Cool video with floyd sr

If you go back to my thread where I was talking about not using mitt work you will get a contrast in how to teach.

Sr created one of the greatest fighters to ever walk to this earth and his primary teaching method is pad work.

Theres no right way only your way. Fight what works and do it.

I was going to go to the mayweather gym when I visited vegas, however the guy who supposedly sets it up here on sherdog was total dick. Given that he is one of their employees and a total dick, I did not feel welcomed at all, I will never visit this gym because of this. Instead I went to RJJ gym. Next visit I will probably go to Toccos. I would like to visit mayweathers to learn some of this style padwork, but like I said, imagine you show up, and their employee is like, yeah theres the guy I got into it with on sherdog, might not make for a enjoyable experience.

Well that sucks man. Probably better just going to toccos. Kinda wonder why or what was the motivation for that guy being a dick.

Not a fan of such pad work as I already explained. I only liked when he was attacking them but it is pretty damn static work.

And it has been awhile I dont like working the pads. For me it does not transfer to spars.

Even my friends say that when they watch me on the pads.or.the bag I look good, but.when we spar I do not.

Well that sucks man. Probably better just going to toccos. Kinda wonder why or what was the motivation for that guy being a dick.

Well I called Mayweather gym several times and wasnt able to reach anyone and the voicemail was full, I also emailed with no response, which all makes sense given its popularity and fame, I didnt want to just show up un-announced, and wasnt sure if maybe the gym was not open to the public or you needed special invite or what. So I posted on sherdog how to reach them, he replied and stated he would help, which was great, however I would be a fool to trust a random dude off sherdog, specifically when we had only communicated through sherdog, not personal email, or over the phone. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is. So I continued to attempt to contact the gym and finally did reach someone. This upset him and he proceeded to insult me. It escalated from there. My guess is that he was probably going to get some sort of "cut" for referring me to the gym and when I bypassed him it upset him. So I think that may have been his motivation but, he also just seems to be a dick in general as he is pretty active on sherdog and frequently arguing and insulting people. My guess would be he thinks hes "somebody" for running with the mayweathers. At the end of the day it was poor business practice and customer service.

perhaps it was for the best as a private lesson was insanely expensive vs only $60 at RJJ gym. The coach at RJJ was extremely friendly and polite, he taught me alot, was great padwork, the dude legit taught me rather than just take my money. He welcomed me back the following day to work with his guys but I wasnt able to make it.

Last edited:
Not a fan of such pad work as I already explained. I only liked when he was attacking them but it is pretty damn static work.

And it has been awhile I dont like working the pads. For me it does not transfer to spars.

Even my friends say that when they watch me on the pads.or.the bag I look good, but.when we spar I do not.

im not sure what you mean by static?

This type of padwork has changed the game and is highly effective.

im not sure what you mean by static?

This type of padwork has changed the game and is highly effective.
Well for a 6-7 Usd per hour I can get a coach that will make me move around at.the.ring at least. What I mean by static is that feet are planted and you trow punches which is something I do not like. I rather a pad work where you move while throwing, move before throwing, after and you practice several distances. For example something we do is 1-1-2 to close distance, slip right, 2-1-2 is the.mid range combo. Slip right The step forward with right leg and left uppercut, right uppercut and left hook. Then for example we guard up, he throws a combo on us and we counter with right uppercut, left uppercut, right hook. Then he moves away and makes us chase him with 1-2-1-2.

Another example. He is.comming forward we do 1-1-2 going backwards. Then 2-1-2 going to the right or just a right cross with a pivot to the right. Then other combos or he.comes in and we exchange hooks and etc.

Basically we simulate a.real round with an opponent. Obviously he does not throw a lot but it is very active.

If you go back to my thread where I was talking about not using mitt work you will get a contrast in how to teach.

Sr created one of the greatest fighters to ever walk to this earth and his primary teaching method is pad work.

Theres no right way only your way. Fight what works and do it.

Actually, IMO, the stuff he does bare-handed is even better than the mitt work. I'm not sure why but he's more meticulous when he does the bare-handed instruction and doesn't seem as concerned with how you look as opposed to what you're doing.

