Locked TV Show Thread 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slowly catching up on the regular shows that I missed.

GLOW season 2 was great. Funny, superb writing and a great cast of characters and performances. Marc Maron is a natural fit to play Stan Lee in a biopic.

LUKE CAGE season 2 - Finished episode one. Draaaaging. Kept on fast forwarding a lot of stuff. I'll probably still watch the rest of the episodes but I'm just going to fast forward and skip a lot of the dull crap.

I enjoyed season two of Luke Cage a lot more than season one, but it has far too much filler. There were a couple of nice touches I don't want to spoil.

Gah, there is no American Ninja Warrior this week. I need my weekly ANW fix.

I'll just talk about superstar Jesse "Flex" LaBreck. When she made her debut two years ago, I predicted that she was going to be one of the greats. And she now is.
[Sept. 14, 2016]
Among the female athletes, I think Jesse "Flex" LaBreck has strong potential to be one of the greats. She's one of the few female athletes that really earned her spot in the National Finals.
anw_810_jesse_labreck_runjpg.jpg
In this year's Ninja vs. Ninja, she was spectacular. She broke a lot of records like being the first female to finish the extended course and the first female to take on the final leg in the relay race - and shockingly beating the men. Hope she, and the other Jesse (Graff), make it far in this season of ANW.

I enjoyed season two of Luke Cage a lot more than season one, but it has far too much filler. There were a couple of nice touches I don't want to spoil.
Your recommendation carries weight. So if you think Luke Cage season 2 is worth it, I'll power through.

Your recommendation carries weight. So if you think Luke Cage season 2 is worth it, I'll power through.

Thanks, but be warned that there really is a lot of filler.

The music is awesome. The songs go on too long, but a lot of them are really good.

Gah, there is no American Ninja Warrior this week. I need my weekly ANW fix.

I'll just talk about superstar Jesse "Flex" LaBreck. When she made her debut two years ago, I predicted that she was going to be one of the greats. And she now is.

In this year's Ninja vs. Ninja, she was spectacular. She broke a lot of records like being the first female to finish the extended course and the first female to take on the final leg in the relay race - and shockingly beating the men. Hope she, and the other Jesse (Graff), make it far in this season of ANW.

I've gotten hooked too. Never watched it before the Ninja vs ninja season. I hope that Sodapop kid is in this season. That boy got moves

Main Cast Announced for Y: THE LAST MAN at FX with Barry Keoghan to Play Lead Role

SK1cw6E.jpg

Two months after FX formally announced plans to make a pilot for beloved graphic novel Y: The Last Man, the cable network has announced the cast for the highly anticipated drama.

Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk), Imogen Poots (Green Room), Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession) and Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) will star in Michael Green's adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan's comic series.

Y: The Last Man ranks as one of the most critically acclaimed comic book series of all time. The DC Comics/Vertigo title was first launched in 2002 and revolves around Yorick Brown — the last surviving human with a Y chromosome — and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand. The series follows escape artist Yorick after a mysterious plague as he sets out to find what might have wiped out the male chromosome. The series, written and created by Vaughan and artist Pia Guerra, ran for 60 issues and has been collected in multiple graphic novels. Here's FX's formal description of the potential series: "Y traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male mammal save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival."

Lane will play Senator Jennifer Brown, a junior senator in her first term who has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics, she is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.

Keoghan will take on the lead role of Yorick, a young man who is quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.

Poots will play Hero Brown, a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.

Lynch will portray Agent 355, a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism — even under the most unexpected circumstances.

Canfield will take on the role of Beth, a Brooklyn-based knife maker who grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when they're together, there's the undeniable spark of two kids in love.

Ireland rounds out the cast as Nora, the president's senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.

Green (American Gods, Blade Runner 2049, Logan) and Aïda Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Turn) serve as showrunners and executive producers. Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force (American Crime Story, Pose, The Hunger Games) and Vaughan executive produce and developed the series. Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None, Beyonce: Formation) will direct the pilot and exec produce the FX Productions drama.

Keoghan is best known for his work in features including Chris Nolan's Dunkirk and Yorgo Lathimos' The Killing of a Sacred Deer. He'll next be seen in HBO miniseries Chernobyl opposite Jared Harris.

'Y: The Last Man' FX Cast Unveiled as Diane Lane and Barry Keoghan to Star

Joss Whedon Returning to Television with HBO Sci-Fi Drama Series THE NEVERS

nB50IGX.jpg

Joss Whedon is returning to television. The Buffy the Vampire Slayer alum has landed a straight-to-series order at HBO for Victorian drama The Nevers. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the drama landed at the premium cable network amid a competitive situation with multiple bidders, including streaming giant Netflix. An episode count and premiere date have not yet been determined.

