Cool video with floyd sr

@Ilk
I get your point and I think no one has a problem with you training like that. Works for you. Its just that you tend to generalize sometimes and talk down on it like its a faulty training no one should use.

But its all good ;)

Wow never heard of privates this expensive. I dont think even Saenchai charges that much.

Yeah probably not, I think if I could get the opportunity to speak with him directly, i might be able to get something more reasonable.

Not a fan of such pad work as I already explained. I only liked when he was attacking them but it is pretty damn static work.

And it has been awhile I dont like working the pads. For me it does not transfer to spars.

Even my friends say that when they watch me on the pads.or.the bag I look good, but.when we spar I do not.

I kind of get what youre saying about not transferring to sparring. You can make a 1 month newbie look amazing on the pads but put him in a ring to spar and he's exposed immediately. They are a great training tool complimented with everything else, after all, you can't spar for 2 hours a day 6 days a week.

To counter your soccer analogy...the kids who get trials for Man United and Chelsea etc are usually the ones who spend the years of 4-6years of age kicking a ball repeatedly against a brick wall...then playing games with their friends in the streets. Hitting a ball 100 times, 1000 times, 10000 times is what gets them the skill before they are able to learn the technical ins and outs of the game....

In other words, on the pads you are going to hit jabs, straights, hooks etc thousands more times than you'll ever land them in a fight- meaning you're practising the technique on the pads to the best of your technical ability. Combining that with all the other staples of boxing and it completes a fighter.

You can make a 1 month newbie look amazing on the pads but put him in a ring to spar and he's exposed immediately.

I read that a lot but have never seen it. Padwork is about technical execution and yes that doesnt mean at all that he is able to do that in sparring but nevertheless you see how good his technical level and footwork (if included in drills) is. A good jab is a good jab no matter if thrown at a heavy bag, in shadow boxing or against pads.

Sure everyone can hit pads fast after a month but thats imo not "looking amazing".

I read that a lot but have never seen it. Padwork is about technical execution and yes that doesnt mean at all that he is able to do that in sparring but nevertheless you see how good his technical level and footwork (if included in drills) is. A good jab is a good jab no matter if thrown at a heavy bag, in shadow boxing or against pads.

Sure everyone can hit pads fast after a month but thats imo not "looking amazing".

You can be very forgiving on the pads which can make people look alot better than they are. Bringing your pads in closer before they get full extension and rotation, lots of slapping the mitts on the sides of their arms/shoulders etc...it isnt hard to make them seem slick, but anyone with a basic understanding of boxing can see right through it, casuals cant

but anyone with a basic understanding of boxing can see right through it, casuals cant

Thats what I meant. As soon as you know what you have to look for you see if someone has skills or not or if the padholder helps to make it look slick.

I am a beginner and did some padwork in the gym with someone else some weeks ago. At the end we did the drills fast. After that I got spoken to by someone without experience if I would train him. <Lmaoo> To him it looked great while I felt like complete shit doing the drills because of wrong distance / miserable punch execution. So I get why some use that as an ego booster ;)

I kind of get what youre saying about not transferring to sparring. You can make a 1 month newbie look amazing on the pads but put him in a ring to spar and he's exposed immediately. They are a great training tool complimented with everything else, after all, you can't spar for 2 hours a day 6 days a week.

To counter your soccer analogy...the kids who get trials for Man United and Chelsea etc are usually the ones who spend the years of 4-6years of age kicking a ball repeatedly against a brick wall...then playing games with their friends in the streets. Hitting a ball 100 times, 1000 times, 10000 times is what gets them the skill before they are able to learn the technical ins and outs of the game....

In other words, on the pads you are going to hit jabs, straights, hooks etc thousands more times than you'll ever land them in a fight- meaning you're practising the technique on the pads to the best of your technical ability. Combining that with all the other staples of boxing and it completes a fighter.

Hey I am very familiar with soccer. I am that kid thst kicked the ball non stop against the wall. I did not make it to pro. I still have very good technique. Yet at the age of 32 I play soccer way better than at any time. I made it to amy soccer at the age of 32 after smoking and being an over weight for a decade and not been able to run for 800 meters. In comparison I was fast and I ran 10k twice a week without sweating in my teens.

My point is I made it.to amy soccer because I understand the game and I did not make it in my teens because I tought I am fast and skilled I should be fine. Bach then I did not understand the game. I was good on the ball, good passing and shooting but as soon as someone put pressure on me or I had to do something I am not comfortable with I sucked. So these 1000 touches per day to learn useless motor skills did not help. Trust me on that one. I learned playing one position in football by observing and understanding whats needs to be done and how all I had learned has been useless.

Now to transfering pad work to boxing. Obviously if you are already good and practicing it to develop already good motor skills and habits it is an excellent tool to keep your workout done. Although I would still preffer a coach next to me watching me hit at full power the heavy bag rather than holding pads for me.

You guys are talking without context.

