Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Cool. I looked on Reddit and some forum to see if I could get an answer but they were pretty conflicting. One guy said it needed a small form power supply, another guy said any standard one would do, and so on. Anyway, I guess I'll get that one. Cheers.
FSP's website states the size as 140x150x86, which is the standard ATX size.

will my 290x see any gains from being teamed with a 8700k?

Yes and no, depending on your current CPU the 8700k is a great (sometimes, a few reviews hate it as a mess of a cpu always do your own research) it will take a bit of the strain for games that allow/support multi core cpu's and hyperthreading. However it won't be a huge jump maybe 5 - 10 fps and possibly 15 - 20 if you're incredibly lucky. You may be better off buying a 1070 or 1070ti. But if you're happy to upgrade your cpu (and probably your motherboard unless you have a 370z board already) then you might find it give enough of a boost to be worthy.

I don't think you should expect much higher than 94% in the field. You might be able to get 98% or 99% with direct line of sight in the same room.

Yeah so far it's sitting on 92% average after 10 hours of monitoring and 3 hours of gaming. Not half bad.

Sooo my old dead fx8350 was the old processor. Ill move gpu, but im team shifting now

Sooo my old dead fx8350 was the old processor. Ill move gpu, but im team shifting now

Ahh, the FX8350 today is not a great cpu. I bought a computer two years ago after 5 years of not playing PC, I thought AMD was still good and 8 cores seemed like a dream. I Got the FX8350 and I was very disappointed with how lackluster it was.

I ended up building my own PC 6 months later

i5 6600k
212 Evo X cooler
GTX 1070
Asus Sabertooth S board
SSD & Hard drive
16gb ram

Now after continuing to upgrade
my PC is

i7 7700k
Noctua NH-D15 cooler
GTX 1070
Asus Sabertooth S
2 SSD's + Harddrive
32 GB ram

Welcome to team bleu.

not there yet, im coming though. im waiting to see what kind of 4th of July sales go down at micro center, And them im switching sides. Funny how its seems right as i switch, amd starts to bring it

Ahh, the FX8350 today is not a great cpu. I bought a computer two years ago after 5 years of not playing PC, I thought AMD was still good and 8 cores seemed like a dream. I Got the FX8350 and I was very disappointed with how lackluster it was.

i5 6600k
212 Evo X cooler
GTX 1070
Asus Sabertooth S board
SSD & Hard drive
16gb ram

my PC is

i7 7700k
Noctua NH-D15 cooler
GTX 1070
Asus Sabertooth S
2 SSD's + Harddrive
32 GB ram

i love amd, but ugh im obsessed with cooling.

i5 6600k
212 Evo X cooler
GTX 1070
Asus Sabertooth S board
SSD & Hard drive
16gb ram

my PC is

i7 7700k
Noctua NH-D15 cooler
GTX 1070
Asus Sabertooth S
2 SSD's + Harddrive
32 GB ram
In defense of the FX-8350 it was released in October 2012 at $199, and there are still only a handful of games that require a Ryzen processor (or better) to run at Minimum Settings. The i5-3570 debuted for $205 in June 2012.
UserBenchmark: AMD FX-8350 vs Intel Core i5-3570
While the 3570 probably enjoyed better framerates on most games throughout its prime it didn't hang on as long with the most demanding titles. Those extra four cores gave the FX-8350 ~25% more processing power. Recent example of where this matters is Project Cars 2:
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=23302&game=Project CARS 2&pc
You'll see the i7-3770 or i5-4690 quoted as the cutoff for a minimum Intel processor on many titles opposite that FX-8350. The i5-3570 tapped out first.

But yeah, for hardcore gamers, right now the 8th gen i5/i7 processors are king.
will my 290x see any gains from being teamed with a 8700k?

