Be Honest: do you even train throws/takedowns at your BJJ academy?

I love the seatbelt as BJJ guy, as I can pull into a super good half guard from there.
I'm surprised that more wrestlers don't play a lucas leite style half guard.

Wrestlers in BJJ aren't on bottom ;)

I love the seatbelt as BJJ guy, as I can pull into a super good half guard from there.
I'm surprised that more wrestlers don't play a lucas leite style half guard.
Because quite frankly not that many Bjj coaches know enough wrestling to encourage it

And Because a good chunk of Bjj Schools try to force wrestlers to do “proper” Bjj... shrug. Is what it is

And Because a good chunk of Bjj Schools try to force wrestlers to do “proper” Bjj... shrug. Is what it is

They do kind of have a point in that it makes sense to learn the good moves people win at the high level in BJJ and reinforce them with wrestling where it makes sense too rather than use a mix of improvised things and trying to apply existing techniques in a way that doesn't make sense in a different rule set.

They do kind of have a point in that it makes sense to learn the good moves people win at the high level in BJJ and reinforce them with wrestling where it makes sense too rather than use a mix of improvised things and trying to apply existing techniques in a way that doesn't make sense in a different rule set.
I’m not talking about improvised stuff.

Man, I hate no-gi judo stuff some much. In my unpleasant experiences the judo guys always stuff that lands you in insane trouble if it doesn't work and they can do it without gi grips only because they do it on people with zero wrestling and they have spends loads of time on it.

Low percentage stuff that gets you in trouble like doubles, singles, ankle pics, suplex, head and arm, lateral drop, fireman's, inside / outside reaps etc?

Off grips like Russian tie, whizzer, wrist control, pinch headlock?

Yeah nah :)

Last edited:
Low percentage stuff that gets you in trouble like doubles, singles, ankle pics, suplex, head and arm, lateral drop, fireman's, inside / outside reaps etc?

Can't imagine why someone would be against wrestlers using such things.

they're taught but hobbyists in their 30s will get hurt too frequently by the young guys who just came out of HS or collegiate wrestling...but definitely single, double, firemans, ankle picks

a lot of clubs that claimed to be mma only did bjj and muai thai, it used to shit me. thankfully they seem to practice a bit more wrestling these days.

We don't do takedowns enough, luckily a kid who was a high school wrestler started training with us, so me and him practice takedowns after class

When I used to train BJJ, my instructor said he actually liked wrestling more than BJJ, which was strange, but we used to spend entire classes drilling single legs and Duck Under takedowns from the clinch.

Yes! And, I would love to figure out if there is a way to not jar myself so much or crush my shoulder when drilling. I know I need to practice these more, but I worry about putting extra wear and tear on my body. I'm not sure if it's something I just have to get used to, or if I just don't know how to fall properly. I know breakfalls but still...

they teach all of that at my academy but it is definitely unusual--lots of visitors come in and are baffled by concepts like basic single leg entries

and then you have the judo guys who want to just use their judo throws and don't like getting down into wrestling stance because they're used to gi grips

Not as often as I'd like but yes we do since half our stable competes regularly in BJJ/MMA.

Space is limited at our gym but yeah we do practice takedowns.

they teach all of that at my academy but it is definitely unusual--lots of visitors come in and are baffled by concepts like basic single leg entries

and then you have the judo guys who want to just use their judo throws and don't like getting down into wrestling stance because they're used to gi grips

??? These are judo techniques. I dunno what to tell you; some guys are purists.

I forgot to add: the last time we trained takedowns was before a competition. Where some of the guys were determined to learn takedowns and how to standing grapple within like 20 minutes.. it was pretty funny to watch. Some wrestlers/judoka from my gym (myself included) have a class solely focused on takedowns and standing grappling (with and without a gi). This is at the bjj gym.

Yeah seriously.

All the reaps, trips, sweeps and more from Judo work great in no gi with adapted grips.

Fuckin A I've hit Sesae Tsuri Komi Ashi and De Ashi Barai in no gi you just need to practice.

It's not really groundbreaking stuff, trips and reaps are likely older than the written word.

Back