The Nevers is described as an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies and a mission that might change the world. Whedon will serve as writer, director, exec producer and showrunner on The Nevers.

"I honestly couldn't be more excited. The Nevers is maybe the most ambitious narrative I’ve created, and I can’t imagine a better home for it than HBO," Whedon said. "Not only are they the masters of cinematic longform, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive. It's been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offers not just scope and experience, not just 'prestige,' but a passionate collaboration. I could go on, but — I’m impatiently grateful to say — I have work to do."

The Nevers marks Whedon's return to the small screen and the first show he has created since Fox's Dollhouse. His credits include Firefly, Buffy spinoff Angel and serving as an exec producer on ABC's Marvel drama Agents of SHIELD, which is showrun by his brother, Jed Whedon, and sister-in-law, Maurissa Tancharoen. The news comes as the trio are poised to appear at San Diego Comic-Con for a massive 10-year reunion for their original web series Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog in Hall H.

Joss Whedon Sci-Fi Drama 'The Nevers' Ordered Straight to Series at HBO

BATWOMAN Live-Action TV Series in the Works at The CW from Greg Berlanti

wFmK7SL.jpg

The CW is looking to expand its DC Comics world. The network is teaming with DC's small-screen universe mastermind Greg Berlanti to develop Batwoman as a TV series. The character of Batwoman will officially be introduced in December as part of The CW's annual DC series crossover event.

Batwoman revolves around Kate Kane, who, armed with a passion for social justice and flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet: in a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope.

Caroline Dries (The Vampire Diaries) is attached to pen the script and exec produce the series, which is based on DC Comics characters. Berlanti and his Warner Bros. TV-based Berlanti Productions topper Sarah Schechter and Geoff Johns will exec produce the drama. A casting notice for the role of Kate will be going out shortly.

The DC crossover will mark the first time the character of Batwoman will appear on any screen when she is seen fighting alongside The CW's heroes.

Should Batwoman move to series, it would join a slate of DC series at The CW that includes Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning as Berlanti also builds a roster of DC fare on the comic book powerhouse's forthcoming DC Universe subscription digital platform. Launching in August, that platform will feature scripted originals including Titans, Doom Patrol and more.

The script deal brings Dries back to The CW and Warner Bros. TV, for whom she served as showrunner on The Vampire Diaries. Dries exited briefly for an overall deal with Sony TV. Her credits include Melrose Place and Smallville.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/batwoman-tv-series-works-at-cw-1127574

Mark Millar's JUPITER LEGACY and AMERICAN JESUS TV Series and EMPRESS and HUCK Movies in the Works at Netflix

millarworld_jupiters_legacy_and_empress_split.jpg

Nearly a year after snapping up Mark Millar's comic book imprint, the Kingsman and Kick-Ass author has set his first slate at Netflix.

The streamer has gone straight to series on two TV shows based on Millar's works — Jupiter's Legacy and American Jesus. On the feature side, Netflix announced Empress and Huck — both based on Millar titles — as well as Sharkey the Bounty Hunter, which will be published as a Millarworld/Netflix comic next year.

"My wife Lucy and I are 11 months into our jobs at Netflix and it’s everything we hoped for to the power of 10," Millar said in a statement.

All told, the five projects are the first slate in what sources estimate is a deal worth between $30 million and $50 million.

Jupiter's Legacy, which will span eight episodes, hails from Steven S. DeKnight (who launched Netflix's first Marvel drama, Daredevil) will serve as showrunner after recently inking an overall deal with the streamer. Lorenzo diBonaventura and Dan McDermott exec produce, with DeKnight directing the first episode. The drama is based on Millar's ongoing comic of the same name, which was first published in 2013. The series is a multigenerational drama that follows the world's first generation of superheroes, who received their powers in the 1930s. In the present day, they're they revered elder guard, but their super-powered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents. Jupiter's Legacy is considered the crown jewel of Millar's Millarworld banner as the title, about the world's first superheroes, could lend itself to become its own suite of series akin to Netflix's Marvel TV universe.

American Jesus, set for six episodes, is a multilingual series in Spanish and English. Everardo Gout (Netflix's Marvel drama Luke Cage) and his brother, Leopoldo Gout (Molly's Game, Instinct) will serve as co-showrunners and exec producers, with the former directing. The series follows a 12-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he has returned as Jesus Christ and can turn water into wine and perhaps even raise the dead. The drama explores how he will deal with the destiny to lead the world in a conflict thousands of years in the making. The series is based on the comic, initially published as Chosen in 2004, and retitled American Jesus for its trade paperback collection.