Well I called Mayweather gym several times and wasnt able to reach anyone and the voicemail was full, I also emailed with no response, which all makes sense given its popularity and fame, I didnt want to just show up un-announced, and wasnt sure if maybe the gym was not open to the public or you needed special invite or what. So I posted on sherdog how to reach them, he replied and stated he would help, which was great, however I would be a fool to trust a random dude off sherdog, specifically when we had only communicated through sherdog, not personal email, or over the phone. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is. So I continued to attempt to contact the gym and finally did reach someone. This upset him and he proceeded to insult me. It escalated from there. My guess is that he was probably going to get some sort of "cut" for referring me to the gym and when I bypassed him it upset him. So I think that may have been his motivation but, he also just seems to be a dick in general as he is pretty active on sherdog and frequently arguing and insulting people. My guess would be he thinks hes "somebody" for running with the mayweathers. At the end of the day it was poor business practice and customer service.

perhaps it was for the best as a private lesson was insanely expensive vs only $60 at RJJ gym. The coach at RJJ was extremely friendly and polite, he taught me alot, was great padwork, the dude legit taught me rather than just take my money. He welcomed me back the following day to work with his guys but I wasnt able to make it.

It's weird that I know both guys you're talking about personally. I won't mention the Mayweather guy, but I am pretty 100% positive I know who you're speaking of. Never had a problem with him myself, but that Gym is weird in general. You can just turn up but you never know how they're going to treat you. I took two fighters of mine to spar once against some British fighters who paid full memberships. At Tocco's you don't HAVE to pay a daily fee to spar if you're sparring a member of the Gym. And I knew like every second person at Mayweather's, I was actually shocked how many people I knew in there because I hadn't been there in years. But the guy in the office was a total jerk, insisting BOTH my fighters pay $10...to spar. For real? We weren't even there for a full workout, the Gym is owned by a multi-millionaire, and you're demanding $10 when we're there to help paying members? I haven't been back since, that shit just rubbed me the wrong way. I was obviously well-known and respected, and as SOON as we got in the door they were trying to get my guys to spar Tank (Gervonta Davis)...and I would have let them had we not agreed to spar two other Pros first.

As for RJJ's Gym, I'm pretty sure that was Gil Martinez. Gil has always been cool with me, but he has a reputation of being hot or cold. We just got a guy come to Tocco's who left that Gym after 3 days because he said everyone practically ignored him.

Well for a 6-7 Usd per hour I can get a coach that will make me move around at.the.

Great price comparison to a gym located in Vegas <Lmaoo>
6-7$/h may be possible in a third world country but thats it. I just picture asking my coach about a private session for 10$ :D

And if you want to judge Floyd Sr. pad work well there is a very easy way to do: Just look at the tiny success his son and other fighters had with it.

Never judge a whole teaching system with some small video clips. I would also never judge Toccos no pad work policy without personal experience with it. If you have success with it, it works end of story and there are different ways to reach the same goal.

It's weird that I know both guys you're talking about personally. I won't mention the Mayweather guy, but I am pretty 100% positive I know who you're speaking of. Never had a problem with him myself, but that Gym is weird in general. You can just turn up but you never know how they're going to treat you. I took two fighters of mine to spar once against some British fighters who paid full memberships. At Tocco's you don't HAVE to pay a daily fee to spar if you're sparring a member of the Gym. And I knew like every second person at Mayweather's, I was actually shocked how many people I knew in there because I hadn't been there in years. But the guy in the office was a total jerk, insisting BOTH my fighters pay $10...to spar. For real? We weren't even there for a full workout, the Gym is owned by a multi-millionaire, and you're demanding $10 when we're there to help paying members? I haven't been back since, that shit just rubbed me the wrong way. I was obviously well-known and respected, and as SOON as we got in the door they were trying to get my guys to spar Tank (Gervonta Davis)...and I would have let them had we not agreed to spar two other Pros first.

As for RJJ's Gym, I'm pretty sure that was Gil Martinez. Gil has always been cool with me, but he has a reputation of being hot or cold. We just got a guy come to Tocco's who left that Gym after 3 days because he said everyone practically ignored him.

