Blast from the past: Max Payne

MP3 didn't feel like a Max Payne game to me.
I still enjoyed it. But all throughout the game it felt such a crying shame the superior graphics and production values went into a Brazilian setting instead of the American urban background that is such an integral part of the Payne mythos. Part 3 was released ten years after 2, so there was no danger of player fatigue from the same environment at all.....

Always liked MP2 over the original. MP3 is underrated as fuck. The only issue I had with that game, is that it was perhaps a little too long for such a linear shooter. However, what it does, it does extremely well. Probably the tightest third person shooter of last gen, and you can create some really epic, and organic cinematic moments if you take the time to experiment with the environment. I wish it had a video editor, where you could create and upload your stuff. Kind of like the one in the "Skate" games. There are so many times in MP3, that I would accidentally do something that looked incredible, and wish I could watch a replay.

I still enjoyed it. But all throughout the game it felt such a crying shame the superior graphics and production values went into a Brazilian setting instead of the American urban background that is such an integral part of the Payne mythos. Part 3 was released ten years after 2, so there was no danger of player fatigue from the same environment at all.....

They gave you a taste in a few chapters at least. I actually loved the change in setting. Far too many drab, brown and grey games out at the time. At least with Brazil, the mood remained dark and gritty, just with a lot more color and diversity. Brazil is a pretty fucked up place, so I didn't mind the setting change, as Max Payne's identity still fit into that world. It's not like they moved it to San Francisco or anything, just to brighten things up.

The first one was a huge deal when it came out. I really like the first two. Never played the third, it didn’t really look like a Max Payne game too me and more like they just used the title for name recognition to sell a completely different Game they wanted to make

One useless point I want to add regarding MP1 was that it's a shame there's no walking, it's either run, or stop. Each time they show you gunning down a fool all cinematic style, I wanna be walkin away all gangster and shit!

MP2 made it right.
I don't remember MP3 being as amazing as alot of folks are saying, but by the time I was playing, I was fairly done with games already.
That said, I would play MP4, and I'd like it to be in some gritty dank NY setting again. Toronto??!

I loved 1 and 2 but the way 3 told its story was awesome.

When Tears by Health came on I knew Rockstar were onto something and were gonna start using licensed music in its games from there on. It just fit so well.

They'd always used licenced music in their games; the Warriors, GTA series, Midnight Club, Bully etc

MP3 was 2012 after all those games.

I loved MP1 but havent played the sequels.

They'd always used licenced music in their games; the Warriors, GTA series, Midnight Club, Bully etc

MP3 was 2012 after all those games.

I loved MP1 but havent played the sequels.
I know but what I meant was they actually incorporated it into the story as a vehicle to increase the mood.

Previous games used it ambiently. Although MC2 had the bomb soundtrack lol

Last edited:
I still have my mouse pad that came with the game. "Police line: Do not cross a man with nothing to lose"

The level where you’re running around following the baby crying nearly drove me insane.
I can't believe I was 12 when I played that shit. My young mind was not ready . I got GTAIII a few weeks later and it's been all downhill ever since

The first one was a huge deal when it came out. I really like the first two. Never played the third, it didn’t really look like a Max Payne game too me and more like they just used the title for name recognition to sell a completely different Game they wanted to make
I thought that too. I wanted to hate it but it's honestly in my top 5 games. It's amazing. There's one level where Max has a flashback and you play in the New Jersey winter so you still get some of that MP noir. Definitely worth a try and it still holds up perfect

I loved 1 and 2 but the way 3 told its story was awesome.

When Tears by Health came on I knew Rockstar were onto something and were gonna start using licensed music in its games from there on. It just fit so well.

Max Payne never was only about shooting. It was about atmosphere, thrill, horror, a game with a soul not just shooting. MP1 and 2 had it, 3rd not. I enjoyed 3rd but it never told a story just like first 2 games. End of.

Only thing I hate about MP were the weird dream missions and the baby crying crap. Aside from that the game was very satisfying to play. You were invincible when you rolled so it was pretty easy to cheese the AI, I know because I beat the game using only the baseball bat with the exception for the one part of the game where you have to snipe some cables that are out of reach. MP3 was a good game but it felt like a generic shooter with slow down effects. I guess being all drugged up and old, he can't dive around anymore.

Always liked MP2 over the original. MP3 is underrated as fuck. The only issue I had with that game, is that it was perhaps a little too long for such a linear shooter. However, what it does, it does extremely well. Probably the tightest third person shooter of last gen, and you can create some really epic, and organic cinematic moments if you take the time to experiment with the environment. I wish it had a video editor, where you could create and upload your stuff. Kind of like the one in the "Skate" games. There are so many times in MP3, that I would accidentally do something that looked incredible, and wish I could watch a replay.

I've been watching no damage runs on youtube, some of the stuff people can pull off is like watching John Wick. I hope after RDR2 come out we get a fourth installment down the road.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Soundtrack
  • Comic
  • Setting
While playing this game when it first came out I just felt Noir York city like I was living there for a long time. This is in my opinion a Godfather of thriller shooters with some crazy storyline. Big game in its prime, true Hollywood quality production for a game.
Soundtrack its like from those action movies. MP1 and MP2 my favourite games hands down. I hated MP3 for changing dark Noir York atmosphere, scrapping comic but then again it was done by Rockstar.

I will never forgive Remedy selling MP to Rockstar.

Loved it when it came out

I never played 3 either, wasn’t gaming at all during that time

I've been watching no damage runs on youtube, some of the stuff people can pull off is like watching John Wick. I hope after RDR2 come out we get a fourth installment down the road.

I’m gonna have to check that out.

The one thing I remember from the first Max Payne game is doing the boss fight in the Ragna Rock club over and over again, while blasting Atari Teenage Riot's Digital Hardcore. Something about trying to sync-fight to the music with dual uzis just triggered something in me, I guess.

Back