Starting BJJ tomorrow morning (Super nervous)

Brandon Keylock

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or if I'm doing it correctly (this is my first thread ever, not just on sherdog - but ever! Lol). I was wondering if you guys have any tips or advice on getting over the fear of getting into your first BJJ class? I have quite an extreme general anxiety disorder (meds help but is not a silver bullet), I'm fine socially and don't get nervous meeting new people but I tend to get extremely nervous at the idea of doing something that is unknown to me such as BJJ. I've planned on starting for a while now but always make exscuses for myself the day before but this time I can't let it happen again (I'm hoping that typing this out kind of holds me accountable as well) So yeah, any tips or advice on getting over the pre-first-class nerves and starting this BJJ journey off on the right foot? Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

It's not a big deal, no one expects you to know anything or be able to do more than 5 push ups. It's not a big deal, just show up. It's their job to walk you through it.

Everyone sucks on their first day. Also, don't beat yourself up about not managing any particular time, just try again next week. I went all the way to the gym entrance and couldn't get myself inside three or four times when I first started.

Accept your fate and enjoy the ride. Also test the school out if the instructor just lets people beat on you(Not a good or bad thing, I saw one guy who said lay it on me I want to know if this is worth my time.), you can kinda get an idea of the school and culture.

It’s pretty nerve-wracking. I’d say depending on the person you might only need a couple classes before you don’t feel completely out of place.

Time flies man, just go and do it and next thing you know you’re in the gym comfortable and having fun

Hey guys, not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or if I'm doing it correctly (this is my first thread ever, not just on sherdog - but ever! Lol). I was wondering if you guys have any tips or advice on getting over the fear of getting into your first BJJ class? I have quite an extreme general anxiety disorder (meds help but is not a silver bullet), I'm fine socially and don't get nervous meeting new people but I tend to get extremely nervous at the idea of doing something that is unknown to me such as BJJ. I've planned on starting for a while now but always make exscuses for myself the day before but this time I can't let it happen again (I'm hoping that typing this out kind of holds me accountable as well) So yeah, any tips or advice on getting over the pre-first-class nerves and starting this BJJ journey off on the right foot? Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

I was just like you honestly. The hardest part is walking through the doors. The second hardest part is coming back after a practice where you get smashed. You will respect yourself for coming back again and again (garenteed)

Once you get over the mental / emotional barriers you’re good. You just kind of have to make your self do it really.

Good luck Bro.

Last edited:
Just remember

If they let you drill or spar and you are feeling squashed.

Put your thumb in his ass. Oil check for the win!!!!!

Kidding, just go, you will have fun.

Thanks for all the encouraging replies everyone I don't know how I messed up the times (this really isn't another exscuse lol) but it wasn't 11am Tuesday it was actually 11am today (Wednesday). I only managed to get around 2 hours sleep last night because of the nerves but managed to finally get myself to the gym and take part. It was absolutely amazing, fantastic atmosphere and a great bunch of people to train with. I'm gonna sign up for a months membership after class tomorrow, I can't wait to go back and as of right now there are absolutely no nerves about tomorrow what so ever, just pure excitement - can't wait!

Thanks for all the encouraging replies everyone I don't know how I messed up the times (this really isn't another exscuse lol) but it wasn't 11am Tuesday it was actually 11am today (Wednesday). I only managed to get around 2 hours sleep last night because of the nerves but managed to finally get myself to the gym and take part. It was absolutely amazing, fantastic atmosphere and a great bunch of people to train with. I'm gonna sign up for a months membership after class tomorrow, I can't wait to go back and as of right now there are absolutely no nerves about tomorrow what so ever, just pure excitement - can't wait!

Welcome to the BJJ Brotherhood.

We're like the Freemasons, only way cooler:D

Since whitebelts can't post threads now - figured I'd just piggy back on this one.