Yes im sure you know who Im talking of, I didnt want to name drop either. I think most people would agree I didnt do anything wrong as far as how I went about trying to train there, and my logical actions upset him. He also got upset when I referred to him as a random dude because I didnt know who he was. Seems he thinks hes a famous or a "somebody" or whatnot.

Yeah for RJJ's it was Gil Martinez, he was extremely friendly to me, I made friends with him rather than just some random that showed up. He is friends with a retired Muay Thai fighter I am friends with as well. The fight community is so small, whether its boxing muay thai or mma, everyone knows eachother.

I was interested in visiting one kicks gym as well as they have thai trainer lookchang sitchang, however when I called, I only got to speak with the "front office girl" who stated he charges $200 a hour for a private lesson, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Great price comparison to a gym located in Vegas <Lmaoo>
6-7$/h may be possible in a third world country but thats it. I just picture asking my coach about a private session for 10$ :D

And if you want to judge Floyd Sr. pad work well there is a very easy way to do: Just look at the tiny success his son and other fighters had with it.

Never judge a whole teaching system with some small video clips. I would also never judge Toccos no pad work policy without personal experience with it. If you have success with it, it works end of story and there are different ways to reach the same goal.

I just said I do not like such pad work. I have posted in one of shinchecking's pad work videos and I did not like the work there too. He explained he has asked to work on something very specific which satisfies him, so I did not question further forward.

As I already said I do not like doing pads at all nowadays. It just does not translate for me into spars. It is very different for me personally. Pads and other kinds of practicing without a real oponent for me personally is just a technique practice with someone that can correct your form. While this is good, I do not see it benefical to learn to fight as fighting in general is very different.

I do soccer as a second sport so I will do a small comparison.

Pad work = soccer dribbling technique drills. You practice them to improve the technique. However if there is no opponent really and you just dribble past cones is very different from your local Sunday League guy that charges with both legs forward to tackle you, the second he sees your left arm dropped down for a fake... or from the guy that breaths in your neck and pressures you non stop and leaves you no space at all.

So you practice technique and how possibly you can do it, which is fine. It is kind of visialising with sort of feeling it, sort of getting motor paterns. However these 100-200 USD per hour motorn paterns are kind of expensive really, dont you think? And in the end the coach in front of you holds pads and corrects your technique, nothing less, nothing more. The rest you learn on the ring, which is very very different from what you have practiced on the pads or with the cones.

Hope you get the point. I do not rate pad work much, I do not rate this kind of pad work show of the videos at all. Lastly I wont pay even 6 USD per hour for dribbling past cones.

@Ilk
I get your point and I think no one has a problem with you training like that. Works for you. Its just that you tend to generalize sometimes and talk down on it like its a faulty training no one should use.

But its all good ;)

I only got to speak with the "front office girl" who stated he charges $200 a hour for a private lesson, which is ridiculous.

Wow never heard of privates this expensive. I dont think even Saenchai charges that much.

I was going to go to the mayweather gym when I visited vegas, however the guy who supposedly sets it up here on sherdog was total dick. Given that he is one of their employees and a total dick, I did not feel welcomed at all, I will never visit this gym because of this. Instead I went to RJJ gym. Next visit I will probably go to Toccos. I would like to visit mayweathers to learn some of this style padwork, but like I said, imagine you show up, and their employee is like, yeah theres the guy I got into it with on sherdog, might not make for a enjoyable experience.
That style of mitt work is all tricks, smoke and mirrors. If you come up Oregon/Washington area sometime I could take an afternoon and teach you. It’s not hard, but it only really works at that speed when the fighter and the pad man know the system and have put some time in.

I like how he seems to emphasize the jab so much when hes teaching especially finishing combos with them. Almost all his guys I've seen him train in these videos have an beautiful jab.

That style of mitt work is all tricks, smoke and mirrors. If you come up Oregon/Washington area sometime I could take an afternoon and teach you. It’s not hard, but it only really works at that speed when the fighter and the pad man know the system and have put some time in.

I would be down to train with you for sure.

When you do this type of mittwork, once you get going at a really fast pace its tough to keep and, and remember exaclty what it was you were supposed to do, thats where it helps the reaction imo. My coach now has a similar style I think, but its more of a hybrid of mayweather style plus standard

Back