Elbow pads

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
At my gym they allow you to use elbows and knees when sparring as long as you have them padded. Iv been using volleyball knee pads and theyre okay but i was wondering about elbow pads. Does anyone know of a good brand to try?

Honestly had no idea they were a thing lol. At my gym we just do full thai and pull the hits as much as we can with the knees and elbows.

Honestly had no idea they were a thing lol. At my gym we just do full thai and pull the hits as much as we can with the knees and elbows.

Sadly coach wont let us throw em unless they're covered. I came from a full Muay thai background and most people at this gym kickbox so I capitalise on knees and clinching but I have yet to be able to use elbows which are one of my favourite weapons

I've only ever used the ring to cage brand and they work well. I think a nice benefit is that if your opponent is wearing them, it protects you from taking an elbow to your instep or foot from a poorly blocked kick.

many muay thai brands make elbow pads. I would suggest always using elbow pads while training elbows with a partner. A clean solid elbow with an elbow pad on, will still cut, I have done it in sparring. Even with elbow pads on, when we spar with them, we still dont make contact, we "shadow spar" them. or we might make light contact unintentionally which is why the elbow pad is there.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a pair of the IMF ones. Should be arriving today. Ill let you guys know how they are. The only thing iv heard negative is the sizing is small. Someone said their circulation gets cut off while sparring but i ordered the largest size so we shall see

I ended up ordering a pair of the IMF ones. Should be arriving today. Ill let you guys know how they are. The only thing iv heard negative is the sizing is small. Someone said their circulation gets cut off while sparring but i ordered the largest size so we shall see
yo how did they turn out

yo how did they turn out

I'll give a little breakdown so far. In all seriousness iv used them a handfull of times over the last few months some reasons will be pretty obvious as to why.

The price was around 50CAD so a little pricey but i thought id give it a shot.

When on and even just holding them they look pretty slick. my coach has the nationman pads and they inevitably end up looking like a soiled diaper on his elbow after a few rounds of clinching. Since these are made of a foam they dont scrunch down the arm as softer ones would.

The construction of the actual item is good no loose threads, cracked leather, etc.

Now for the actual use of them. I had to buy the largest size they had, still its a hassle to pull these things on. i would blame the neoprene sleeve for that as well as for the cut off of circulation 2 min into a round. A positive of the sleeve is when clinching or framing they stay on tight, the sleeve almost like shrink wraps to your arm.The biggest problem and a reason i would choose to spar without them is that when punching it stops my arm from fully extending to straight so jabs are wonky af amongst other punches. Even when blocking they limit the bend you can get in your arm leaving holes. My partners have kicked them and said its much better than hitting an elbow so i guess thats good haha.

When throwing elbows these are actually very decent pads. As they are super tight the control with them is good, you'll hit where you want and can actually slip some reverse (Anderson Silva style) elbows in there. You can land horizontal, uppercut and overhand elbows and they will all hit the area intended (i hope this "control" part makes sense). My favourite part about these is that you can feel the impact of all the elbows you throw and since the foam padding is good enough its kind to the partners you spar with.

Next i'll be looking to get a pair of those nationman pads see how those are since my coach actually recommended these and he has around 50 ammy MT fights and said he has used those.

All in all SOLID 5/10 it would be better if they were around 20 to 40 rather than 50

thanks for that legit reply samurai.

I was also looking at the venum elbow pads - they have neoprene and velcro so the fit might be better

soiled diaper part made me chuckle

I'll give a little breakdown so far. In all seriousness iv used them a handfull of times over the last few months some reasons will be pretty obvious as to why.

The price was around 50CAD so a little pricey but i thought id give it a shot.

When on and even just holding them they look pretty slick. my coach has the nationman pads and they inevitably end up looking like a soiled diaper on his elbow after a few rounds of clinching. Since these are made of a foam they dont scrunch down the arm as softer ones would.

The construction of the actual item is good no loose threads, cracked leather, etc.

Now for the actual use of them. I had to buy the largest size they had, still its a hassle to pull these things on. i would blame the neoprene sleeve for that as well as for the cut off of circulation 2 min into a round. A positive of the sleeve is when clinching or framing they stay on tight, the sleeve almost like shrink wraps to your arm.The biggest problem and a reason i would choose to spar without them is that when punching it stops my arm from fully extending to straight so jabs are wonky af amongst other punches. Even when blocking they limit the bend you can get in your arm leaving holes. My partners have kicked them and said its much better than hitting an elbow so i guess thats good haha.

When throwing elbows these are actually very decent pads. As they are super tight the control with them is good, you'll hit where you want and can actually slip some reverse (Anderson Silva style) elbows in there. You can land horizontal, uppercut and overhand elbows and they will all hit the area intended (i hope this "control" part makes sense). My favourite part about these is that you can feel the impact of all the elbows you throw and since the foam padding is good enough its kind to the partners you spar with.

Next i'll be looking to get a pair of those nationman pads see how those are since my coach actually recommended these and he has around 50 ammy MT fights and said he has used those.

All in all SOLID 5/10 it would be better if they were around 20 to 40 rather than 50

yeah dude, I hate how they are all tight and make your arms stick straight out, uncomfortable to keep them bent etc.

As far as them slipping, I would prefer them to slip in a fight, so I can hit with my elbow!

yeah dude, I hate how they are all tight and make your arms stick straight out, uncomfortable to keep them bent etc.

As far as them slipping, I would prefer them to slip in a fight, so I can hit with my elbow!
Haha my coach and i are the only ones who use elbows so in a fight it would be okay but id rather not start to slice and dice my partners. My coaches seem to just sag up but never expose his elbow so im gonna save up for a pair of the same make

Back