I recently had my very first BJJ class. It was really great. The instructor was really awesome about just letting me work a move and get a feel for rolling. We were working on escapes from being mounted and trying to chain the moves together, but it was hard to remember how to do the moves - so it took some time to think about it and work through it. I'm a pretty big/strong guy, so my goal is to really learn the technique and not rely on just being strong and spazzy. I really want to focus on the details and do things well to set a solid foundation.

I could tell that he could very easily sweep me/submit me at any moment if he wanted, lol.

Watch some Marcelo Garcia videos before class, he motivates the hell out of me

I want to go but I don’t like being touched and having sweaty balls in my face. But I want to learn D’arce and anaconda chokes. War Babalu!

Since whitebelts can't post threads now - figured I'd just piggy back on this one.

I recently had my very first BJJ class. It was really great. The instructor was really awesome about just letting me work a move and get a feel for rolling. We were working on escapes from being mounted and trying to chain the moves together, but it was hard to remember how to do the moves - so it took some time to think about it and work through it. I'm a pretty big/strong guy, so my goal is to really learn the technique and not rely on just being strong and spazzy. I really want to focus on the details and do things well to set a solid foundation.

I could tell that he could very easily sweep me/submit me at any moment if he wanted, lol.

That's a really good attitude and OF COURSE the instructor could dominate you. That should be inspiring. :) Hold onto wanting to perfect techniques and don't get an ego about being bad at first and you'll do great.

Also, the funniest thing is to pair up with some much smaller higher belt and watch them demolish you. Or like the poster above me mentioned with Marcelo, watch him wreck heavy opponents in the openweight category.

I want to go but I don’t like being touched and having sweaty balls in my face. But I want to learn D’arce and anaconda chokes. War Babalu!

You generally try to avoid getting balls in you face, also people grabbing you to beat you up is a lot more fun then getting hugged by relatives and family gathering etc.

That's a really good attitude and OF COURSE the instructor could dominate you. That should be inspiring. :) Hold onto wanting to perfect techniques and don't get an ego about being bad at first and you'll do great.

Also, the funniest thing is to pair up with some much smaller higher belt and watch them demolish you. Or like the poster above me mentioned with Marcelo, watch him wreck heavy opponents in the openweight category.

For sure! I've gone into this with no ego. I just want to learn and get in better shape. I don't care if people submit me and such. I really appreciate the technical aspects and the chess like nature of it all. I just want to enjoy the process and learn as much as I can.

For sure! I've gone into this with no ego. I just want to learn and get in better shape. I don't care if people submit me and such. I really appreciate the technical aspects and the chess like nature of it all. I just want to enjoy the process and learn as much as I can.

It is about learning how to fight. If you want to get in shape be safe and jazzercize or some shit.

It is about learning how to fight. If you want to get in shape be safe and jazzercize or some shit.

But I don't look as cool in spandex!

You have to crawl before you can walk. If you rely on half techniques and being strong, eventually you are going to get smashed. I prefer the approach of really getting the techniques down first. If you apply strength after that, you get a very good package.

I love these threads.

Good on you for going. You won't regret it.

You'll also probably be surprised how many BJJ guys suffer from various anxiety/depression disorders and just how much it can help.

Just the other day I was chatting to a guy who'd just come back from a 6 week break from BJJ, and what a difference he noticed. The day after his first day back he said he felt like he was on drugs. Just felt so good, and was almost literally buzzing with good feels and excitement. I always feel the same thing. When I can't grapple, I get fucking CRANKY. I recently had about 6 weeks off too and after my first class back, my partner specifically noted the difference. She immediately noticed how much "lighter" I seemed.

Learning how to fight is cool. The other benefits of BJJ are way, way cooler, IMO.

I've only been training for a few months, and I remember feeling that anxiety that almost kept me from going in to class at first, but I just kept telling myself that "thought is the enemy of action" and just went. It's the best decision I ever made. I still get anxiety a bit before I go into class, but it's much easier to ignore and push through now because I know I feel SOOOOO much better after I get done rolling and I feel like I've dumped all my energy (anxious energy included).

Back