Donald Pump's "Let's Make F13 Great Again" Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be doing a lot of chores around the house tomorrow, probably while watching rugby. There's a Hitchcock-night at a local cinema, so I might enjoy Psycho or The Birds in the evening, probably with a beer I smuggled in.
On Sunday it's going to be rugby practice and I'll be making more biltong.

It's Spartan Sprint weekend! They were calling for a lot of rain earlier this week but now they are saying it will just be a litlel rain. Probably just enough to make it good and muddy!

Enjoy that whiskey Milkman, sounds like you deserve it.

It's Spartan Sprint weekend! They were calling for a lot of rain earlier this week but now they are saying it will just be a litlel rain. Probably just enough to make it good and muddy!

Enjoy that whiskey Milkman, sounds like you deserve it.
Good luck for the Spartan Sprint!

I have a mud run in three weeks. I forgot about it. My cardio is not up to par. Guess it’ll be a 10k walk with obstacles.

My idiot friend got drunk on Friday night and thus sucked ass at the race. We said we'd stick together so I waited for him... a lot. Finished in 1:59 which was still good enough for 1010th out of 2400 in the Open group. It was a fun time but I'm a bit disappointed because my time wasn't great nor did I feel particularly challenged. The only obstacle I failed was the rings, I got to the last ring but had zero momentum left to swing up and hit the bell. I'll put more details in my log when I have some time.

Did a write-up in my log about the race. Includes a link to some photos. I'm still waiting on the "pro" photos. They sent out a link but it seems to be missing a lot.
Sat June 23, 2018

Spartan Sprint!
My friend thought it was a good idea to get drunk on Friday night so he was hungover and dragging his ass on Saturday. The course was at a ski hill so had a lot of big hill climbs so I spent a lot of time waiting for him because we said we would do it together. The only obstacle I failed was the rings, and I got to the last ring but didn't have enough momentum to swing and hit the bell. Finished in 1:59 which was slower than I hoped and I also didn't feel challenged.

The race was at Brimacombe Ski Resort, about an hour East of Toronto so it had a lot of hills. It rained overnight and through the morning but stopped by the team our heat started. We did the Rookie Heat (for first time racers, it's cheaper) so it was later in the day at 1:45. We would have been screwed if it was a hot, sunny day. Let's see if I can remember how the race went...

