The knee thread!

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Ok guys, so after getting some decent in depth discussion going on sanos bag work thread regarding knees. And a ton of great information being shared on the cuban boxing thread. I am hoping we can get something similar going with the knee, and we can all combine and share our knowledge on the knee and hopefully everyone can learn a thing or two. The knee is my best weapon, and im a knee fighter (muay khao), I have been working on my outside game for the past few years so I can not rely so heavily on my knee and clinch. Anyways one thing that interests me on the knee, is not what type of knees, but what type of ways to practice knees are out there. If anyone has any thing they would like to share that would be great. This is soemthing I have yet to try but looks pretty good.

this looks pretty good as well

here you can see him demonstrate the raising and pushing of the knee, rather than throwing it straight from the ground. @Sano

Last edited:
Knee fighters unite!
Yodkhupon

Different styles

Dieselnoi

I personally use the 'see-ap' knee to break posture and follow it up with a Dieselnoi style knee or Singdam style knee. I make sure all my knees enter at a slight angle so that they don't hit the 6 pack and hit just next to it where there isn't muscle to shield the opponent.

Knee fighters unite!
Yodkhupon

Different styles

Dieselnoi

I personally use the 'see-ap' knee to break posture and follow it up with a Dieselnoi style knee or Singdam style knee. I make sure all my knees enter at a slight angle so that they don't hit the 6 pack and hit just next to it where there isn't muscle to shield the opponent.

Im going to have to study yod and dieselnoi. I have watched, but never sat down and studied them.

good stuff guys, keep them coming. Knee techniques, knee counters, knee drills, etc!

Man, I love knees. I actually hate fighting in my home state of CO because most of the promotions don't allow knees among amateurs (incredibly lame). A few of my favorites (more KB oriented)

@Uchi Mata I heard CO rules were kinda like kickboxing - no elbows no knees not much clinching. Its like little Holland over there!

Great vids from Silvie and thanks for all contributors so far.

<GinJuice>

good stuff guys, keep them coming. Knee techniques, knee counters, knee drills, etc!

Sagetdao demonstrates several way to defend clinch knees.
Not surprisingly, a good knee fighter also knows how to counter them.

To me the art of kneeing is about distance and timing. Too soon or too close and you land with the bottom of your thigh, too late or too far and you lose all the drive.
Hot take, side knees in the clinch rarely do significant damage unless there’s a huge mismatch.

now back to the topic... being able to hit knees from the distance in a fight is my next goal concerning muay thai.

being KOd by a knee to the gut was what finally got me into learning "real muay thai" but while my clinch improved a lot helping me win my last 4 fights, I still got a lot of work to do with knees and elbows out of it

To me the art of kneeing is about distance and timing. Too soon or too close and you land with the bottom of your thigh, too late or too far and you lose all the drive.
Hot take, side knees in the clinch rarely do significant damage unless there’s a huge mismatch.

I think the most powerful knee is the straight knee for sure. But the side knee can do quite a bit of damage, specifically if you get good with the left for the liver. The side knee probably isnt going to drop on the first shot, but will add up, much like leg kicks.

Ok guys, so after getting some decent in depth discussion going on sanos bag work thread regarding knees. And a ton of great information being shared on the cuban boxing thread. I am hoping we can get something similar going with the knee, and we can all combine and share our knowledge on the knee and hopefully everyone can learn a thing or two. The knee is my best weapon, and im a knee fighter (muay khao), I have been working on my outside game for the past few years so I can not rely so heavily on my knee and clinch. Anyways one thing that interests me on the knee, is not what type of knees, but what type of ways to practice knees are out there. If anyone has any thing they would like to share that would be great. This is soemthing I have yet to try but looks pretty good.

this looks pretty good as well

here you can see him demonstrate the raising and pushing of the knee, rather than throwing it straight from the ground. @Sano

Apart from the correct way of kneeing, whats important is setting it up with your hands, opposed of thinking about kneeing as something you only do in a clinch or from your base stance. An example combination would be leading with your right hand, right knee, left hook, right kick. Or lead with the right, extends both your arms in the opponents face followed by driving in that knee, followed by something else. Etcetera

I think the most powerful knee is the straight knee for sure. But the side knee can do quite a bit of damage, specifically if you get good with the left for the liver. The side knee probably isnt going to drop on the first shot, but will add up, much like leg kicks.

If you want to do damage with side knees you have to set them up, like anything else. The lazy side knees guys throw when they don't really want to clinch much just to appear busy do no more damage than the lazy punches to the gut guys throw in boxing clinches when they don't really want to clinch. If you want to hurt people with side knees you really need to focus more on getting a dominant angle in the clinch so you can turn your hip into the knee as well as whip your opponent into the knee. Personally I'm really big on trying to get an underhook and shrug it up to get a tight head and arm control, and only then will I really start throwing side knees in earnest after the ribs and liver are really exposed.

Sagetdao demonstrates several way to defend clinch knees.
Not surprisingly, a good knee fighter also knows how to counter them.

