Takedown Diversity UFC 2018

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like fewer different takedowns are being used?

Single Leg
Double Leg
Outside Trip Against the Cage

Even taking the back of standing opponents seems like old hat. People are so good at defending it now.

Am I missing something or is this really the core we are down to at the top?

Single Leg
Double Leg

Even taking the back of standing opponents seems like old hat. People are so good at defending it now.

You find similar things in all combats sports, as you get near the top, the techniques tend to get narrower and narrower

You find similar things in all combats sports, as you get near the top, the techniques tend to get narrower and narrower

No doubt. Do you think things have become more refined over the last year? I feel like 2-5 years ago, you’d see more odd takedowns.

really since 2015 i feel it evolved a bit every 5 years the games always evolved you stoped seeing head inside singles about 8 years ago and everyone was all about head outside single now with the run pipe or run through for a double and now thats even failing on good guys

the traditional mma power double doesnt work as well either anymore and guys are using the step across that tj dillashaw and team alpha male do so well seems to be the highest % takedown atm

bring back the gi
then you'll see humanity
soaring to heights
like nothing you've ever seen

There is a big variety of stuff in the top levels of gi jiu jitsu.
You will see different things being used but that's because in jiu jitsu loads of coaches teach trash.

Last edited:
You will see different things being used but that's because in jiu jitsu loads of coaches teach trash.
It’s not a “rule” just a trend that sometimes doesn’t work. But you tend to see things narrow down to advanced basics

Or maybe it's because people are different, and therefore have different styles and answers that reflect their particular body type and background...

Or maybe it's because people are different, and therefore have different styles and answers that reflect their particular body type and background...

That's the factor that causes the high level guys to have the wide variety of games. Say worm guard vs lucas leite half guard (there are tons of different working guard games). Even for say half guard there are a bunch of ways to play it that you can win tittles with. What I mean is that there are a bunch of ways that suck that people on the lower levels try do use.

Last edited:

Single Leg
Double Leg

Those are some of the highest percent takedowns. That shits been used since Greek/Roman times. They will always be showcased MMA.

Those are some of the highest percent takedowns. That shits been used since Greek/Roman times. They will always be showcased MMA.

I"m not surprised they are being used, or that they are high percentage. What I'm surprised about is how little of anything else I've seen lately.

Guess there were a couple of Muay Thai trips recently.

Just curious if anyone else noticed the same thing, or if I'm just experiencing some kind of confirmation bias.

I wish inside trips were used more often. They look so much nicer and (more exciting to pull off) than the outside trip.

Last edited:
I have also noticed that fighters are a lot better at defending the RNC. Not an automatic submission anymore.
Heck I remember when people would tap as soon as someone got full mount on them :)

I have also noticed that fighters are a lot better at defending the RNC. Not an automatic submission anymore.
Heck I remember when people would tap as soon as someone got full mount on them :)

That's something else too. People are better, and I feel like fighters are taking more risks with giving up their backs.

Imagine a fighter won a round, lost a round, and is on bottom in the third. He knows he is going to lose. In the "old days" he'd work some kind of conventional strategy. Lately, a lot of people just YOLO and turn to their knees, hoping to stand of fight off the RNC and get on top--try to win by any means. Confidence fighting the choke has to be a part of that.

That's something else too. People are better, and I feel like fighters are taking more risks with giving up their backs.

Imagine a fighter won a round, lost a round, and is on bottom in the third. He knows he is going to lose. In the "old days" he'd work some kind of conventional strategy. Lately, a lot of people just YOLO and turn to their knees, hoping to stand of fight off the RNC and get on top--try to win by any means. Confidence fighting the choke has to be a part of that.
And the fact bottom wrestling is being taught

I wish inside trips were used more often. They look so much nicer and (more exciting to pull off) than the inside trip.
Huh? Did you mean to say you prefer inside trips to outside trips, or was it the other way around?

Im seeing a lot of guys in fights and training at the gym going from a strike to a knee tap to a takedown or back take.

Back