• We started with an uphill jog to the top of the ski hill. About 2/3rds of the way up my friend said he needed to walk to pace himself. This was a bad sign.
  • 4 foot wall - easy
  • 5 foot wall - also easy
  • Under a well - yep easy
  • Cargo net wall - easy
  • Back down the hill, a bunch of the fancier apparatus were setup at the bottom
  • Hercules Hoist - had to hoist a 106 lb sand bag via rope and pulley. easy.
  • A-Frame cargo net - This was kinda freaky because it's pretty high but not really difficult per se
  • Monkey bars - Thought these might be tricky but I breezed through them. My wife got video that I'll have to post
  • Rope climb - Fuck technique, I brute forced my way to the top with a bit of body english at the end. I was pumped at this point.
  • Rope pull/drag - had to pull a metal bin full of rocks towards yourself and then drag it back via a chain attached to it. It was really light.
  • Back up the hill (climb #2)
  • Sand bag carry - carried a 40 lb sand bag about 30 feet down the hill and then back up.
  • Climb through a wall. Wait for it... easy.
  • (something else here??)
  • Back down the hill
  • Bucket Brigade - carry a 80 lb bucket of gravel around a fence. Maybe 40 feet total. Easy except I think this is where I tore a chunk of skin off my finger
  • Barbed wire crawl - tried crawling on my belly but it was hard to keep my butt down so I switched to sideways crawl, almost like shrimping.
  • Olympus - A wall with a variety of holds that you have to traverse laterally with no foot holds. Lots of slipping but I made it across.
  • Back up the hill (climb #3)
  • 6 foot wall - my hands slipped a bit but recovered and got over
  • Atlas carry - Carry a 115 lb atlas stone 15 feet, drop, 5 burpees, carry back. A lot of people seemed to struggle with this but I wouldn't have thought it was 115 lb but that's what I was told.
  • Downhill descent
  • Jog around a small lake (well we walked because of my friend)
  • CInder block drag - Apparently earlier in the day there was a huge lineup for this because the distance was pretty far and there was no room for passing. By the time we got there they had shortened it to about 15 feet up hill and back down so it was a joke
  • More jogging on flatland (again... walked boo)
  • Bog - This was fun. I don't know how they got this part so mucky but a few people lost shoes and it was impossible to not get muddy. Thankfully I'm tall so I only sunk to my knees but some of the shorter people were muddy almost to their waist.
  • Inverted wall - leaned back maybe 20 degrees? A bit tricky.
  • (I feel like there was something else here??)
  • Uphill climb #4 - This was the steepest one and I could feel it in my glutes.
  • RIngs - A combo of rings, a monkey bar, a couple vertical bars, and a few vertical ropes. Thanks to my long gangly arms I was able to swing between the rings but I ran out of momentum on the last ring. I tried to grab the rope and pull myself up but no dice. I wonder now if I could have swing my legs up and kicked the bell? I'm not sure if that's allowed. Did my 30 burpees.
  • Downhill descent
  • Spear Throw - I nailed this one which was a relief. You only get one try so I thought for sure it would mean burpees
  • Blackout - Crawling under a gigantic tarp through mud. Not difficult but rather unpleasant and obviously designed to get you extra muddy before the finish line.
  • Slip wall - An angled wall with a rope to help you get up. You could run up and grab a shorter rope with knots in it but risk slipping and falling back down. I chose the conservation route which was the long rope with no knots. Despite being muddy I didn't slip and made it up easily. While at the top an women almost made it up and yelled for help so I grabbed her hand and help her haul herself over.
  • Fire jump - Woot.
I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some stuff. There were 4 full climbs (i.e. walk/run all the way up the hill which was over 100m elevation change) plus two where we went partway up. I can even see some of it on the pics my wife took but can't remember what exactly happened.
We are now discussing what to do next. There is a Trifecta weekend in September (Sprint, Super, Beast on Fri/Sat/Sun) that we will probably attend. I originally thought i wanted to do the Sprint so I could go hard and see how fast I could do it but it's a different course, much flatter, so the times from last year are a lot faster. Really, I want to redo the course from last weekend. So for that reason we might try the Super in Sept which has average times around 2:30 (compared to 3:30 at last weekend's course) and then do the Brimacombe Sprint in 2019. I feel like I have some unfinished business with that course :)

Made a small album with pics that my wife took:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pjF2MM5wB8Fz17S19

The Spartan Sprint sent out a link with their own pics but it seems incomplete as their is only one picture of me and I know they took more. Hopefully more will be uploaded tomorrow and I can add them too.

Oh, and I'm going to drink some of my new Whisky....I haven't drunk at all this week due to being the only parent around, just incase something required me to drive for the boys in an emergency.

#responsible

Seems to me that you have earned yourself a bottle of this:

https://pursuitist.com/last-drop-50-year-old-whiskey-worth-4000-till-last-drop/

Apparently the guys who make it cruise around the distilleries in Scotland trying to find old barrels of whiskey that were forgotten about and gathering dust, buy they and them finish them off (transfer them to new barrels, sometimes blend), then bottle.

They also do 'taster' sets- two miniatures for five hundred quid...

Did a write-up in my log about the race. Includes a link to some photos. I'm still waiting on the "pro" photos. They sent out a link but it seems to be missing a lot.
Nice work Dr and you are looking great - the diet is paying off!

Seems to me that you have earned yourself a bottle of this:

https://pursuitist.com/last-drop-50-year-old-whiskey-worth-4000-till-last-drop/

Apparently the guys who make it cruise around the distilleries in Scotland trying to find old barrels of whiskey that were forgotten about and gathering dust, buy they and them finish them off (transfer them to new barrels, sometimes blend), then bottle.

They also do 'taster' sets- two miniatures for five hundred quid...

Wow. Do you need my address?

Wow. Do you need my address?

If/when I win the lottery, I will send you one. Or one of their other products of equal quality. Until then, you will have to settle for me informing you of its existence.

So, it's Friday again - weekend plans Pub?

I'm working from home today so I can attend my youngest son's sports day, will get some benching in aswell.

Tomorrow we're going to a friend's who are having a hog roast - so that will be awesome.

