One of the most underrated icons in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the legend..

Heath Herring once told a cool story involving Sergio Penha. Apparently Sergio (and Ricardo) was in Heath's corner for the Nakao fight in K-1. The one where Heath KOd the guy who kissed him at the face off. Nakao's people attacked Heath backstage and apparently Sergio was really kicking some ass. I will try to find the interview.

On the knee passing and bad judo are the most old school things.

I'm not sure why the Judo is bad, or what beef you have with low passing. Personally, my beef is not with the old school but with self defense oriented stuff where it's typically no resistance and very unrealistic. Any school where I had to spend a significant amount of time on that sort of thing I would avoid, but simply focusing on a basic game (what I associate most with old school guys) is fine. It's a choice and it may not be the style that appeals to you, but the people who do it aren't less skilled just good at different things than the IBJJF focused schools. Like I said, I think there's a reason you see more top MMA-BJJ guys coming out of more old schools gyms or lineages than IBJJF oriented schools.

"But what people don’t know is that I’ve only put my gi on with my dad under 100 times. I’ve been on my own since I was 17. My dad only taught me when I was very young"

Kron on how much Rickson taught him

So he trained him for 17 years .....

what the fuck happened in this thread. Trolls come hard in the summer!

My coach teaches us old-school bjj self-defense techniques, usually we'll practice them as a warmup at the start of class, occasionally we have had a full class devoted to it. I don't like it as much as "sport" bjj obviously but it is useful to know just in case a drunk tries to swing on me or grab me from behind.

My gyms style is pretty old-school too, we like to keep it simple and effective. Not much rubber guard , worm guard, or inverted guard here. Just solid sweeps and submissions and heavy passing.

My gyms style is pretty old-school too, we like to keep it simple and effective. Not much rubber guard , worm guard, or inverted guard here. Just solid sweeps and submissions and heavy passing.

Inverted guard is so effective for recovering guard. You don’t need to use it as part of your regular guard game but not knowing it seems like ignoring a really effective technique that is an important tool in the toolbox.

To be fair if someone decides to travel all the way here to try to roll me up and teach me a lesson it would be pretty cool as I really lack decent sparring partners.
Lol, so you come on here and disparage an icon in the sport and even claim that you don’t know Jiu jitsu. If you don’t even have decent training partners why would we even take your views as serious.

Lol, so you come on here and disparage an icon in the sport and even claim that you don’t know Jiu jitsu. If you don’t even have decent training partners why would we even take your views as serious.

I trained with better people before moving to my home town. In regards to judging Rickson you should watch how he opens and passes the closed guard.
I doubt anythink will convince his defenders, it's like trying to convince someone that Shaolin monks can levitate and that Bruce Lee wasn't the best fighter to ever live.

I trained with better people before moving to my home town. In regards to judging Rickson you should watch how he opens and passes the closed guard.
I doubt anythink will convince his defenders, it's like trying to convince someone that Shaolin monks can levitate and that Bruce Lee wasn't the best fighter to ever live.
The Gracie gift sucks if you don’t know how to do it properly. It’s actually a good technique to show beginners because it has all the elements of good Jiu jitsu. You have good posture and hip control. You obviously don’t know what you are talking about.

Listen, I’m no world beater and am just a hobbyist but unless you have felt the pressure of someone like Rickson, I’ve never rolled with him but I have felt the pressure of a coral belt, you don’t know what you are talking about. Those guys pressure game is quite serious and they leave no gaps in their Jiu jitsu.

Now if you want to disparage the self defense stuff, I’ll go ahead and not say anything, because I feel the self defense argument is a false analogy anyway.

The Gracie gift sucks if you don’t know how to do it properly. It’s actually a good technique to show beginners because it has all the elements of good Jiu jitsu. You have good posture and hip control. You obviously don’t know what you are talking about.
Listen, I’m no world beater and am just a hobbyist.

Retarded techniques work on you because you suck, and the people who are applying them have been doing them for decades. When I was a white belt loads of guys I can beat nowadays seemed extremely good to me.
I'm pretty sure Dan the Wolfmans students things he is some catch wrestling god.

Retarded techniques work on you because you suck, and the people who are applying them have been doing them for decades. When I was a white belt loads of guys I can beat nowadays seemed extremely good to me.
I'm pretty sure Dan the Wolfmans students things he is some catch wrestling god.
Cheers!

<mma4>

So let me get this straight... a white belt shouldn’t learn techniques that don’t work on black belts?

By the way... what’s your rank?

So let me get this straight... a white belt shouldn’t learn techniques that don’t work on black belts?

By the way... what’s your rank?

Brown belt.
They should be learning stuff that works all the way from white and if done properly on elite level black belts.
You could argue that giving up the triangle works and exploding works on the best (Rustam did it on Galvao but got tapped by Lovato doing it but Rustam is more of a bear than a white belt).

Brown belt.
They should be learning stuff that works all the way from white and if done properly on elite level black belts.
You could argue that giving up the triangle works and exploding works on the best (Rustam did it on Galvao but got tapped by Lovato doing it but Rustam is more of a bear than a white belt).

Rustam does it to most people he.faces, it’s a technique that works if you time it right, but as most technique, if you fuck up on the process your going to fail on the execution of any technique as you face a competent grappler..

Rustam does it to most people he.faces, it’s a technique that works if you time it right, but as most technique, if you fuck up on the process your going to fail on the execution of any technique as you face a competent grappler..

Rustam pull of the craziest of stuff. We will never know how he would have turned out if he instead of training part time and working construction he trained at some top tier BJJ school.
A berimboling Rustam with Rafa Mendes style technique would be crazy.

Brown belt.

Then a trillón techniques should be left out... at highest level there’s only a bunch that work, and a millón techniques we learn on our journey do not... and is not because the technique it self doesn’t work, it’s because people is too good to get caught on it... should we stop teaching Americanas to white belts since those mostly stop working by the time you reach purple?

Last edited:
Then a trillón techniques should be left out... at highest level there’s only a bunch that work, and a millón techniques we learn on our journey do not... and is not because the technique it self doesn’t work, it’s because people is too good to get caught on it... should we stop teaching Americana’s to white belts since those mostly stop working by the time you reach purple?

I believe they should be left out. I have zero respect for doing stuff just because of tradition.
I wouldn't personally teach Americanas to white belts, I don't know a high level way of setting it up.
I guess the American from top half is good at high level if you are twice the weight and quadruple the strength of your opponent (like Gabi was)

Back