You should definitely see a substantial improvement in performance across some games (this will be even greater @1440p where you game):

CPU_01.png

In defense of the FX-8350 it was released in October 2012 at $199, and there are still only a handful of games that require a Ryzen processor (or better) to run at Minimum Settings. The i5-3570 debuted for $205 in June 2012.
While the 3570 probably enjoyed better framerates on most games throughout its prime it didn't hang on as long with the most demanding titles. Those extra four cores gave the FX-8350 ~25% more processing power. Recent example of where this matters is Project Cars 2:
You'll see the i7-3770 or i5-4690 quoted as the cutoff for a minimum Intel processor on many titles opposite that FX-8350. The i5-3570 tapped out first.

You should definitely see a substantial improvement in performance across some games (this will be even greater @1440p where you game):

I'll throw this into the ring. Games like Mount & Blade, Fallout, Skyrim and a few others run more than well enough on an FX 8350. The biggest disadvantage to it was the fact that 75% of Intel cores could get a better performance from one core than an 8350 could get with 8. It was made at the wrong time, when very few games actually utilized more than one core, hell today most games still don't instead they'll cycle through the cores rather than using all at once. The 8350 was a processor that had it of been released today (aka the Ryzen) it would have been a big win for AMD. The problem is it came out at a time when AMD needed a win and instead they released a budget CPU with a high amount of cores that wasn't well optimized or utilized. AMD is on the way back up while Intel is sort of staying flat with not a huge difference between a 6700k, 7700k & 8700k. If AMD can continue to push Intel it can only be good for the PC community. For far too long Intel was top dog with no real competition other than the darling of budget PC builders AMD. With Ryzen they stepped back into the frontlines which they should have done with the RX GPU's that fell flat on release because of the power/PCI killing issues.

If you are an AMD fan instead of switching to Intel you could take the risk and run Ryzen which right now are a very decent CPU.

If you are an AMD fan instead of switching to Intel you could take the risk and run Ryzen which right now are a very decent CPU.

There is no risk running Ryzen. I would recommend Ryzen hands down for anyone building a PC right now.

CPU_01.png

this is good! im really looking forward to shifting over to a new team

not there yet, im coming though. im waiting to see what kind of 4th of July sales go down at micro center, And them im switching sides. Funny how its seems right as i switch, amd starts to bring it
If your doing microcenter I would at least glance at the AMD offerings. They had the new six core Ryzen 2 processors with motherboard for like $240 total, not shabby.

What are you talking about?
I see local used/refurb deals that are equal if not slightly better fairly often so it's not a crazy steal. That desktop is upper mid tier by 2014 standards, not crazy that it's price low mid tier oday or that you can build something better for only a couple hundred dollars more like I just did

If your doing microcenter I would at least glance at the AMD offerings. They had the new six core Ryzen 2 processors with motherboard for like $240 total, not shabby.

ill sniff again today, but im very keen on shifting teams. i dont know if theyre having a sale

There is no risk running Ryzen. I would recommend Ryzen hands down for anyone building a PC right now.

You misunderstand what I mean, The risk of running a Ryzen is Intel could possibly bring out a new CPU in the next 6 months that could blow Ryzen out of the water entirely. The danger with PC building is that you're constantly outdated the moment you make it.

I built the 6600k system and within 2 months the 7000 series came out. I've put off buying a 1080 ti because I believe the next series will be out soon.

How much of a piece of junk is a case like this?

I’m starting to research building a budget pc build with some decent power. I haven’t built a computer since the 486 came out, I had a duel mb 2x486 when all my friends had 386’s lol. That’s how far behind the times I am

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16811353057

You misunderstand what I mean, The risk of running a Ryzen is Intel could possibly bring out a new CPU in the next 6 months that could blow Ryzen out of the water entirely. The danger with PC building is that you're constantly outdated the moment you make it.

I built the 6600k system and within 2 months the 7000 series came out. I've put off buying a 1080 ti because I believe the next series will be out soon.

I almost bought a used pc local here but it went quick, had an upgraded 1070 gpu but an older processor. Figured i might be able to save some coin and swap out proc and ram (was ddr3). But it sold fast.

How long has the 1080 been out?

Just ordered a 8700k, ASRock z370 Taichi, 16GB GSkill 4133mhz, CoolerMaster Haf X, Crucial 1TB SSD, and a Noctua NH-l9i CPU cooler.

Keeping my 970 until the series 11 comes out.

Back