangkok if it means saving some greens (I'm a broke student).

The only thing I was worried about was recovery options, what is there to do in Bangkok to relax after training? Can you find clean inexpensive food like on fighters street?

I was watching some videos and saw a fighter ordering meals from a delivery service. All delicious looking, nutrient dense meals, that fit your macros at about $4 a pop depending on the protein.

I just want a month (or more) of eaty, sleepy, trainy, on a students budget.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately December is the only month that I have this year to be able to take some time off. I'll be heading to Chai Yai camp in Chiang Mai and I'm a bit nervous about traveling to Thailand. Hopefully it should be fun.

Chiang Mai is nice, no need to be nervous about going there :)

Thanks for the response man. For Muay Thai I don't really mind where I go, but I am eyeing that PTT white to blue belt program, and I wanna check it out at a later date.

As for my straight Muay Thai training I'm looking for the highest quality instruction at the lowest price. How does Rattachai's Muay Thai program compare to PTT's? I wouldn't mind heading to Bangkok if it means saving some greens (I'm a broke student).

The only thing I was worried about was recovery options, what is there to do in Bangkok to relax after training? Can you find clean inexpensive food like on fighters street?

I was watching some videos and saw a fighter ordering meals from a delivery service. All delicious looking, nutrient dense meals, that fit your macros at about $4 a pop depending on the protein.

I just want a month (or more) of eaty, sleepy, trainy, on a students budget.

Completely get where you are coming from on price etc.

If you are going to Thailand, my opinion is train solely Muay Thai when you are there. It is something I think most would suggest, training bjj or wrestling when you are out there is good but why travel to the home of Mauy Thai and not take full advantage of it.

With regards to cheap eats on Soi Taied they are easy to find, The Shak and Tony's are the two that most will talk about however there are plenty more on the street. There are some more expensive places that also offer excellent food.

There is a place next to the latte cafe that offers amazing thai food at a really good price, i ate there most days. There is no denying that Soi Taied is completely focused on the health and fitness community so its a really good place to go.

If you are solely focused on price however I think you could find better deals going to bangkok, you will train and live cheaper and will likely eat cheaper.

I have a question when traveling to Thailand. As a foreigner, am I expected to be rip off by taxi cab drivers or are there ways around this? Also, do you guys prefer flying straight to Thailand or is it better to save money go with a connecting flight to Thailand? Thank you.

I have a question when traveling to Thailand. As a foreigner, am I expected to be rip off by taxi cab drivers or are there ways around this? Also, do you guys prefer flying straight to Thailand or is it better to save money go with a connecting flight to Thailand? Thank you.

You could get ripped off by a taxi just like a foreigner in any other country.

The best is to find out how much a taxi costs from where you are to where you're going. You can check that on the internet or ask your hotel or wherever you're staying and they'll tell you how much it should be. Negotiating down the price you're being told by the driver is not uncommon, I've done it many times when I knew it was higher than it should. Just make sure you ask before getting on board, and that you agree to a price you're happy with first. I usually also prefer agreeing to a price with them rather than using the meter, and from experience they seem to be happy with that too.

In terms of flying straight to Thailand or having a stopover somewhere it's completely down to preference, do you prefer flying cheap or do you prefer getting there quicker for more money? I personally prefer the second option.

I use Grab if I need to use a taxi in Bangkok. I normally use the BTS or a motorbike taxi though.

I'm going back to Thailand going to train in Pattaya and Bangkok later this month. In Pattaya I plan to check out Fairtex haven't been in a while they now having a mma team a boxing coach and ju jitsu classes, I mainly plan to train at Petchrungruang. In Bangkok I'm haven't made up my mind yet Probably check out a couple places

I use Grab if I need to use a taxi in Bangkok. I normally use the BTS or a motorbike taxi though.

will second that but when i was trying to install and use grab on my phone on the truemove network, i was having all sorts of issues.

and in case people didn't know, namsaknoi is now at rattachai.

Has Anyone tried evolve mma in Singapore? Can anyone give me inside info on it, I see the 3 month "package" is like 1.2k but is that legit just for training? That seems extremely steep just for training

Has Anyone tried evolve mma in Singapore? Can anyone give me inside info on it, I see the 3 month "package" is like 1.2k but is that legit just for training? That seems extremely steep just for training

It is know to be extremely expensive. What is the reason you want to go, is it solely for the name?

If its for MT you would be much better off going to Thailand for a month and training.

It is know to be extremely expensive. What is the reason you want to go, is it solely for the name?

If its for MT you would be much better off going to Thailand for a month and training.
i heard it was a great facility. If you know any other options let me know

Do you know much about that area? I’m looking at Santai or Hongthong in Chiang Mai or Charn Chai/Bee’s gym or Sit Je Mam in Pai.

I’m training at Charn Chai right now and having a blast.

Great trainers here, and Pai is a really cool place.

Tbh, I stayed a couple of nights in Chiang Mai on my way up here and it’s become a really busy and chaotic city compared to last time I was there. If you want a more laid back vibe then Pai is the spot.

I’m training at Charn Chai right now and having a blast.

Great trainers here, and Pai is a really cool place.

Tbh, I stayed a couple of nights in Chiang Mai on my way up here and it’s become a really busy and chaotic city compared to last time I was there. If you want a more laid back vibe then Pai is the spot.

Bee is one of the best trainers I have worked with. He spent a lot of time working in Holland, so he understands how to blend a western style with Muay Thai.

Is Tree still around?

Bee is one of the best trainers I have worked with. He spent a lot of time working in Holland, so he understands how to blend a western style with Muay Thai.

Is Tree still around?

Yeah Tree is still here keeping everyone quite entertained.

Back