The knee thread!

That last guy is making big mistakes though.

badknee.png

He is driving his knee back before driving it in. This is unnecessary, it makes your path of tractory extra long and it leaves you open to a guy with a shorter knee-path-trajectory (see photo below). Lastly he is projecting what he is doing by driving his hip back first.

You must learn to drive in the knee from a neutral stance (see photo below).

good_knee.png

The second thing that you see often with beginners making knees has to do with defense.

Screenshot_from_2018_06_29_20_37_41.png

Dropping your hands while kneeing is not a good idea. Closing your eyes and looking to the ground is also a bad idea when executing any attacking action. For proper defense look again at the thai fighter: he is protecting is head with his fore arm while kneeing.

Dude I ignored you after the first 2 comments of yours I ever read a while back. This thread is supposed to be informative, dont fill it with your nonsense.

what if he headbutts him, slaps him, farts for skunk attack defense tactics, and then does a spinning crane kick? <Lmaoo>

upload_2018-6-29_14-4-52.png

<JonesDXSuckIt>

take a look at how he throws his outside knees here. I have not seen them done like this before really, or ever tried it. huge circular motion from up top.

That's very similar to how I've been taught to throw side knees. Take a small side step, open the hip way up, bring the knee in with the point delivering the force rather than the side of the knee. Very big circle at the hips.

Dude I ignored you after the first 2 comments of yours I ever read a while back. This thread is supposed to be informative, dont fill it with your nonsense.

what if he headbutts him, slaps him, farts for skunk attack defense tactics, and then does a spinning crane kick? <Lmaoo>

View attachment 399535

<JonesDXSuckIt>
As this is an informative thread about kneeing, that people that are new might read, I pointed out two (beginners) mistakes that I have come across often, and are often overlooked. The guy in the video happened to make them. You are playing a role in which you seem to be one of the few authorities that is capable of talking about placing proper knees. Its laughable. Let people decide for themselves what they find useful and what they find not.

Last edited:
You should apply your statement to yourself buddy ;)
I'm not saying that you are wrong about kneeing quite the opposite. I have nothing to add in regards to technique the only thing that I wanted to mention in the first post is that it is important to think about the knee from a setup perspective.

Last edited:
That's very similar to how I've been taught to throw side knees. Take a small side step, open the hip way up, bring the knee in with the point delivering the force rather than the side of the knee. Very big circle at the hips.

yeah, what was interesting was rather than coming out in a circular motion, his circular motion was coming from over the top, attacking at a downward angle. I never saw that before.

upload_2018-6-29_15-34-10.png

rather than this way

A21-CircleArrow-Green.png

It's fine with me if you think so, but let people decide for themselves and I don't mind staying on topic.

awesome, so lets get back on topic than.

"He is driving his knee back before driving it in." this knee he is doing is a type of knee, swing back knee. You swing the leg back to get more power.

"Lastly he is projecting what he is doing by driving his hip back first." swing back knee.

"Dropping your hands while kneeing is not a good idea." I will give you this, obviously we try to keep our hands up as much as possible. But just like you swing your arm in the kick, you also swing your arm in the knee, to reduce the opening, you can keep your arm in bent position when you swing it, rather than extending it like you do in a kick.

watch dieselnoi on the thai pads, check his arm/hand positions while kneeing. You dont keep 2 hands up in the "guard" position when you knee. It doesnt work/flow smoothly with body mechanics to generate any power.

"Closing your eyes and looking to the ground is also a bad idea when executing any attacking action." not sure why you brought this up, although common sense would say when you do anything that requires use of your eyes, you might want to keep them open.

awesome, so lets get back on topic than.

"He is driving his knee back before driving it in." this knee he is doing is a type of knee, swing back knee. You swing the leg back to get more power.

"Lastly he is projecting what he is doing by driving his hip back first." swing back knee.

"Dropping your hands while kneeing is not a good idea." I will give you this, obviously we try to keep our hands up as much as possible. But just like you swing your arm in the kick, you also swing your arm in the knee, to reduce the opening, you can keep your arm in bent position when you swing it, rather than extending it like you do in a kick.

watch dieselnoi on the thai pads, check his arm/hand positions while kneeing. You dont keep 2 hands up in the "guard" position when you knee. It doesnt work/flow smoothly with body mechanics to generate any power.

"Closing your eyes and looking to the ground is also a bad idea when executing any attacking action." not sure why you brought this up, although common sense would say when you do anything that requires use of your eyes, you might want to keep them open.

It might have it's place when you need to make space for an defending opponent. It's just that I do not prefer them to regular straight knees. If fighter A drives his hip back, the fighter B can place a straight knee first because the trajectory is shorter. Great Dieselnoi video his knees are perfect.

It might have it's place when you need to make space for an defending opponent. It's just that I do not prefer them to regular straight knees. If fighter A drives his hip back, the fighter B can place a straight knee first because the trajectory is shorter. Great Dieselnoi video his knees are perfect.

ok, now your making some sense and I agree with you. but the timing to do so would have to be almost simultaneously.

Last edited:
yeah, what was interesting was rather than coming out in a circular motion, his circular motion was coming from over the top, attacking at a downward angle. I never saw that before.

View attachment 399549

rather than this way

A21-CircleArrow-Green.png

Yep, that's what I was trying to describe. My coach is a Chai Sirisute guy, don't know if there's a connection or not but that's the angle he teaches.

Yep, that's what I was trying to describe. My coach is a Chai Sirisute guy, don't know if there's a connection or not but that's the angle he teaches.

I bet there is, I have been meaning to get out to bryan popejoys gym one of these days, his wife is Chais daughter so I would bet he has similar teaching methods.

there is some really useful material posted here. i wasn't aware that the swing back knee was a different kind of knee (thats how i throw it) and i wasn't aware of the different ways of chambering a knee. (i'm more of a boxer)

there is some really useful material posted here. i wasn't aware that the swing back knee was a different kind of knee (thats how i throw it) and i wasn't aware of the different ways of chambering a knee. (i'm more of a boxer)

good dude, im really hoping to keep this thread going and good and clean despite the crap posts i made earlier with machinegun. the argument did elaborate on some more techniques that should be brought up I think, such as the hand position and movement when kneeing.

i have seen there are different thoughts on leaning back as you throw the knee (this i how i throw it) i have never had a lot of proper muai thai instruction so i was wondering what you think about leaning back slightly as you knee? shit idea or valid technique.

i have seen there are different thoughts on leaning back as you throw the knee (this i how i throw it) i have never had a lot of proper muai thai instruction so i was wondering what you think about leaning back slightly as you knee? shit idea or valid technique.

It's about how you use your hip that determines the power of the knee. So there is a spectrum there. By leaning back slightly you can drive the hip in more. By not leaning back, or by leaning back too much, you can not use maximum leverage of driving the hip in, so it's all about the sweet spot in terms of leaning back. You need to experiment yourself at what point you feel the most power.

Last edited:

i would say learn them all.

the lean back is the most common and generally the first learned, probably also the most used knee.

You dont need to over do it on the lean back, just a bit, to pop the hip forward a bit.

The knee video posted by namsaknoi is great. I would suggest trying to learn from that.

Silly me who always thought that kicking the leg back before a knee was a standard type of knee in the clinch...

but wait! It is

Are me and Shin the only knee fighters on this board?

Back