Help with gloves for a noob

James Beal

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I bought some Twins special for bag/pad work. My first time on the heavy bag left me with a very sore middle knuckle. When I make a fist in the glove, it puts pressure on that knuckle. It's uncomfortable, to say the least. I'm thinking about picking up a dedicated bag glove and saving the Twins for sparring in the future. What's good for hitting the bag?

I bought some Twins special for bag/pad work. My first time on the heavy bag left me with a very sore middle knuckle. When I make a fist in the glove, it puts pressure on that knuckle. It's uncomfortable, to say the least. I'm thinking about picking up a dedicated bag glove and saving the Twins for sparring in the future. What's good for hitting the bag?

This could be more of an issue of the glove not being broken in than it not having enough padding. They should get more comfortable with use as the leather becomes less stiff and the foam molds to your hands. What size glove are you using and do you wrap your hands?

The Twins are a 16 oz, and I do 4 across the wrist, 4 across the knuckles, between the fingers and finish at the wrist. Snug on the wrist, but I give my fingers room to flex.

I really don't want to injure my knuckle and have to rest. I'm sure they have enough padding, but I'm wondering if they have enough room for my big hands. Would something that offered a little more feedback to let me know that my punches are landing proper help? I have some of the Winning gel pads on the way to help with the heavy bag until my hands get tough.

I have 16oz twins for sparring and 14oz for pads. It took a few weeks to break in the 16oz. Had to use them on the heavy bag before they felt comfortable.

I also use Twins for pads, but for heavy bag workout I prefer Top Ten 16 Oz because they have the best padding for my soft knuckles.

The Twins are a 16 oz, and I do 4 across the wrist, 4 across the knuckles, between the fingers and finish at the wrist. Snug on the wrist, but I give my fingers room to flex.

I really don't want to injure my knuckle and have to rest. I'm sure they have enough padding, but I'm wondering if they have enough room for my big hands. Would something that offered a little more feedback to let me know that my punches are landing proper help? I have some of the Winning gel pads on the way to help with the heavy bag until my hands get tough.

I don't think more feedback is what you're looking for, given that your issue is knuckle pain, the denser padding used in bag gloves will typically last longer than the softer foam, but the drawback to that would be less protection, usually.

I would either hit lighter or find a lighter bag just while breaking them in, or use the winning guards with them until you feel they've been broken in.

I don't think more feedback is what you're looking for, given that your issue is knuckle pain, the denser padding used in bag gloves will typically last longer than the softer foam, but the drawback to that would be less protection, usually.

I would either hit lighter or find a lighter bag just while breaking them in, or use the winning guards with them until you feel they've been broken in.

I'll stick with them. Thank you for the advice.

Back