Please critique my bag form (boxing)

the_winding_way

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recorded some bag work today. I don't get much gym time these days, this is all I've got. Comments and critique would be appreciated. Some notes:

- I was already 6 rounds of moderate work in, so not fresh
- I'm a natural southpaw working the other side
- My plan was to record myself doing singles/sitting down on my punches, so I could study my technique. That's not what happened obviously
- Lately I've been trying to pay more attention to my weight balance as I tend to be front footed
- I can see that I'm flaring my elbows in my crosses. This is because I've lately been focusing on corkscrewing my punches, to the extent that my fist is almost vertically rotated internally - but this doesn't look right
- I'm fairly green at boxing, coming from other ma backgrounds

Thanks chaps.

Why do you practice both stances? No need for boxing really unless you are very very advanced and then again ... not really needed
Stance too wide which leads to obviously steps being too big
Punching technique is okay
For gods sake you are boxing removing the fucking headphones

Good defense, headmovement and hands up high

Nice sharp shots

Good movement and changing of distance

I liked it

You look decent. I think you lead with your face a little bit - but its hard to critique from short videos because we don't know your level or what you've been working on. I'd say just keep it up, you're on the right track, it'll all fall into place, just be careful not to have a base quite so wide

Hi all,

Recorded some bag work today. I don't get much gym time these days, this is all I've got. Comments and critique would be appreciated. Some notes:

- My plan was to record myself doing singles/sitting down on my punches, so I could study my technique. That's not what happened obviously
- Lately I've been trying to pay more attention to my weight balance as I tend to be front footed
- I can see that I'm flaring my elbows in my crosses. This is because I've lately been focusing on corkscrewing my punches, to the extent that my fist is almost vertically rotated internally - but this doesn't look right

Thanks chaps.

i find wall mirrors behind bags to be extremely annoying.

Why do you practice both stances? No need for boxing really unless you are very very advanced and then again ... not really needed
Stance too wide which leads to obviously steps being too big
Punching technique is okay
For gods sake you are boxing removing the fucking headphones

I'm working orthodox because I have neck problems that southpaw exacerbates. So I have to consider making the switch long term. Also I've found that sparring is more fun orthodox so I don't mind.
Wide stance is from my MA background and it feels comfortable to me. This is the first time I've seen tape of myself 'boxing' so thanks for the feedback as I would've never picked it up myself.
The next time I put my headphones on before bagwork I will dedicate it to you :D

You look decent. I think you lead with your face a little bit - but its hard to critique from short videos because we don't know your level or what you've been working on. I'd say just keep it up, you're on the right track, it'll all fall into place, just be careful not to have a base quite so wide

Thanks, I think you may be spot on with leading with the face. Specifically, do you mean that my head should be further back above my centre of gravity as I come in, or that my chin is out - or both? My coach tells me to keep my chin down pretty much every time I spar.
Someone else commented on my wide stance. I'll look into what happens if I shorten it up.
My level is pretty wet behind the ears in boxing, only maybe 30 rounds sparring under me.

Like others said, I would focus on your Southpaw then if that's your jam.

I think overall there is nothing super glaring. Seems like you have a solid base of the fundamentals. The only thing I can't tell is if you're closing your fists or not when you're throwing a strike.

Like others said, I would focus on your Southpaw then if that's your jam.

I think overall there is nothing super glaring. Seems like you have a solid base of the fundamentals. The only thing I can't tell is if you're closing your fists or not when you're throwing a strike.

Because I've developed neck problems that working in southpaw seem to exacerbate. So it's either don't box or work in orthodox. But as I said to someone else, I've found sparring orthodox to be more fun anyway.

Yeah they're distracting but it's all I've got. This is not a boxing gym, it's just my local gym.
i get that. you work with what you have got. i picked it for a fitness gym, as they just love doing that. most people are more worried about how awesome they look punching, than how awesome their punching looks.

Thanks, I think you may be spot on with leading with the face. Specifically, do you mean that my head should be further back above my centre of gravity as I come in, or that my chin is out - or both? My coach tells me to keep my chin down pretty much every time I spar.
Someone else commented on my wide stance. I'll look into what happens if I shorten it up.
My level is pretty wet behind the ears in boxing, only maybe 30 rounds sparring under me.

Chin definitely needs to be down, but I think you lean forward at the waist a little bit as you come in. We've got a thread on cuban boxing fundamentals that could be useful to you - also it'd be worth looking at this:

I'm working orthodox because I have neck problems that southpaw exacerbates. So I have to consider making the switch long term. Also I've found that sparring is more fun orthodox so I don't mind.
Wide stance is from my MA background and it feels comfortable to me. This is the first time I've seen tape of myself 'boxing' so thanks for the feedback as I would've never picked it up myself.
The next time I put my headphones on before bagwork I will dedicate it to you :D

Well neck problems explain it.

Well if your goal is competing in boxing - you will need to fix this stance as it literally shortens your punching. I can already see your cross is short and you will limit yourself for the usage of half steps and jabs for example and other stuff that widening your stance as a fake can give you such as pull counters for example.

Please do not put headphones on when boxing. It really looks like posing and not respecting the sport and your own work. You are not running for example, although I would not put headphones when running or lifting weights either. I personally have the need to hear what is going on around me and myself breathing.

Well neck problems explain it.

Well if your goal is competing in boxing - you will need to fix this stance as it literally shortens your punching. I can already see your cross is short and you will limit yourself for the usage of half steps and jabs for example and other stuff that widening your stance as a fake can give you such as pull counters for example.

Please do not put headphones on when boxing. It really looks like posing and not respecting the sport and your own work. You are not running for example, although I would not put headphones when running or lifting weights either. I personally have the need to hear what is going on around me and myself breathing.

i think thats an ear protector

Like previously said, your stance is very wide. You would move better and quicker and probably be less frontfoot heavy if you have a more narrow stance.

Your boxing technique looks pretty good though, I like how you make sure to keep your guard up. We have alot of the same habits, haha. I bet you'll do pretty good!

Hi all,

Thanks chaps.

Pretty good in general - you might want to add longer combinations with angle changes (slip and hook or uppercut for example) as your throw, it'll help with your footwork, which is pretty wide and slows you down.

You also tend to plant both feet just before you throw - this is okay against a stationary opponent (one you have against the ropes for instance), but is going to be a problem against a boxer with good movement (think of trying to hit say Mayweather like that). If one foot (typically but not necessarily the lead) moves even an inch it'll change the way you react to a moving opponent, allowing you to automatically adjust to their movement with your feet rather than leaning over to get extra inches.

You can find tapes of guys like Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler (to take guys about your size), watch what they do with their feet as they punch - always at least slightly in motion unless the other guy is really caught against the ropes, and often even then.

What is the neck problem? It's a bit of a red flag when people start with a list of disqualifying statements. I had bad neck problems and never switched stances, neck issues are usually posture problems

Back