Sunday no real plans, may take the boys to the park and perhaps visit my mum.

So, it's Friday again - weekend plans Pub?

I'm working from home today so I can attend my youngest son's sports day, will get some benching in aswell.

Tomorrow we're going to a friend's who are having a hog roast - so that will be awesome.

Sunday no real plans, may take the boys to the park and perhaps visit my mum.

It's Canada Day weekend so I have Monday off. We're also in a heat warning where temperatures are to sore over 35 degrees without humidity. Add humidity and we're taking mid 40's. This is a dangerous spot to be in around here since it isn't the norm and so people are generally not prepared.

There's a hydroplane regatta happening in Brockville this weekend so I'll take in some of the races. I'm going to paint my deck, watching the Trews perform Saturday night and we're celebrating my daughter's second birthday on Sunday.

Besides getting me into lifting properly and making me grow a beard, the best thing Sherdog ever did for me is definitely this chili-recipe by @Urban. I'm making a huge pot of this today to eat it in the following days and I'll be in heaven when I come home after rugby practice and the stuff is finally done.

The above recipe made my testicles ascend in horror. You are not to put beans in chili. Ever. As it happens I made chili tonight, and here's about what I used:

1.33 lbs ground beef
3 pieces of bacon
.5 lbs sausage (my grocery store sells "breakfast sausage." It's pork, it's seasoned, it's ready to be made into patties, and it's tastey)
2 shallots (finely chopped)
1 onion (finely chopped)
1-2 cups strong coffee
1 bottle beer (I used corona extra cause that's all I had on hand, but a good ale would be much better) ... an extra bottle for the chef is good
1 chipotle pepper in abodo sauce (not one can, one pepper, chopped fine. You can add more peppers for more heat if you like)
2 tsp coco powder
2-3 tsp honey
2 dried ancho chile peppers (deseeded and chopped fine. I grind mine in a coffee grinder.)
2 dried california chile peppers (deseeded and chopped fine, again I grind mine in a coffee grinder instead of chopping them)
1.5 tsp liquid smoke
1-2 tsp chili poder
2-3 tsp cumin
7 oz tomato paste
8 oz salsa

Grind bacon (i used a food processor). Season all meat with chili powder, salt and pepper, brown all meat in a 5 qt dutch oven (the only pot you need for this recipe). remove from pot and sweat (not saute) onions garlic and chile peppers over med-low heat until onions are soft. Add everything else, slap the lid on and let it sit on a low flame for for 3-4 hours, stirring every 30-40 minutes.

It's chili, it's manly, and it's not this foo-foo turkey chili and kidney bean stuff. It seems like a big list, but mostly chili is a concoction of shit you have around your kitchen (salsa, chlli powder, chile peppers, tomato paste, honey, coco powder, beer, coffee, onions, cumin and shallots were all things I had just sitting around. You can do well with a lot less). In fact, real chile con carne is defined only by three ingredients: meat, cumin, and chile peppers. Chili is about the chile peppers, the sooner you recognize that, the better off you'll be.

Just heading home from a family weekend at the cottage. It's fuuuuuckking hot but we survived with lots of umbrellas on the beach and fans on the deck (and A/C inside for sleeping). I watched the sunset with my son last night which was a very sweet moment as I spent many summers as a kid watching the same sunset and it still blows my mind sometimes that I have a son to share it with now.

On the booze front, tried a bunch of cider from the Brickworks Ciderhouse and they were all quite good. They are all pretty dry, not oversweet like a lot of cider.

Happy Canada Day!

I originally had the weekend off, but worked a crap ton of overtime instead. Besides the heat being a killer, work wasn’t as busy as I assumed it would be.

Looking forward to this 4 day weekend coming up (shift work is sweet sometimes). Gonna go catch a Blue Jays game with the girlfriend on Sunday, relax and fish the rest of the time.

Today is the last foreseeable day of waking up at 430 for work. Monday I take on a new role with a more consistent and lighter work schedule. The physicality of the new role will be reduced as well.

Today is the last foreseeable day of waking up at 430 for work. Monday I take on a new role with a more consistent and lighter work schedule. The physicality of the new role will be reduced as well.
Nice Aleks, early starts take their toll after a while. What time will you have to get up for your new role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back