Glutes for the Slutes Squat/overhead press Competition

Bumped the weight up to where it should be for week 3. 4 sets of 9 with 410. Man I won’t miss these fucking sets during the intense phase.

5 sets of 7 with 437.5# Things are starting to get spicy now. Had to bust out the grunts to get my last rep or two of the last 2 sets. Two more workouts and the base cycle is done. Pressing is done when I can, I figure we’ve got a long way till December so I could always run a full Smolov cycle for it later in the year if it’s that.....pressing of an issue.

Sidebar
Anybody else pull sumo? Seem to have plateaued at 600 again. Granted after my should and groin injury this is like 95% of my old maxes so maybe I shouldn’t bitch. Stuck off the floor. Block pulls are going up fine, pulled 765 before hanging it up (very weird holding it btw).

Anywhoo

For squats been hitting triples at increasing weights. Up to 455 with no struggle. So hopefully at least 5-10 pounds on my squat max if it transfers over.

7 sets of 5 with 465 today. The disassociation is strong with this workout. I’m reaching my mental limit. If I hadn’t written it down, I’d have forgotten how many sets I did. Also excruciating forearm pain in both arms. Just 10 triples tomorrow and base cycle is finished. Fuck I can’t wait

Finished the workout. I think the reason this was so terrible is because of the weight. I had to concentrate on every rep rather than pumping out a few and then taking some breaths. When you’re thinking about every rep, it’s brutal.

Sidebar
Anybody else pull sumo? Seem to have plateaued at 600 again. Granted after my should and groin injury this is like 95% of my old maxes so maybe I shouldn’t bitch. Stuck off the floor. Block pulls are going up fine, pulled 765 before hanging it up (very weird holding it btw).

Anywhoo

For squats been hitting triples at increasing weights. Up to 455 with no struggle. So hopefully at least 5-10 pounds on my squat max if it transfers over.
Make sure you’re maintaining an upright enough torso and pulling yourself to the bar through your legs, like your legs are springs and you’re loading them by pulling on the bar. Also point your toes in slightly to create more torque when you externally rotate your hips. This at least is what helped me off the floor.

Make sure you’re maintaining an upright enough torso and pulling yourself to the bar through your legs, like your legs are springs and you’re loading them by pulling on the bar. Also point your toes in slightly to create more torque when you externally rotate your hips. This at least is what helped me off the floor.
Hard to describe but the sensation i used to get was i was pulling myself down to load the legs and the weight would shift and just pull up. Having trouble recreating it

Hard to describe but the sensation i used to get was i was pulling myself down to load the legs and the weight would shift and just pull up. Having trouble recreating it
That’s what I’m trying to explain lol so you know what I mean. Could just be you need to deadlift more

That’s what I’m trying to explain lol so you know what I mean. Could just be you need to deadlift more
Maybe. I did drop speed pulls and squats from the opposing lifts day. Suppose it worked for my squat should apply here too. I need eight days a week

Maybe. I did drop speed pulls and squats from the opposing lifts day. Suppose it worked for my squat should apply here too. I need eight days a week
I haven’t deadlifted or benched since starting Smolov. I’m excited to see if any glute and thigh gains transfer to the diddlylift.

My arms are going to fall off at this rate. I read that low bar fucks them but at this point high bar is also excruciating. 4 sets in on my 10 triples with 492.5. I’ll finish. May take another hour but I’ll finish. So this is why people use safety squat bars?

Almost quit. Threw on the belt for my last 4 sets. But I did them.

Skin is coming off in sheets from my upper traps and there is an open wound on my middle traps from the bar knurling.

Goddamn man. I had some forearm pain from low bar a while back. Switched to front squats only for a couple weeks and that fixed it

You can see I switched to high bar in the videos but the damage has already been done. Chad Wesley Smith says he doesn’t low bar squat more than once a week because it destroys his arms.
I can believe it. Other than powerlifting reasons and habit, do we really need low bar?

I can believe it. Other than powerlifting reasons and habit, do we really need low bar?
There’s a good video that CWS and Max Aita do comparing the low and high bar squat. They say the high bar squat is the better builder of lower body strength whereas the low bar is the better demonstrator of strength. They basically say the high bar squat is superior in every way.

Don’t kill yourself man. Low bar has made me question all of my decisions in life. But I don’t have much of a choice in the matter. I have long ass legs and a small torso.

Squat with a sweater on or something?

Back