One of the most underrated icons in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the legend..

The stuff Roger shows and uses is all great. Rickson shows some retarded get triangled technique. You see better technique at white belt worlds then from Rickson.

I don’t know what to say... Rickson has white belt technique... ok. I’m out.

Did you watch the guard pass video I posted?

Yeah you can’t get triangled, it’s a basic guard pass, and unless you get your posture broken you can’t get triangled.l, then it’s a over under pass, it’s quite usual, and works pretty well unless you fucked up on the process..

Edit: I saw the vid in 2 pieces...

Last edited:
He didn't even teach his own son anything. There is tons of video evidence he sucks.
If you can't see it you need to train a bit more.

Lol “tons”..ok buddy

He gave kron his BB..

Many of the best teams in BJJ today come from a rickson lineage .. as well as fighters ... but somehow he can’t teach ur white belt ass anything ?? Suuuuure

He can't. He might have been crushing CM Punks in Japan but that doesn't mean shit. Man up, compete (sign up for an adult division not some masters over 9000 division) and try using his trash techniques and see how you get triangled.

"But what people don’t know is that I’ve only put my gi on with my dad under 100 times. I’ve been on my own since I was 17. My dad only taught me when I was very young"

Kron on how much Rickson taught him

For the last month in a small Eastern European city :( (Previously in a bigger Eastern European city). I plan to move to somewhere with good BJJ as soon as I can.

To be fair if someone decides to travel all the way here to try to roll me up and teach me a lesson it would be pretty cool as I really lack decent sparring partners.

If they stay up to date great. The ones that stayed way back in the past suck. I wouldn't want to train under say Rickson. And I wouldn't go to his seminar for free.

...huh. I'm guessing you've never rolled with any decent Rickson guys. The notion that their BJJ doesn't work or is somehow obsolete is silly. 'Old school' doesn't have to mean antiquated, for the good old school guys it just means having a game that works in multiple contexts: gi, no-gi, MMA. You can find old school ways to deal with new school techniques, Kron made a career of it. I agree that some of the Gracies especially will demonstrate outdated technique sometimes, but generally speaking old school guys produce very competent students. Especially for MMA, many of the fighters who use BJJ most successfully in the cage come from old school lineages. Frank Mir, for example, is in Sergio Penha's lineage and has trained a lot with him in Vegas. I've learned a lot about positioning and pressure from Rickson lineage guys, it's really silly to think they don't know anything just because they're not berimboloing people at Mundials.

Yeah you can’t get triangled, it’s a basic guard pass, and unless you get your posture broken you can’t get triangled.l, then it’s a over under pass, it’s quite usual, and works pretty well unless you fucked up on the process..

Edit: I saw the vid in 2 pieces...

Yeah people bag on the ‘Gracie gift’ a lot. Yes if you do an approximation of it with bad posture it’ll get you in triangle.

But if you follow the details it totally works. I got a to a while back that helped. For the hand that’s pushing the leg down, if you keep then elbow on the ground. It’s near impossible to get your arm pulled in.

I trained with a rickson black belt for years. very talented dude. crazy pressure. teaches simple but very very effective stuff. to say "rickson sucks" shows a lack of knowledge about bjj for sure. but to say rickson might be a hair "behind the times" with modern jiu jitsu, does make sense to me.

Right from memory of reading an article.

Rickson did not have a BB opponent for a an event.

Serge coach contacted Helio and told him that Sergio would be a good match up.

Helio replied that he could not have a purple belt fighting his BB son.

So they agreed to promote him straight away to BB.

Sergio and rickson almost went on fulltime until rickson got pissed off as he was losing by points. He put pressure on Sergio injured ribs and got the win.

Rickson said he would finished Sergio way earlier but he was tired after spending the whole night at the hospital as he wife gave birth to their first son.

Sergio said that rickson knew about his existing injury but only took advantage of when he was losing by points on the last minute

No bad blood between the two.

Now the questions are.
If the facts above are correct. Rickson wondering against a purple belt.

Where they sand bagging purple belt to be the point he could hang with rickson on an overnight basis? Or was it that rickson was over rated?

Were they some kind of gentleman agreement before the match?

No matter what?
Just like the gracie mythology, they turned anything into a mean propaganda machine.

I mean they manage to make a purple belt lost to a rickson as some kind of extraordinary event and both parties benefited from the encounter and promotion.

Yeah people bag on the ‘Gracie gift’ a lot. Yes if you do an approximation of it with bad posture it’ll get you in triangle.

But if you follow the details it totally works. I got a to a while back that helped. For the hand that’s pushing the leg down, if you keep then elbow on the ground. It’s near impossible to get your arm pulled in.

They way Rickson shows it you will get triangled by anyone half decent.

You can find old school ways to deal with new school techniques, Kron made a career of it.

Kron fights differently than people did in the past. He plays a super aggresive submission oriented game with loop chokes.

Kron fights differently than people did in the past. He plays a super aggresive submission oriented game with loop chokes.

You think loop chokes are some new school thing? That aggression is some new school thing? Kron plays a very generic open guard with the cross collar grip and feet on the hips, snaps people down or collar drags them into loop chokes, comes up on singles, and arm bars people (or sweeps with the threat of the arm bar) from closed guard. Without the gi he guillotines or takes the back and chokes them. You really couldn't get much more old school than his game.

Honestly, old school guys were more aggressive because stalling was much less a part of the meta game and culture than it is now. Not to mention they tended to have better takedowns, so there was very little stalling on the feet. What they didn't do was play as many lapel games, invert as much, or use as many leg entanglement type positions (50/50, SLX) as are used now. They weren't generally as competent of leg lockers as modern players, even under IBJJF rules. The passing and guard games were simpler and they had a stronger preference for closed guard. But they were also more submission focused and much less concerned with shutting down their opponents' games by reaching certain positions like 50/50 to win on points. I generally find old school matches more entertaining than modern ones for that reason.

Back