On the film side, Ted Melfi, who directed and co-wrote the Oscar-nominated hit, Hidden Figures, is adapting Huck, Millar's 2016 riff on Superman featuring a small-town man who secretly does good deeds with his super-powers. Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe are set to produce.

Lindsey Beer, a rising geek writer who has worked up Chaos Walking and Godzilla vs Kong, has been tapped to pen Empress, about the wife of a galactic dictator who dares to escape her husband with her children in tow. An interplanetary chase ensues. Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum (Maleficent) are producing.

Rounding out the list is Sharkey the Bounty Hunter, which is set in a new sci-fi universe and revolves around a blue-collar bounty hunter who tracks criminals across his galaxy in his converted, rocket-powered ice cream truck. Aided by his 10-year-old partner, he's out for the biggest bounty of his career. Michael Bacall (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 21 Jump Street) will pen the screenplay. As opposed to the other titles being adapted, Sharkey is not yet a published Millar property. It will be published as a Netflix/Millarworld comic next year.

"To see a movie based on your work every couple of years is incredibly exciting, but to see them all happening at once like this and with talent this high-end is just off the scale," Millar said. "These are writers and directors I’ve privately been sending fan-mail to over the last 18 months so to be working with them all is just enormously exciting. This really is the greatest creative environment I’ve ever worked in. I can’t wait to switch on my computer every morning."

Since inking the rich Netflix deal, Millar has already launched his first comic title for Netflix, The Magic Order. He plans to create 20 comic book titles as part of the multiple-year pact, with new series appearing regularly alongside existing properties.

'Jupiter's Legacy,' 'American Jesus,' 'Empress' and 'Huck Among Mark Millar's First Netflix Slate

DC Universe Adds STARGIRL Live-Action Series from Geoff Johns and Greg Berlanti

stargirldcu-1024x687.jpg

DC Universe is making a big splash at San Diego Comic-Con. The forthcoming subscription video on demand platform opened the confab with a first look at its scripted originals with Titans and on Thursday afternoon unveiled its sixth overall series: a live-action Stargirl.

Geoff Johns, who revealed the news during his spotlight panel, will write and exec produce the 13-episode scripted original series via his Mad Ghost Productions banner. The drama hails from Warner Bros. Television and Greg Berlanti's studio-based Berlanti Productions, with Sarah Schechter also serving as an exec producer. The series will bow in 2019.

Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The series reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in a fun, exciting and unpredictable series.

Johns and Lee Moder created the character, who was named after the former's sister, Courtney, who died in the 1996 explosion of TWA Flight 800. The character made her first appearance in July 1999's Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #1.

In making the announcement, Johns addressed his recent departure as DC's chief creative offer and noted that he would have not been able to write such a deeply personal series if he were still in that role. "It’s so personal for me, and to create and run my show … this is the kind of opportunity that I’ve couldn’t have had if I had stayed in that role," Johns said of the series, which he said would be a "PG-13 show."

"This is based on my sister. The character is fun and optimistic," he added of the series, about a girl whose mom remarries and moves to a new town where she discovers that her step-father was a superhero a long time ago. "It's about bringing back the legacy of the Justice Society," he noted of DC's first superhero team from the comics first published in the 1940s.

'Stargirl' Live-Action Drama From Greg Berlanti and Geoff Johns Joins DC Universe Slate

Full Trailer for George R.R. Martin's Sci-Fi Horror Series NIGHTFLYERS on SyFy

Last edited:
So I finally caught up with The Expanse.... and this time I was smart enough to do it while the wife and kids were out for the day. Today involved far less yelling of "Shut the fuck up, my show is on!" than usual.

Anyway....

Amos has a thing for the lesbian pastor lady (btw, the same pastor who basically abandoned her family to go play Star Trek!?) and I don't blame him. He always seems to get fixated on the most emotional people they meet up with in their travels. And by "emotional" I don't necessarily mean those who display a lot of emotion, but the ones who are most in tune with their emotions, and are easily able to rationalize their feelings, and are at peace with them.

The psycho in me wanted to see Amos put a bullet in Clarissa Mao's head when they captured her on the Roci, but I'm glad pastor lady stopped him.

I had a feeling that since Mao never got to actually confront Holden when she discovered they shared the same cell block, that she was going to somehow have a change of heart after seeing how good of a person he is.

My only gripe was that they made Klaus the generic mutineer after all of that time looking like they were going to avert the trope entirely. I still love his character, and his actor. I've seen him in a bunch of shows, and he's usually one of the best ones on there.

This show continually amazes me. I can't wait until season 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back