That's one that I am 100% going to show the kids in my class.

If you want to do damage with side knees you have to set them up, like anything else. The lazy side knees guys throw when they don't really want to clinch much just to appear busy do no more damage than the lazy punches to the gut guys throw in boxing clinches when they don't really want to clinch. If you want to hurt people with side knees you really need to focus more on getting a dominant angle in the clinch so you can turn your hip into the knee as well as whip your opponent into the knee. Personally I'm really big on trying to get an underhook and shrug it up to get a tight head and arm control, and only then will I really start throwing side knees in earnest after the ribs and liver are really exposed.

out ouf all my fights so far, I have not KO anyone, but I have TKO someone, and it was from side knees. I use them quite a bit. I think they are powerful if you know how to throw them, and catch them cleanly. I was taught to throw my side knees by pointing the knee and bringing it in at an angle, rather than lifting and slapping with the side. You see alot of guys do it that way, lifting and slapping with the side. Thats for training, so you dont injure your partner. You also see alot of guys teaching it that way, even if you are hitting with the knee rather than the thigh, the way its thrown, not much power. IMO because its 2 motions, lift than slap, rather than being thrown directly from the ground, plus the angle of the knee

training way

Check out vuts instructional here, this is how I was taught, notice that for both the diagonal and curve knees, he still has his knee pointed at an angle coming in. Much more power this way and the reason for this IMO is because its all one motion. Rather then lifting first and then slapping, plus the angle of the knee

after I typed all this up, i just found this video by fightips, he does a good job of pointing out and explaining exactly what I was trying to say.

Last edited:
out ouf all my fights so far, I have not KO anyone, but I have TKO someone, and it was from side knees. I use them quite a bit. I think they are powerful if you know how to throw them, and catch them cleanly. I was taught to throw my side knees by pointing the knee and bringing it in at an angle, rather than lifting and slapping with the side. You see alot of guys do it that way, lifting and slapping with the side. Thats for training, so you dont injure your partner. You also see alot of guys teaching it that way, even if you are hitting with the knee rather than the thigh, the way its thrown, not much power. IMO because its 2 motions, lift than slap, rather than being thrown directly from the ground, plus the angle of the knee

training way

Check out vuts instructional here, this is how I was taught, notice that for both the diagonal and curve knees, he still has his knee pointed at an angle coming in. Much more power this way and the reason for this IMO is because its all one motion. Rather then lifting first and then slapping, plus the angle of the knee

after I typed all this up, i just found this video by fightips, he does a good job of pointing out and explaining exactly what I was trying to say.

That last guy is making big mistakes though.

badknee.png

He is driving his hip back before driving it in. This is unnecessary, it makes your path of tractory extra long and it leaves you open to a guy with a shorter knee-path-trajectory (see photo below). Lastly he is projecting what he is doing by driving his hip back first.

You must learn to knee from a neutral stance (see photo below).

good_knee.png

The second thing that you see often with beginners making knees has to do with defense.

Screenshot_from_2018_06_29_20_37_41.png

Dropping your hands while kneeing is not a good idea. Closing your eyes and looking to the ground is also a bad idea when executing any attacking action. For proper defense look again at the thai fighter: he is protecting is head with his fore arm while kneeing.

Last edited:

training way

Couldn't agree more. That's why I think positioning prior to throwing the knee is so important, to get a good angle in on that knee to the liver being able to open the stance in the clinch a little bit really helps. My goal is always to get slightly to the side so I can create a mixed stance clinch long enough to open the line for a curved knee to the gut. That Sylvie vid with Dieslnoi REALLY helped my power and the angles I try to take.

I'll add too that my coach does use the more standard sort of curved knee, but he heavily emphasizes turning the knee slightly in and down when you bring it in to strike so that you hit with the point of the knees rather than the inside of the thigh. Still not as strong as throwing a true curve knee straight from the ground, but much more effective than an inside thigh slap.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I think positioning prior to throwing the knee is so important, to get a good angle in on that knee to the liver being able to open the stance in the clinch a little bit really helps. My goal is always to get slightly to the side so I can create a mixed stance clinch long enough to open the line for a curved knee to the gut. That Sylvie vid with Dieslnoi REALLY helped my power and the angles I try to take.

I'll add too that my coach does use the more standard sort of curved knee, but he heavily emphasizes turning the knee slightly in and down when you bring it in to strike so that you hit with the point of the knees rather than the inside of the thigh. Still not as strong as throwing a true curve knee straight from the ground, but much more effective than an inside thigh slap.

yeah the knee is the best weapon because its the largest knuckle, with the largest muscle, its like why dance around and do all this nonsense when I can just grab you and knee you. lol

check out this one, super close range but i still got the angle and to the liver area

11400989_1176869575672691_5685028397607774815_n.jpg

heres a much better example! Damien Alamos

muay-thai-spear1-961x640.jpg

Diagonal-Knee-Strike2.jpg

Last edited:
take a look at how he throws his outside knees here. I have not seen them done like this before really, or ever tried it. huge circular motion from up top.

Back