Machida still beats Bader, Mousasi tougher fight

Kinosis

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just finished watching Machida vs Bader, and Machida vs Mousasi. I think Machida still has a great chance of beating Bader. He has nothing for Machida on the feet unless he just catches him with a hard shot. If Bader uses a wrestling based gameplan he has a better shot but still Machida is a hard fight for him.

Machida can still beat Mousasi as well but that fight was much closer and Mousasi could win the rematch as Machida is older and slower now. Still should be a good fight either way. How do you seeing the potential rematches going?

Huge Machida fan, but he can't even beat Derick Brunson these days, much less Bader. He doesn't win either fight, and I hope neither fight takes place. Lyoto needs to fight guys his age or lower-mid-level guys. Fighting Mousasi or Bader at this point doesn't prove anything for anyone. Machida is over 40 and his speed, reflexes and chin are gone.

Both of them would finish him

Huge Machida fan, but he can't even beat Derick Brunson these days, much less Bader. He doesn't win either fight, and I hope neither fight takes place. Lyoto needs to fight guys his age or lower-mid-level guys. Fighting Mousasi or Bader at this point doesn't prove anything for anyone. Machida is over 40 and his speed, reflexes and chin are gone.

Completely disagree. Bader didn't even land a hand on Machida a few years ago. Machida's movement completely shut him down. Machida still movies like that. Bader, using a wrestling gameplan similar to Phil Davis could win. Brunson was a southpaw and Machida had been losing them to them or having trouble with them because of the stances. He finally started making adjustments and switching to a orthodox stance to keep the distance he normally has as a southpaw vs orthodox and saw improvement.

Bader isn't a southpaw. Against Brunson, Machida used an outside pivot in a southpaw vs southpaw match and ate a left hook. His outside pivot moved him right into it. That would only happen against another southpaw.

Both of them would finish him

Very unlikely. 3 (maybe 4, can't remember Jones' stance when he dropped Machida with a punch) of Machida's losses were against other southpaws. 2 he lost to being outpointed by wrestlers. Shogun was the only orthodox fighter to finish Machida on the feet. It's not easy to do.

Just checked, Jones was in southpaw when he dropped Machida as well.

I’d pick Bader if they fight again, I think age is catching up with machida

Completely disagree. Bader didn't even land a hand on Machida a few years ago. Machida's movement completely shut him down. Machida still movies like that. Bader, using a wrestling gameplan similar to Phil Davis could win. Brunson was a southpaw and Machida had been losing them to them or having trouble with them because of the stances. He finally started making adjustments and switching to a orthodox stance to keep the distance he normally has as a southpaw vs orthodox and saw improvement.

Bader isn't a southpaw. Against Brunson, Machida used an outside pivot in a southpaw vs southpaw match and ate a left hook. His outside pivot moved him right into it. That would only happen against another southpaw.

You're assuming Machida's speed and reflexes haven't faded since the first Bader fight...which they most certainly have.

I would pick Bader to take him down and beat him up. Mousasi probably beats him too.

Machida vs Teddy is gonna be something else.

Who takes it??

You're assuming Machida's speed and reflexes haven't faded since the first Bader fight...which they most certainly have.

Negative. I'm assuming when a guy is so superior in the striking that he doesn't even get touched over 2 rounds, even if his reflexes decrease a little, it won't make any difference. Bader is also past his physical prime as well and will be decreasing also. But as you have completely ignored the entire striking breakdown I did, there is really zero reason to continue the discussion.

Machida vs Teddy is gonna be something else.

Who takes it??

Fedor? If it happens, it should be very interesting. I don't know if Fedor will fight on past this tournament though. He hasn't sounded like he was going to. I could see either guy winning depending on gameplan, but I'd favor Fedor.

I would pick Bader to take him down and beat him up. Mousasi probably beats him too.

I definitely think that is Bader's path to victory. He didn't grapple at all in the first fight and it was a big mistake.

I don't know if Mousasi would win, but I think it could be closer than the first fight. Mousasi had major trouble with someone at Shlemenko's level very recently...who also is a southpaw. I haven't watched that fight since it happened and don't really remember it (besides a lot of people thought Shlemenko got robbed). I'll probably watch it again soon.

*Just watch Shlemenko vs Mousasi again, Mousasi hasn't corrected any of the problems he had with Machida and the southpaw style. There is a reason why Mousasi looked so poor in that fight, it's because dealing with a southpaw is an issue. Mousasi ate lots of left straights, body kicks, rear knee when charging, etc. All stuff Machida does. Mousasi lost the stand up badly against Shlemenko because of all of that. His only success in the fight was on the ground. That was Mousasi's last fight before his title fight.

Last edited:
No he wouldnt, those quick reflexes aren't there no more. Plus he gets rocked easy now.

I definitely think that is Bader's path to victory. He didn't grapple at all in the first fight and it was a big mistake.

I don't know if Mousasi would win, but I think it could be closer than the first fight. Mousasi had major trouble with someone at Shlemenko's level very recently...who also is a southpaw. I haven't watched that fight since it happened and don't really remember it (besides a lot of people thought Shlemenko got robbed). I'll probably watch it again soon.

*Just watch Shlemenko vs Mousasi again, Mousasi hasn't corrected any of the problems he had with Machida and the southpaw style. There is a reason why Mousasi looked so poor in that fight, it's because dealing with a southpaw is an issue. Mousasi ate lots of left straights, body kicks, rear knee when charging, etc. All stuff Machida does. Mousasi lost the stand up badly against Shlemenko because of all of that. His only success in the fight was on the ground. That was Mousasi's last fight before his title fight.

Mousasi got his eye busted in the 1st minute of the fight and had to survive with one eye against one if the deadliest spinning strikers in mma.So judging mousasis skills off that fight are very misleading.He was forced into a grapple heavy approach and having 1 eye completely altered his striking.

Machida still has some fights on him and hasn't slowed too much but I think mousasi beats him more convincingly in a rematch.Vs BADER he would have a chance but haters striking has gotten better he's not just a brawler he has pretty good kickboxing and if he wrestled machida I think he would win for sure.

I honestly would like to see machida in bellator kickboxing.

I just finished watching Machida vs Bader, and Machida vs Mousasi. I think Machida still has a great chance of beating Bader. He has nothing for Machida on the feet unless he just catches him with a hard shot. If Bader uses a wrestling based gameplan he has a better shot but still Machida is a hard fight for him.

Machida can still beat Mousasi as well but that fight was much closer and Mousasi could win the rematch as Machida is older and slower now. Still should be a good fight either way. How do you seeing the potential rematches going?
Bader has improved substantially since he switched promotions. I see The Dragon getting his head bounced off the mat from half guard. A mismatch at this point in their careers.

Lets see which kind of streoids Machida put in his body now that he can cycle again and then we can talk.

Prime Machida would have killed Brunson. USADA Machida was knocked out by one of the worst strikers I have ever seen.

Bader and Mousasi are in their prime. Machida is shot.

I disagree and think Bader is a tougher fight because of the wrestling. Sweet post though. Very true about the switching to orthodox adjustment. It did wonders against the southpaws. I couldn't believe how many south paws they were matching him with. I think the UFC was trying to weed him out. I'm glad he went with bellator instead

Bader has improved substantially since he switched promotions. I see The Dragon getting his head bounced off the mat from half guard. A mismatch at this point in their careers.

I don't think he has really improved at all since he switched over. He is just fighting weaker opponents. He fought Phil Davis in Bellator and had the exact same result as in the ufc.

Back