Generally I agree padwork is redundant.

However Floyd Sr has clearly shown to use them in a way that is every effective.

padwork is not the only ingredient, but is part of the recipe, could be the main ingredient depending on your taste, but even when its the main ingredient, its not the only ingredient.

You guys are talking without context.

Generally I agree padwork is redundant.

However Floyd Sr has clearly shown to use them in a way that is every effective.

Eh, a lot of guys Floyd has trained knew how to fight when they came to him. But I've seen guys yes trained with very little prior experience...theres a huge gap between how they look on mitts vs. In sparring

Last edited:
Eh, a lot of guys Floyd has trained knew how to fight when they came to him. But I've seen guys yes trained with very little prior experience...theres a huge gal between how they look on mitts vs. In sparring

Maybe but you can say that about most trainers.

He created pbf so there's that.

You are more connected than I am so I'll defer to you.

Maybe but you can say that about most trainers.

He created pbf so there's that.

You are more connected than I am so I'll defer to you.

That you can say that about most trainers is the biggest glaring problem for Western boxing.

He did build Floyd, but you just helped me realize how that happened. See, Floyd Jr. has been boxing in some form since he was a toddler. My Son has, too. My Son doesn't fear the idea of someone punching at him, even though he's cried a couple of times because it hurt. But it didn't discourage him, when kids are a certain age it's much easier for them to hammer out mistakes when they're so young and small that getting hit doesn't hurt all that much. The sparring is lighter by default, and they're not getting hammered. It's not so easy past a certain age when an ass kicking has tremendous negative psychological effects. It can still have those with regards to ego and such, but less so the physical aspect.

That you can say that about most trainers is the biggest glaring problem for Western boxing.

He did build Floyd, but you just helped me realize how that happened. See, Floyd Jr. has been boxing in some form since he was a toddler. My Son has, too. My Son doesn't fear the idea of someone punching at him, even though he's cried a couple of times because it hurt. But it didn't discourage him, when kids are a certain age it's much easier for them to hammer out mistakes when they're so young and small that getting hit doesn't hurt all that much. The sparring is lighter by default, and they're not getting hammered. It's not so easy past a certain age when an ass kicking has tremendous negative psychological effects. It can still have those with regards to ego and such, but less so the physical aspect.

I agree. Children spend there time getting into all sorts of trouble. Exploring, falling, and conquering mountains. ( relative to scale)

Looking dumb doesn't cross their mind as long as they are having fun.

They are also easier to mold. I generally only work with kids and they like you said don't worry so much about pain. In a group setting it's more to do with not trying to stand out.

Edit: as far as problems with western boxing. I don't the the US was ever really that good more so we just had a huge talent pool with resources.

As time has gone on countries have started pouring resources into these sports and we see a shrinkage in dominance in sports across the board.

Until we have a USA boxing system with a dedicated coach(s) we will have what we have now.

But also alot of coaches don't coach with the intent of building the best amateur boxer. for example the system I was taught is very pro style. Not very amateur friendly. I personally know about 5 coaches who don't know how many rounds are in the a amateur fight.

Last edited:
Well, Pro and Amateur only became VASTLY different when the computer scoring came into play. That's when amateur and pro really became almost completely different Sports. There's still remnants of that, but since the removal of headgear and 10 point scoring restored, we should see them swing back closer together

Eh, a lot of guys Floyd has trained knew how to fight when they came to him. But I've seen guys yes trained with very little prior experience...theres a huge gal between how they look on mitts vs. In sparring

exactly right, you cant tell by how they look on the pads how they fight.

Time will tell.

College basketball has pretty much the same rules as the NBA but more often then not college stars don't often transition well into the NBA.

exactly right, you cant tell by how they look on the pads how they fight.
Generally I agree.

But how many homegrown fighters does Floyd Sr have? And is he actually training these fighters or are they stopping in for a few weeks and getting some work in?

Same situation with hunter. The art of boxing isn't something you can passively learn especially when the system you are learning is an actual method of boxing and not just keep your hands up and punch kinda thing.

Generally I agree.

But how many homegrown fighters does Floyd Sr have? And is he actually training these fighters or are they stopping in for a few weeks and getting some work in?

Same situation with hunter. The art of boxing isn't something you can passively learn especially when the system you are learning is an actual method of boxing and not just keep your hands up and punch kinda thing.

Right this second he doesn't actually train anyone. He's starting to have health issues.

Generally I agree.

yeah just when your gonna fight a guy, you cant tell how he fights by watching videos of him on the pads, not that it cant help to watch it, but its not a indicator of how they fight. but im all for padwork in regards to training.

yeah just when your gonna fight a guy, you cant tell how he fights by watching videos of him on the pads, not that it cant help to watch it, but its not a indicator of how they fight. but im all for padwork in regards to training.

I don't think I made that argument.

Just that we there are many styles of boxing and teaching boxing. Find what helps you convey your messages and go from there

Back